Statistical Relationships

Mapguy

Our friend, Priceless, is valued by us (including me) for his statistical expertise with one limited category of study, descriptive statistics. I am certain he has time to turn his attention away from the measurement of two relatively useful collection points for his beloved data for air pollution in Chiang Mai Province! Perhaps he knows something also about the "craft" or "mumbo jumbo" of inferential statistics, a much more arcane field! Anyway......................

My very loosely-phrased (parse it as you will, Priceless!) proposal is to study the relationship between the number of posts/views on a TV topic with their "meaningful" nature. Simply put, that would be "free water offered at restaurants" and "hamburgers" as opposed, say, to "pollution" or "schools" in Chiang Mai.

And you thought research was about numbers!! Surprise, surprise!!

The best statistical studies are based upon a sound theory that yields well-grounded propositions for study. That is a very tough row to hoe. But, to get back to TV, there are different possibilities. One might be: "Most posters/viewers on TV are totally superficial <deleted>." Another more polite existential proposition might be: "Most posters/viewers on TV are interested in Maslow's most basic needs." What are they? Check the attached, especially, the most basic in the order of needs.

I do appreciate that folks --- including yours truly --- have their different needs and desires. I am not a mink and I do cook rather good hamburgers, if I say so myself. Regardless, your help is needed! Would you help in posing a meaningful research question or two?! Thanks!

Don't let it dissuade you from enjoying the happiest of Christmases, if that is your persuasion, lighting a menorah, doing good somewhere for someone, or whatever!

Cheers!

Maslow_s_Needs.pdf

Edited by Mapguy

Here are some forum stats for you, or maybe that should be facts based on statistical analysis. As I run a bunch of my own websites (with a few of them being dynamic projects), I obviously did a little research in the early days about forums, what makes them work, and the demographic criterion for attracting visitors be they lurkers or participants.

My research showed that those who live in Forums (daily participants) generally tend to attract the same demographic, which are the stuck-in-the-mud 'angry' male in his 40s and 50s who participate in forum threads simply because they're simple to use and a great place to vent their own frustrations (whatever they happen to be!). The above is of course a generalization, but if anyone reading it gets uptight then, well, if the cap fits, wear it!

Over the years in various forums, I’ve had some hostile responses to perfectly inoffensive posts, and in my then innocence I’d often take the bait and let the battle commence. But nowadays it’s water off a ducks back unless the attack is personal and needs defending.

The simple solution to avoiding forum wars is this; the moment you get a negative response to a post, quickly amend it, make you apologies (if necessary), and let it go..

If a forum participant posts something like, ‘I THINK you’re a crook, then that’s up to them. What other people think about you is none of your business. Their thoughts are their own, and they are entitled to them. However, if a forum participant posts, you ARE a crook, then it’s personal and needs defending. What someone thinks your are, is not the same as what someone says (accuses) you of being.

It’s been said time and time again in here when people jump in and complain about a post or a poster, and that is, if the topic or poster doesn’t interest you, then either sod off without leaving comment, or don’t visit the thread to begin with. But then again, some folks can’t help themselves, whether they have an interest in the discussion or not, hence the second paragraph from the top above.

Aitch

Here are some forum stats for you, or maybe that should be facts based on statistical analysis. As I run a bunch of my own websites (with a few of them being dynamic projects), I obviously did a little research in the early days about forums, what makes them work, and the demographic criterion for attracting visitors be they lurkers or participants.

My research showed that those who live in Forums (daily participants) generally tend to attract the same demographic, which are the stuck-in-the-mud 'angry' male in his 40s and 50s who participate in forum threads simply because they're simple to use and a great place to vent their own frustrations (whatever they happen to be!). The above is of course a generalization, but if anyone reading it gets uptight then, well, if the cap fits, wear it!

Over the years in various forums, I've had some hostile responses to perfectly inoffensive posts, and in my then innocence I'd often take the bait and let the battle commence. But nowadays it's water off a ducks back unless the attack is personal and needs defending.

The simple solution to avoiding forum wars is this; the moment you get a negative response to a post, quickly amend it, make you apologies (if necessary), and let it go..

If a forum participant posts something like, 'I THINK you're a crook, then that's up to them. What other people think about you is none of your business. Their thoughts are their own, and they are entitled to them. However, if a forum participant posts, you ARE a crook, then it's personal and needs defending. What someone thinks your are, is not the same as what someone says (accuses) you of being.

It's been said time and time again in here when people jump in and complain about a post or a poster, and that is, if the topic or poster doesn't interest you, then either sod off without leaving comment, or don't visit the thread to begin with. But then again, some folks can't help themselves, whether they have an interest in the discussion or not, hence the second paragraph from the top above.

Aitch

Interesting reflection! Thanks!

I once put out a general call for substantive posts about important issues that really matter. Then I promptly flipped back to frivolity and foolery. I am the moderator who finally made the free water thread invisible. But there is something to be said abo0ut silliness. You know, sanook. So sometimes we just sanook around, and act samart.

Maslow. Maslow! :o

I once put out a general call for substantive posts about important issues that really matter. Then I promptly flipped back to frivolity and foolery. I am the moderator who finally made the free water thread invisible. But there is something to be said abo0ut silliness. You know, sanook. So sometimes we just sanook around, and act samart.

P.B may i please ask, why you made the water thread go away? If there was a problem with the forum rules, what took you so long?

P.B may i please ask, why you made the water thread go away? If there was a problem with the forum rules, what took you so long?

Too busy, man. Bill Gates needed my advice about investments, Warren Buffet needed advice about his unibrow, Obama was pestering me about his cabinet, miles to go and babies to kiss and superfast motorbikes to ride before I sleep, etc. Being retired is no easy job.