New Passport & Visa - How Does That Affect Present Thai Licence?

aromsia

I recently finished a work contract and so left the country, then returned on an O Visa (3 months). I have also changed my passport (renewal time). My question is do I need to go to the Dept of Land Transport to change my driving licence to reflect the new passport and visa numbers? I don't have a job at present and thus no work permit - but I do own a car registered in my name in the Tabian Rot.

Could I be in the absurd situation where I no longer hold a valid licence and can't drive my car? Another concern is that the insurance on my car could be declared invalid in the event of an accident.

Anyone with any experience in this? Thanks in advance.

Not as far as I'm aware.

My 5 year licence was due to expire after my passport, the nice lady said to keep a copy of the old passport for renewal time :o

I now have a new PP (old one was full), I 'spose I'll find out if I have a shunt but I'm not worried.

Edited by Crossy

I cant imagine so.. I have multiple passports.. How would that work ???

If you check the number on your Thai licence, you should notice that it corresponds to the number of one of your passports - presumably the one with the Non-Imm Visa. If your visa expires (say along with your passport) and you need to leave the country and return on a new passport with a new visa, your licence would no longer match up. I am wondering if that makes the licence itself invalid.

Another thought:

Think of it another way. How many of us still keep an 'updated' driver's licence from our home countries? It may have a 'valid to' date on it, but in most places that licence becomes 'invalid' once you are out of their jurisdiction for 3 or 6 months (depending on the place).

It's handy to have if you move back there - just pick up where you left off - who'd know the difference. BUT, in the meantime, if you use that licence to rent a car, get into a major accident, and they find out you haven't lived in Texas or Brighton or Adelaide for the last 8 years....what do you think the insurance company is going to say about that?

Edited by aromsia