Marriage Visa

Hey guys !

I hold a British passport and coming to LOS in January to marry my longtime thai GF. I am planning to stay in Thailand permanently and eventually get a residence permit.My questions are :

1) Is it better to get a tourist visa before getting here ? (rather than the 30-day stay permit on arrival)

2) will I need a trip out of the country before I can get the desired visa ?

3) what type of O-visa is best to get after the marriage ? ( I am planning to stay in Thailand for 45 days , then go back to the UK for 1-2 months to sort out the necessary funds to start a new life, then come back to LOS to stay permanently.

4) Is a residence permit guaranteed after three consecutive extensions ? ( I also hold a Spanish passport if that helps)

And a last question on behalf of my mate who's coming together to meet his GF to , but hasn't sorted out his divorce papers back home yet: Are you aware of any cases where marriages could be registered in remote amphuns (e.g. near Ubon) without the need of the embassy papers (stating that you are single etc)? (but perhaps with some proper compensation :o ?)

Cheers,

Charlie

I know scouse would clear you up, but like me give it a shot.

1) If you want to stay more than 30 days, get a tourist visa.

2) yes

3) Multiple entry would be good

4) not really, but things are changing as the years go by

5)No. get a proper divorce papers first than get married. If not things could be pretty nasty.

I hope this help but i know some of the TV members (lopburi3 or scouse) will explain you more.

Explorer :o

Explorer has answered your questions but I would advise you to give thought to how you intend to live here and obtain PR as you have not indicated any employment which is going to be rather important in that quest.

On second read see you say long term GF so perhaps you are retired? If so PR has not been very easy to obtain AFAIK.

Edited by lopburi3

Explorer has answered your questions but I would advise you to give thought to how you intend to live here and obtain PR as you have not indicated any employment which is going to be rather important in that quest.

On second read see you say long term GF so perhaps you are retired?  If so PR has not been very easy to obtain AFAIK.

Your mate will need the Embassy documentation wherever he gets married. When are you planning to marry ?

Are you aware of any cases where marriages could be registered in remote amphuns (e.g. near Ubon) without the need of the embassy papers (stating that you are single etc)? (but perhaps with some proper compensation  ?)

Doesn't matter how remote the Ampour is, and I got Married in a very remote one, you need to get a document that is like an "OK to Marry" from the government. I paid 2000 baht to the translator to sort it. They check all the stuff like sivorce papers etc etc. Only then with that certificate will the Ampour "Officially" marry you.

many thanks for your replies.

I am 40 years old and planning to start a business in a few months from now.

I'll tell my friend to follow the legal way, that was also my advice to him beforehand. (although I am aware that such practices do take place )

many thanks for your replies.

I am 40 years old and planning to start a business in a few months from now.

I'll  tell my friend to follow the legal way, that was also my advice to him beforehand. (although I  am aware that  such practices do take place )

When are you planning to get married Barry ?

late January 2005

Explorer is correct, except that a visa status change is possible without leaving the country.

Previously, it was possible to apply for a PR as a retiree until former Interior Minister Purachai upset the system by having that category removed. However, in the case of a retiree, a PR application can be submitted on the grounds that you will support a Thai wife. However, you will need to meet the qualifying financial requirements of Immigration.

Supat Skonchai

Skonchai & Oliver Law Office

Hey guys !

I hold a British passport and coming to LOS in January to marry my longtime thai GF. I am planning to stay in Thailand permanently and eventually get a residence permit.My questions are :

1) Is it better to get a tourist visa before getting here ?  (rather than the 30-day stay permit on arrival)

2) will I need a trip out of the country  before I can get the desired visa ?

3) what type of O-visa is best to get after the marriage ? ( I am planning to stay in Thailand for 45 days , then  go back to the UK for 1-2 months to sort out the necessary funds to start a new life, then come back to LOS to stay permanently.

4) Is a residence permit guaranteed after three consecutive extensions ? ( I also hold a Spanish passport if that helps)

And a last question on behalf of my mate who's coming together to meet his GF to , but hasn't sorted out his divorce papers back home yet: Are you aware of any cases where marriages could be registered in remote amphuns (e.g. near Ubon) without the need of the embassy papers (stating that you are single etc)? (but perhaps with some proper compensation  :o ?)

Cheers,

Charlie

Charlie,

Explorer is correct, except that a visa status change is possible (although not guaranteed) without leaving the country. Previously, it was possible to apply for a PR as a retiree until former Interior Minister Purachai upset the system by having that category removed. However, in the case of a retiree, a PR application can be submitted on the grounds that you will support a Thai wife. However, you will need to meet the qualifying financial and other requirements of Immigration.

Supat Skonchai

Charlie,

Explorer is correct, except that a visa status change is possible (although not guaranteed) without leaving the country. Previously, it was possible to apply for a PR as a retiree until former Interior Minister Purachai upset the system by having that category removed. However, in the case of a retiree, a PR application can be submitted on the grounds that you will support a Thai wife. However, you will need to meet the qualifying financial and other requirements of Immigration.

Supat Skonchai

Forget that 30 day permit. In your circumstances, it is useless. Best is a Non-Imm O visa, but a tourist visa will suffice.

Dr. Patpong:

I am the following situation:

In Thailand now on a B Visa based on studying investment. Permission to stay until End of January.

Have not yet found the investment and work / company I intend to, but probably will in half a Year or so.

Plan in marrying my lady Mid February.

Right now I plan to either get a 30 Day extension on the permit, or leave Thailand for the border and come on a 30 Day, then get married, then go to Penang with Marriage Documents, letter from wife, Fotos and so on for an O Visa.

Your comment before strongly suggests a Tourist Visa instead of a 30 Day. Also in my case? Would mean one more longer and expensive trip instead of a cheap border run.

Got a new Passport this May. So far one 30 Day stamp (with 13 Days spent in Thailand), and a Double Entry B Visa. First leg spent 90 Days, left for 8 or 10 Days and got back on the 2nd Leg.

My old Passport had about 2 or 3 30 Day stapms a Year (for the last 4 or 5 Years), only one of them used for the full 30 Days. In these Years I was a real tourist, although with a little higher frequency than the normal once a Year Tourists.

Do you think I should really go for a Tourist Visa, then marry, then get an O Visa?

Sunny

Dr. Patpong:

I am the following situation:

In Thailand now on a B Visa based on studying investment. Permission to stay until End of January.

Have not yet found the investment and work / company I intend to, but probably will in half a Year or so.

Plan in marrying my lady Mid February.

Right now I plan to either get a 30 Day extension on the permit, or leave Thailand for the border and come on a 30 Day, then get married, then go to Penang with Marriage Documents, letter from wife, Fotos and so on for an O Visa.

Your comment before strongly suggests a Tourist Visa instead of a 30 Day. Also in my case? Would mean one more longer and expensive trip instead of a cheap border run.

Got a new Passport this May. So far one 30 Day stamp (with 13 Days spent in Thailand), and a Double Entry B Visa. First leg spent 90 Days, left for 8 or 10 Days and got back on the 2nd Leg.

My old Passport had about 2 or 3 30 Day stapms a Year (for the last 4 or 5 Years), only one of them used for the full 30 Days. In these Years I was a real tourist, although with a little higher frequency than the normal once a Year Tourists.

Do you think I should really go for a Tourist Visa, then marry, then get an O Visa?

Sunny

Get a tourist visa outside Thailand, which will allow a 60 day stay. Get married within the 60 days and then head on into immigration with the wife and written evidence of your income/savings and ask for conversion of the tourist visa to a non-immigrant O visa, and apply for a one year extension. I think that is your best solution. Happy new year.

Thanks for your input, Doc.

One more Question: With a 30 Day extension on my B Visa (in case I get one, of course) I would not be able to get the transfer to O-Marriage?

Sunny

Highly unlikely. If you are married during the currency of the non-extended B visa, you may be able to persuade Immigration to convert it to a marriage based O. Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...

:o

Thanks for your input, Doc.

One more Question: With a 30 Day extension on my B Visa (in case I get one, of course) I would not be able to get the transfer to O-Marriage?

Sunny

Highly unlikely. If you are married during the currency of the non-extended B visa, you may be able to persuade Immigration to convert it to a marriage based O. Good luck.