Need Software To Make 'back Ups' Of Dvds

Richb2004v2

I am running Xandros on my Asus eeePC. It does just about everything I need. However one thing I can not do at the minute is copy DVDs or CDs. I am sure there must be a way. Could anyone recommend software to download.

Thanks.

If you've used Nero on Windows you'll be used to K3B. GnomeBaker is a good one also.

If you're looking for a program that you can use to rip and transcode your dvds, look at dvd::rip. Fair use doctrine says that you can utilise it to rip your dvd to a storage medium and play them back for personal use at a later date. The program is extremely easy to use and as long as you're not planning on doing the actual transcoding on your eeePC (which would be very slow at that task unless you use the VCD profile), you should enjoy the results. Your eeePC has more than enough 'uumph' to play back the files. Another option would be to rip the dvd to an external drive using dvd43 to create an iso that you can mount when you're ready to play them back.

• 1 month later...

I have located and downloaded K3b, but have had hit the usual Linux brick wall of having no idea how to get it going. I now have many many files downloaded all related to K3b. I have no idea what to do now. Why does everything on Linux have to be so difficult? Or is it just me :o ? I just want software that works like Nero. i.e. I click on it. It opens. I copy DVDs. Is this possible? Thanks for the previous help.

I have located and downloaded K3b, but have had hit the usual Linux brick wall of having no idea how to get it going. I now have many many files downloaded all related to K3b. I have no idea what to do now. Why does everything on Linux have to be so difficult? Or is it just me :o ? I just want software that works like Nero. i.e. I click on it. It opens. I copy DVDs. Is this possible? Thanks for the previous help.

Linux applications may not "work" exactly the same as Windows applications but have the same functionality in most cases. It might help if you described the k3b filename, you downloaded. Sounds like you have yet to install it. I've attached a screenshot of k3b when it's loaded.

post-9988-1233459997_thumb.jpg

Linux applications may not "work" exactly the same as Windows applications but have the same functionality in most cases. It might help if you described the k3b filename, you downloaded. Sounds like you have yet to install it. I've attached a screenshot of k3b when it's loaded.

Sorry, for some reason I didn't get your other response Rich....but you see that box in the bottom pane labled "Further Actions..."? Click it and choose "Copy DVD".

I am not as far as that at all. If I were I would be fine, as thats just what I'm after. To start I did a search for 'K3b download', found a site and downloaded it. This didn't take long. I now have a file full of icons related to K3b. Some say 'install' as well as other things. I have tried double clicking on many of them to try to get it to install, but nothing does the trick. I've read many of the 'read me' files too, but made no progress. I am on my Windows PC right now, but will take a screen shot from the Linux one later and post it.

Thanks.

What did you download and how did you do it?

AFAIK Xandros uses the Debian package manager but I don't see a Xandros specific binary (ie program) on that page.

If you downloaded the source code then you will need to compile it to make a functioning executable program, but after googling a bit it seems that Xandros on your machine doesn't come with the things necessary to compile and/or build programs.

This page seems to offer suggestions but the best thing would probably be to bite the bullet and switch to a better distribution.

What did you download and how did you do it?

AFAIK Xandros uses the Debian package manager but I don't see a Xandros specific binary (ie program) on that page.

If you downloaded the source code then you will need to compile it to make a functioning executable program, but after googling a bit it seems that Xandros on your machine doesn't come with the things necessary to compile and/or build programs.

This page seems to offer suggestions but the best thing would probably be to bite the bullet and switch to a better distribution.

Thanks. I'm contemplating trying Ubuntu again even though I did have one or two issues with it last time. If I fail with that I will probably just go back to Windows. I think that to manage with Linux I really need a friend close by to help out at times like this. It doesn't seem to be something to do on my own with my lack of skills and knowledge.

• 2 months later...

Ok, after some time I have now switched to Ubuntueee with a view to being able to use more apps.

I have again downloaded k3B and I'm now at the same spot as before with Xandros. There were instructions on the download page which although not clear seemed to be telling me to enter instructions into the terminal window. I did this and nothing happened at all. This is one of my few remaining requirements to having Linux do everything I need so any help appreciated.

post-33112-1238907200_thumb.png

At last I've done it, and it was SO easy. I can't believe I searched for hours and hours to try to do this when it was at my finger tips the whole time :o . I was on the verge of scrapping Linux again too.

In the end all I had to do was go to the 'synaptic manager' scroll down a long list until I found 'k3B' and install it. Linux managed the whole process itself. I didn't have to mess around with code or terminals or anything. Amazing! What a fantastic feature that I had no idea I existed. I have tried so many times to download programs for Linux and ended up with folders of stuff I had no idea what to do with. I have now downloaded and installed 'kstars' which I have previously tried to do more than once.

I know this thread is dead but I just wanted to share my good news.

Linux will live on, on my machine, for a while longer at least. :D

Some distro like pclinuxos recommend you not install from anywhere, but the mirror sites they sync to with synaptic as the software is tested for use in that distro.    Check in the settings repositories and you can see which site you are using.  Check only one at a time.  Once you learn to make an address you find they are everywhere in the world.  For Thailand the national mirror is best as no international connection required.  Its a great server and supports many distro.   http://www2.mirror.in.th./osarchive/

I forgot to add turn on the cache in synaptic and save copies of everything you install.  Later using gen base you can build a local repositorie and re installing or sharing that software is vary fast.  I have a complete pclinuxos repo and something like open office 202mb take 3 sec to download and 8 seconds to install, no reboot required. 

plus if you reload and then mark upgrade it downloads and upgrades everything installed in the system. not just the os, but everything that needs it.

At last I've done it, and it was SO easy. I can't believe I searched for hours and hours to try to do this when it was at my finger tips the whole time :o . I was on the verge of scrapping Linux again too.

In the end all I had to do was go to the 'synaptic manager' scroll down a long list until I found 'k3B' and install it. Linux managed the whole process itself. I didn't have to mess around with code or terminals or anything. Amazing! What a fantastic feature that I had no idea I existed. I have tried so many times to download programs for Linux and ended up with folders of stuff I had no idea what to do with. I have now downloaded and installed 'kstars' which I have previously tried to do more than once.

Yeah, package management really makes life easier.

In case you need to back up original dual-layer dvd's onto cheap single layer dvd-r's, k9copy is the best option. It's an equivalent of DVDShrink for windows. Lets you discard bonus materials and audio tracks you're not interested in, to reduce the compression ratio(less compression=higher quality) needed to fit the movie into a single layer dvd.

Yeah, package management really makes life easier.

In case you need to back up original dual-layer dvd's onto cheap single layer dvd-r's, k9copy is the best option. It's an equivalent of DVDShrink for windows. Lets you discard bonus materials and audio tracks you're not interested in, to reduce the compression ratio(less compression=higher quality) needed to fit the movie into a single layer dvd.

Thanks for that. Unfortunately I still have a problem with K3b that you might be able to help me with.

When I try to copy a DVD it tells me that my temp directory does not have enough space, which is true as it shows only 141mb. I've tried to change its locations but it remains at 141mb. Any idea what this could be? I'll add some screen shots later. I really want to get this thing working.

Thanks.

why dont you just copy what you want to backup/save to an external hard drive?

Well, there in is my next Linux problem. My new external drive will not mount in Ubuntu. I'm trying to search for answers now.

Anyway, I sorted k3b in the end. I just had to unlock space and assign it. I'm happy about that, but not about the unmountable memory.

Oh and i changed my usb extension cable that helped i think that was the real problem got a usb2 cable ??

Whats a USB2 cable?

Actually it is failing to mount the USB sticks too.

I have k3b solved now. I am copying as I type this. So thats good.

I now only need to solve the mounting problem and retrieve my lost Open Office which went whilst following instructions to upgrade from 2.4 to 3.0.