Bananas.

Crossy

Ok, so we have a dozen or so banana plants which are producing well, very nice the bananas are too :o

But what do I do with all the cut stalks and leaves of which we now have a decent sized stack, I'm all for letting them dry out and putting a match to them but there must be a better way.

Bright ideas anyone?

Ok, so we have a dozen or so banana plants which are producing well, very nice the bananas are too :o

But what do I do with all the cut stalks and leaves of which we now have a decent sized stack, I'm all for letting them dry out and putting a match to them but there must be a better way.

Bright ideas anyone?

My Wife tells me you are correct.

That's what we do.

I was wondering about cutting them up and using as mulch, thus putting the nutrients back into the ground around the plants. Seems like a lot of effort even with her razor-sharp machete thing.

Match it is :o

Bright ideas anyone?

I run ours through a chipper and compost them. Then they get tilled into the garden.

rgds

I was wondering about cutting them up and using as mulch, thus putting the nutrients back into the ground around the plants. Seems like a lot of effort even with her razor-sharp machete thing.

Match it is :o

Imagine if every house in Thailand decided to put a match to all their rubbish on the same day, It almost seems that way now, not a day goes’ by without the fragments from all the surrounding fires landing in the pool, not to mention the acrid smell all day long.

Doesn’t anyone care about the neighbors when they decide to just burn the rubbish just because it seems easiest thing to do.

I am quite easy going, but it pisses me off

Imagine if every house in Thailand decided to put a match to all their rubbish on the same day, It almost seems that way now, not a day goes’ by without the fragments from all the surrounding fires landing in the pool, not to mention the acrid smell all day long.

Point taken, but we're not talking about poly bags etc. here, just plant materials. Shouldn't produce anything particularly noxious, and yes, I do care about our neighbours, so burning would be limited to when the wind was blowing onto the river :o I wish others in our area would at least think before lighting up the matches.

Any idea what I'd pay for a small locally made chipper, we have no power on the property so a gasoline unit would be needed.

Dunno if this is being done in LOS...

If you have a wooden or bamboo floor, and you need a more-environmentally friendly way of polishing it plus it could be a lot fun for kids, try this. Stomp on the the whole leaves and knead it between your feet, until the wax and juice of the leaves and stems get extracted. Polish the floor with it, then let dry. You only need a dry rag to make it shine later.

Have not done this for years...but I have great memories of it.

Also, leaves can be used to line your iron.. natural wax makes the iron slide better on clothes plus I kinda like the smell it emits.

Bright ideas anyone?

My wife cuts them up and puts them around the new growth.

Any idea what I'd pay for a small locally made chipper, we have no power on the property so a gasoline unit would be needed.

The unit I bought was designed with a motor but like you I wanted to use it where there was no electricity. The guy welded up the stand and I had him mount a Honda GX200 I had laying around. Cost me B15,000.

rgds