Dog Friendly Hotels

redscouse

I will be heading up to Chaing Mai for new year and also a night in Pai maybe, I have two cocker spaniels and we are considering taking them with us. Are there any dog friendly hotels in Chaing Mai or Pai.

Thanks in advance for ny help

Try Liam's Suan Dok Mai guesthouse, they have rooms with a garden where the dog's can stay.

http://www.liamsuandokmai.com/welcome.php

I will be heading up to Chaing Mai for new year and also a night in Pai maybe, I have two cocker spaniels and we are considering taking them with us. Are there any dog friendly hotels in Chaing Mai or Pai.

Thanks in advance for ny help

We stayed at the ComeOn Place (www.comeonplace.net) with our dogs when we first came to Chiang Mai. It was at a great location, just at the corner of the moat near the Suan Buak Haad park. The staff are very friendly and it's full of animals! There're 2 other resident chihuahuas at the reception area, there's a monkey, and there's some fish as well. The owner has several other dogs he keeps at the garden behind the hotel too.

If you are staying only for a day or so, it'll be fine. Anything longer you might want to look elsewhere. It's not super clean or new. The other wing where they do not allow dogs is top notch. It is clean, ultra modern (complete with LCD TV) and has a very nice shower.

There is another one that is a little cleaner. It's just opposite the Chiang Mai Grand View hotel next to the landmark old temple. Not sure of the name as the real estate agent brought us there.

Regards

Matt

Liam's Suan Dok Mai may be a bit more expensive than the Come-on Place, but they have nice clean rooms, a wonderful dog and cat-loving owner (all her dogs and cats are rescues) and delicious home-cooked Belgium food.

Highly recommended. :o

Edited by Nienke

Nienke runs a nice place, they could go on holiday while you do the same. I had my poodle white fluffy thing (we never determined if he was a poodle or bichon etc) stay with her for almost a month while being trained and it was great. new playmates and some wonderful people tot ake care of him.

BTW Nienke, Luukchin has taken over the pack here, we think that Teddybear the standard poodle has said "I'm too old for this crap" and stepped aside. Luuk snaps at him and Teddy backs away. The shepard runs and hides as always.

thanks nienke, i could do with some nice Belgian waffles :o

is is possible to leave the dogs alone there while we go out to eat as a family or will we need to take the dogs out with us?

Hi

I like your original inquiry, and the advice from Nienke, whom I know and much respect. But I have a 'but', and it's quite a big 'but'.

I love dogs so much that I've never, ever had one. Simply, my lifestyle has always been so erratic and peripatetic that all the movements and travel would have been grossly unfair on my dog. If I'd had one.

Dogs are territorial and like routine. Only now in late middle age do I have both, but now I have a young child, too young to play responsibly and safely with a dog. So, very saly, I suppose I'll never have one.

You are travelling around, looking for a hotel which will take dogs, and now asking if they will 'dogsit' for you while you go out to somewhere in the evening - a smart restaurant maybe - which will not take dogs.

Isn't this just a tad, er, how can I say this, selfish?

Are you a real dog lover, or are they just fluffy accessories to your mainstream life?

BTW Nienke, Luukchin has taken over the pack here, we think that Teddybear the standard poodle has said "I'm too old for this crap" and stepped aside. Luuk snaps at him and Teddy backs away. The shepard runs and hides as always.

Hahaha, who would have thought that! Little Luukchin parading around as Master of the house.

On the other hand, it is also possible that Teddybear really has something like you said: "I'm too old for this crap" with the emphasize on 'this crap' and just lets Luukchin, as long as Luukchin doesn't overstep the fine line.

Kasper, my GSD, is a good example: He is so gentle that he clearly avoids confrontations. However, when someone really oversteps the line then he's pretty quick and clear in telling him or her of with the big-mouth down out and under.

I'm glad that Luukchin went through the whle travel quite fine. How is his behavior now?

I like your original inquiry, and the advice from Nienke, whom I know and much respect. But I have a 'but', and it's quite a big 'but'.

I love dogs so much that I've never, ever had one. Simply, my lifestyle has always been so erratic and peripatetic that all the movements and travel would have been grossly unfair on my dog. If I'd had one.

Dogs are territorial and like routine. Only now in late middle age do I have both, but now I have a young child, too young to play responsibly and safely with a dog. So, very saly, I suppose I'll never have one.

You are travelling around, looking for a hotel which will take dogs, and now asking if they will 'dogsit' for you while you go out to somewhere in the evening - a smart restaurant maybe - which will not take dogs.

Are you a real dog lover, or are they just fluffy accessories to your mainstream life?

AH, never say never, as your child does grow up and there is a big chance that at a certain point there will be on top of the birthday or X-mas wish list a pet. :o

But you've got a good point, though. Dogs need routine, some more than other. Sure, many would love to come with the owners for a ride and walk elsewhere.

It is the coming and going of the owners, while the dog is in an unfamiliar place that many dogs do not understand.

When owners board their dog at the kennel and ask me if they can come to visit their dog, I always say that that is possible but it depends on the dog. In some cases the dog becomes quite anxious after the owner leaves again with lots of howling, barking and in some cases they stop eating. When that happens I ask the owners to reconsider their visits, especially in the beginning of the dog's stay till they have settled in.

thanks nienke, i could do with some nice Belgian waffles :D

is is possible to leave the dogs alone there while we go out to eat as a family or will we need to take the dogs out with us?

Hi

let me respond in a polite way.

I love my dogs, they are healthy and well treated, they are showered with attention and like i said earlier they are father and son, they get to regularly see the other puppies from the litter and the mother. Every day they are walked for a few miles by myself and we have a large garden for them at home, (quite why I am having to explain myself to someone without dogs is beyond me but you questioned my treatment of my dogs so here we go).

Now maybe English is not your first language so forgive me if it isn't and that's why you didn't read my posts properly. I never asked anyone to dog sit or even mentioned dog sitting. the hotel mentioned has rooms with private gardens for dogs and my question was whether the dogs could be left, is the garden secure, totally different from asking about dog sitting, while we go out to eat (on the chance that the dogs will not be allowed at restaurants, are you thinking the dogs would be left without food for the whole hour that I might be away from them?).

As for the dogs being fluffy accessories to my mainstream life, well I have the option of leaving them in Bangkok but choose to take them with me, not really the actions of someone who doesnt love his dogs.

Do me a favour in future, read the posts, engage your brain and then think before you choose to question someone about their behaviour and their treatment of their animals... theres a good boy.

So Mr. Holier than thou non dog owner, any more pathetic questions about my dog ownership, maybe you would like to send a vet round to examine them and question my neighbours about the excellent treatment they both get just to settle your mind about the oh so selfish owner :o

thanks nienke, i could do with some nice Belgian waffles :D

Hi

let me respond in a polite way.

I love my dogs, they are healthy and well treated, they are showered with attention and like i said earlier they are father and son, they get to regularly see the other puppies from the litter and the mother. Every day they are walked for a few miles by myself and we have a large garden for them at home, (quite why I am having to explain myself to someone without dogs is beyond me but you questioned my treatment of my dogs so here we go).

Now maybe English is not your first language so forgive me if it isn't and that's why you didn't read my posts properly. I never asked anyone to dog sit or even mentioned dog sitting. the hotel mentioned has rooms with private gardens for dogs and my question was whether the dogs could be left, is the garden secure, totally different from asking about dog sitting, while we go out to eat (on the chance that the dogs will not be allowed at restaurants, are you thinking the dogs would be left without food for the whole hour that I might be away from them?).

As for the dogs being fluffy accessories to my mainstream life, well I have the option of leaving them in Bangkok but choose to take them with me, not really the actions of someone who doesnt love his dogs.

Do me a favour in future, read the posts, engage your brain and then think before you choose to question someone about their behaviour and their treatment of their animals... theres a good boy.

So Mr. Holier than thou non dog owner, any more pathetic questions about my dog ownership, maybe you would like to send a vet round to examine them and question my neighbours about the excellent treatment they both get just to settle your mind about the oh so selfish owner :o

Y'know, I predicted your response yesterday and I was, as our Amereekan friends say, BANG ON THE MONEY.

An immediately defensive/aggressive response, a (deliberate?) misreading of my extremely reasonable and fair remarks, and ignoring my constructive attempt to hold up a mirror into which you might look and consider your attitude(s).

Your response was not polite. Neither was it helpful or constructive.

In fact, you come over to me now as someone who uses large dogs to boost their flagging self esteem and.......whoops, sorry, I'm falling into the same trap.

On this auspicious day, I wish you and your family and pets all the very best for 2009. Your very slightly offensive and ingenuous remarks are forgiven, in the spirit of Christmas.

get off your high horse, at no point did i misinterpret your post. you questioned whether I look after my dogs, your accusation is that i am selfish and have dogs as fluffy accessories and I am not a dog lover. you believe that leaving the dogs for a short time makes you a bad dog owner, of course its easy to say this whilst making excuses about not having dogs. Of course my post is defensive or would you rather me admit to something wrong that you had dreamt up in over active imagination?

As for self esteem, well I have plenty of that son, I and my family are as happy as our dogs our (our large dogs haha, do you know what a cocker spaniel is?).

So tell me oh wise one, where in my posts (up until you decided to spout forth your accusations) do I have a problem with my attitude? My attitude is fine until some stranger who has never met me in my life, has no idea who I am, has no idea about where i live, what i do questions my ability to look after my animals.

my response was polite, this one isn't. you sir have no right to question me about anything, take your christmas wishes and stick them right up your arse

I am now questioning your abilities as a parent, what do i base this on? well it seems to be based on the same logic with which you decided to question my dog ownership, no logic at all.

The word pompous springs to mind when I read both of your posts.

now you have your aggressive response you so craved

Edited by redscouse

get off your high horse, at no point did i misinterpret your post. you questioned whether I look after my dogs, your accusation is that i am selfish and have dogs as fluffy accessories and I am not a dog lover. you believe that leaving the dogs for a short time makes you a bad dog owner, of course its easy to say this whilst making excuses about not having dogs. Of course my post is defensive or would you rather me admit to something wrong that you had dreamt up in over active imagination?

As for self esteem, well I have plenty of that son, I and my family are as happy as our dogs our (our large dogs haha, do you know what a cocker spaniel is?).

So tell me oh wise one, where in my posts (up until you decided to spout forth your accusations) do I have a problem with my attitude? My attitude is fine until some stranger who has never met me in my life, has no idea who I am, has no idea about where i live, what i do questions my ability to look after my animals.

my response was polite, this one isn't. you sir have no right to question me about anything, take your christmas wishes and stick them right up your arse

I am now questioning your abilities as a parent, what do i base this on? well it seems to be based on the same logic with which you decided to question my dog ownership, no logic at all.

The word pompous springs to mind when I read both of your posts.

now you have your aggressive response you so craved

Merry Christmas. Please let us know if you have any more inquiries about Chiang Mai.

Cheers Bill, merry christmas to you and your family.

I have been Chiang Mai earlier in the year, I stayed at the mandarin oriental up there, I liked the city very much and that's why we will head up there for new year. We didn't take the dogs last time as we flew and the hotel is not dog friendly.

• 1 month later...