Pattaya To Koh Chang Island

universe2000

I would like to go from Pattaya to Koh Chang Island near Trat. What is the best transportation option?

I believe there is a bus station on Sukumwit. Its cheap, but may stop several times, so it may take too much time.

I would like to take a van if it is a reasonable price, or possibly a tour-style/VIP bus. I'll have two luggages to carry-on.

I assume the transportation will go to the pier, where I can catch a ferry to Koh Chang, and than get a taxi to a hotel.

Any ideas.

Thanks.

I would like to go from Pattaya to Koh Chang Island near Trat. What is the best transportation option?

I believe there is a bus station on Sukumwit. Its cheap, but may stop several times, so it may take too much time.

I would like to take a van if it is a reasonable price, or possibly a tour-style/VIP bus. I'll have two luggages to carry-on.

I assume the transportation will go to the pier, where I can catch a ferry to Koh Chang, and than get a taxi to a hotel.

Any ideas.

Thanks.

Try Koh Chang travel in Soi post office, there office is near the top of the soi near 2nd rd, they have links with quite a few hotels on Koh Chang, they have a number of mini-buses what go to the ferry terminal daily

Edited by dickie58

Any ideas.

Thanks.

Go in a travel agency, and ask for the minibus company called LST (Limousine Service Thailand)

They pick you up from your hotel or house and bring you to your hotel anywhere on Koh Chang.

I always use them, very reliable, on time, and nice minibuses.

I think the price is 630 Baht/person.

Edited by HamSabai

Actually, the bus is fine...basically a non-stop other than a 20-min rest/meal stop before Chanthaburi, and it

has A/C and costs only about 160-Bt+ to get to Trat.

The bus can be caught on the inland side of Sukhumvit, directly across from the end of Pattaya Klang

The bus stop is located just to the south side of the driveway that enters the Driving range that's located

behind Sukhumvit. Travel time is about 4 1/2 hours. From the Trat bus station, you can arrange some transport to the island ferry.

The _direct_ departure bus times to Trat are at 6-AM and 11-AM. If you stop by the location beforehand,

there is a sign (or the moto dops) which can confirm the departure times. Be aware that there are other

buses that go to Trat, at different times, but they have many stops.

Actually, the bus is fine...basically a non-stop other than a 20-min rest/meal stop before Chanthaburi, and it

has A/C and costs only about 160-Bt+ to get to Trat.

The bus can be caught on the inland side of Sukhumvit, directly across from the end of Pattaya Klang

The bus stop is located just to the south side of the driveway that enters the Driving range that's located

behind Sukhumvit. Travel time is about 4 1/2 hours. From the Trat bus station, you can arrange some transport to the island ferry.

The _direct_ departure bus times to Trat are at 6-AM and 11-AM. If you stop by the location beforehand,

there is a sign (or the moto dops) which can confirm the departure times. Be aware that there are other

buses that go to Trat, at different times, but they have many stops.

Wrong! The bus of 11am stops all the time as well to let peoples get in and get out.

The price is 185baht/person, and then when you arrive in Trat you can take a taxibus that will bring you to the ferry pier for 50baht/person.

The cost for the ferry is 100 baht one way or 120baht for 2 way.

• 3 weeks later...

So I decided to take the mini-van service from Pattaya to Koh Chang. I was at Jomtien beach and found a booth there. They quoted 700 baht from Pattaya to the hotel on Koh Chang. It included the ferry cost (which I think was 60 baht). After that, I found another booth that advertised for 600 baht to the hotel.

The mini-van service was convenient. They picked us up at our place and stopped by a few other places to pick up other people. In total there were 8 people in the van. I prefer using a VIP bus since there is more space, but the trip was only about 5.5 hours to arrive at the hotel (including the ferry time) so not too bad. The suspension on the van was a little tight so it was bumpy in some places.

One concern I had was when we got to the Trat Pier, we booked our return with the same agency. Even though they knew when we were returning they still told us to call back one day before we left the island. I thought that was kind of strange. Of course we forgot to call one day in advance. We ended up in an SUV connecting to the pier for Koh Samet before getting back to Pattaya.

It is possible to book van service on Koh Chang. There are several booths to choose from. I think it averages about 650 baht. One person quoted 450 baht. I asked if it was a modern van, and he said it will cost 650 baht for the modern version.

Overall, it was a nice adventure. The hotel was spectacular and the sunsets were beautiful. We didn't venture around the island and just relaxed around the hotel and the nearby streets. We did go to White Sand Beach for one night, which has many beachside restaurants.