Address Reporting

I had been doing this (at Maesai)for my Chiangrai address. Soon after the last such I moved to Chiangmai intending to do the next one there when next due. But I've now read that one should report an address change immediately - which seems sensible enough, but I still want to avoid a hefty fine (5000 bht?) for not having done so. How can I do this? If they want to look at my new rental agreement it will show a start date - what if I tell them that in fact I didn't in fact move there on the date or that the start date was changed without making a written amendment? Or can I just avoid showing the rental agreement?

I had been doing this (at Maesai)for my Chiangrai address. Soon after the last such I moved to Chiangmai intending to do the next one there when next due. But I've now read that one should report an address change immediately - which seems sensible enough, but I still want to avoid a hefty fine (5000 bht?) for not having done so. How can I do this? If they want to look at my new rental agreement it will show a start date - what if I tell them that in fact I didn't in fact move there on the date or that the start date was changed without making a written amendment? Or can I just avoid showing the rental agreement?

There is a law that says you have to report your new address within 24 hours of moving. However it is very rarely inforced.

I did this a couple of years ago and the Immigration Official didn't know what it was and threw it in the bin. I shouldn't worry too much.

This is the form.

There is a law that says you have to report your new address within 24 hours of moving. However it is very rarely inforced.

I did this a couple of years ago and the Immigration Official didn't know what it was and threw it in the bin. I shouldn't worry too much.

This is the form.

Thanks a lot for that.

So the form you kindly put here for me is all they want? No other docs? (Of course I'll take my passport along anyway.) And after that I do the 90 day reporting in the normal way when it becomes due?

Hope the Chiangmai office is as easy going as yours.

This is the form.

Thanks a lot for that.

So the form you kindly put here for me is all they want? No other docs? (Of course I'll take my passport along anyway.) And after that I do the 90 day reporting in the normal way when it becomes due?

Hope the Chiangmai office is as easy going as yours.

It does not hurt to do it, but hardly anyone does.

Several months ago popped up to Immigreation in Nong Khai with such a form needed it to us as verification of residence - the rather portly immigration lady (you know her if you ben to immigration in NK) looked at me as if to say "what are you up to). It was lucky for me that her male supervisor glanced across and said something to the effect - "that is correct 24 hour notification of changing address - and I am sure went on to say "for christ sakes stamp and sign it and get on with your work"

Sometimes things work in mysterios ways :o

You mean that most people who change addresses during the 90 day period simply wait for the end of the 90 day period and the normal reporting date? This was my original intention - before the 24 hr rule was brought to my notice.

It would be great if someone with Chiangmai experience came in on the thread with recent experience.

You mean that most people who change addresses during the 90 day period simply wait for the end of the 90 day period and the normal reporting date? This was my original intention - before the 24 hr rule was brought to my notice.

Correct

It would be great if someone with Chiangmai experience came in on the thread with recent experience.

There must be someone out there from CM

Correct

There must be someone out there from CM

In that case I'll do that too. If the worst came to the worst the 5000 fine is apparently a fixed/flat one whatever the delay.

(Unfortunately for my present purpose, the Chiangmai immigr office has a reputation for efficiency.

I turned in a TM28 in Jomtien in mid-2008. The agent had to ask her boss about it. Then she cut off the bottom and stapled it into my passport with a stamp indicating that she had re-set my 90 days reporting date.

I hope that is the policy at all offices. It felt like a nice little reward for playing by the rules.

I turned in a TM28 in Jomtien in mid-2008. The agent had to ask her boss about it. Then she cut off the bottom and stapled it into my passport with a stamp indicating that she had re-set my 90 days reporting date.

I hope that is the policy at all offices. It felt like a nice little reward for playing by the rules.

Did they enquire or look into whether or not you were doing this within 24 hrs?

Did you need to show any other document, in particular one with evidence of when your new address became effective (rental agreement or other such)?

Go and report your new address asap, within 24 hours is the law.

You will need something to establish your new address, a rental agreement

will be fine.

Better to be safe than sorry and slapped with a fine.

Did they enquire or look into whether or not you were doing this within 24 hrs??

No, they did not ask me if I was doing it within 24 hours. However, one field on the form is the date you moved. I entered the date of the previous day. I had moved into a house slowly over the period of a month. Who (other than me) is to say exactly what day I felt finished? Anyway, there are so surprised to get this form that they would not interrogate you about the 24 hours.

Did you need to show any other document, in particular one with evidence of when your new address became effective (rental agreement or other such)??

They will want to see some evidence of the new address but the date won't be important. Maybe you had two apartments for a while and now you got rid of one. That remaining apartment would not have a fresh rental agreement, right?

will be fine.

Your fellow 'super moderator' says 'hardly anyone does' report the address change. My purpose in this thread is how to avoid the 5000 fine, given that I found out about the law long after the permissible 24 hrs.

I'm still weighing my decision.

will be fine.

Your fellow 'super moderator' says 'hardly anyone does' report the address change. My purpose in this thread is how to avoid the 5000 fine, given that I found out about the law long after the permissible 24 hrs.

I'm still weighing my decision.

As Astral said. It is the law but it is hardly ever inforced and a lot of Immigration Officers do not even know of it's existence. So it is really up to you. If you are worried go and report and tell them you moved 24 hours ago.

Did they enquire or look into whether or not you were doing this within 24 hrs??

No, they did not ask me if I was doing it within 24 hours. However, one field on the form is the date you moved. I entered the date of the previous day. I had moved into a house slowly over the period of a month. Who (other than me) is to say exactly what day I felt finished? Anyway, there are so surprised to get this form that they would not interrogate you about the 24 hours.

Did you need to show any other document, in particular one with evidence of when your new address became effective (rental agreement or other such)??

They will want to see some evidence of the new address but the date won't be important. Maybe you had two apartments for a while and now you got rid of one. That remaining apartment would not have a fresh rental agreement, right?

What evidence of the new address did you show? Something other than the rental agreement? I was thinking of going with a bill - I recently bought stuff for the new place; or a maxnet bill. I imagine these should suffice if they don't insist on the rental agreement.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Lotus, You're in luck! I just went to C.Mai Imm. today. I moved from my old apt. into my condo here yesterday. (I did my last 90 day report Dec.30) Thinking I needed to report my new condo addie within 24 hrs,I went to the 90 day window to inquire. I handed my pport and the card with my new condo addie on it to the officer while explaining to her that I was there to report the addie change,having moved just yesterday. With a somewhat puzzled look on her face,she handed the pport and card with new addie to a uniformed senior officer who just happened to be sitting next to her. He then asked me if I had moved "from here,(the addie on my last 90 day stub)to there", ( the new addie on the card). I said yes, he then shook his head ,handed the pport/condo card back to the lady I 1st spoke with, at which time I was told to come back when my next 90 day report is due (late March) and then put the new addie on that report. It didnt even seem like they had any idea about any 24 hour moving rule,or at least they certainly were'nt at all concerned about it, Hope this helps! Harp. 88

Hi Lotus, You're in luck! I just went to C.Mai Imm. today. I moved from my old apt. into my condo here yesterday. (I did my last 90 day report Dec.30) Thinking I needed to report my new condo addie within 24 hrs,I went to the 90 day window to inquire. I handed my pport and the card with my new condo addie on it to the officer while explaining to her that I was there to report the addie change,having moved just yesterday. With a somewhat puzzled look on her face,she handed the pport and card with new addie to a uniformed senior officer who just happened to be sitting next to her. He then asked me if I had moved "from here,(the addie on my last 90 day stub)to there", ( the new addie on the card). I said yes, he then shook his head ,handed the pport/condo card back to the lady I 1st spoke with, at which time I was told to come back when my next 90 day report is due (late March) and then put the new addie on that report. It didnt even seem like they had any idea about any 24 hour moving rule,or at least they certainly were'nt at all concerned about it, Hope this helps! Harp. 88

This is a quite a coincidence and a bit hilarious too. I went to report the address change one day before you. The chap at the 90 day reporting window (#5 I think) told me to go to the other building near the entrance from the road. There the officer, after a quick referral to a senior, signed the form and gave me the bottom of it. Don't think he'd seen the form before. No proofs, other docs or questions to support the form. So my experience of the procedure was slightly different from yours - at the same CM office. Ah well, it's done.

But thanks for responding.

This is a quite a coincidence and a bit hilarious too. I went to report the address change one day before you. The chap at the 90 day reporting window (#5 I think) told me to go to the other building near the entrance from the road. There the officer, after a quick referral to a senior, signed the form and gave me the bottom of it. Don't think he'd seen the form before. No proofs, other docs or questions to support the form. So my experience of the procedure was slightly different from yours - at the same CM office. Ah well, it's done.

But thanks for responding.

They probably filed it in the bin.

..the officer, after a quick referral to a senior, signed the form and gave me the bottom of it. Don't think he'd seen the form before. No proofs, other docs or questions to support the form. So my experience of the procedure was slightly different from yours - at the same CM office.

So, did he or did he not re-set your 90 days?

When I did this at Jomtien they re-set my 90 day clock, which was a small but nice benefit of playing by the rules.

..the officer, after a quick referral to a senior, signed the form and gave me the bottom of it. Don't think he'd seen the form before. No proofs, other docs or questions to support the form. So my experience of the procedure was slightly different from yours - at the same CM office.

So, did he or did he not re-set your 90 days?

When I did this at Jomtien they re-set my 90 day clock, which was a small but nice benefit of playing by the rules.

No, he didn't - doubt that that would be possible in the Chiangmai set-up.