Funds Go Missing From Kasikorn Account

cali4995

What Briggsy said about transferring funds between accounts with your atm card is kind of the

way i understood it. There's more than a few stories about duplicate cards being made. I didn't

realize this atm card swallowing thing was so prevalent? Sounds like a lot of cases? :o

Snip

Siam Commercial Bank Udon Thani Big C branch don't give shit indeed.

Two weeks ago had my ATM card "eaten" by a stand alone ATM at Lotus Udon.

Visited SCB Big C brabch where I have my account within 15 minutes.

Employee smiled and blablabla'd, did NOTHING, told it would take one week to recover card and was NOT their responsability, I needed to contact the main Udon branch. That's a load of crap in my eyes.

Telephoned by mobile to SCB help desk, where they hardly understand English, talking Thai didn't pass very well neither.

Managed to get the card blocked, waited one week, went to main branch, got card back, telephoned again to Help desk to get it unblocked.

Have a big transfer under way, they will never document the details of the transfer: exchange rate, commission witheld.

And then punters here question why many living here consider this country a third/fourth world country to live in, if you wouldn't know it: quality of goods and services is rubbish :o

I see the word is getting around and I'm not the only one who finds Tland a big fat lie .

I had a bad experince with SCB refusing to give my funds I'd transfered in from overseas , had the proper form and evidence of the transfer l, just the manager had neglected to put in the proper code for the what the funds were to be used for.

The bank offier kept inspecting my passport like she was an in Immigration " You have too much money for a tourist, " was the quote from whomever she was on the phone with ..

Uh, I have a business visa, I kept pointing out.. .

It took me over 2 hours of sitting and refusing to give up... Finally I began talking very, very loud about how the bank was stealing from me and start spelling names please and that got some results.

What did they think- I'd just walk away from several million baht?

About 4 months ago or so the BOT head issued a statement that one should maintain vigilance on bank accounts.

So how did TLand get the rep of being a secure, competent country? And who's been repeating that BS? Gosh, who profits from the lie?

fishy story and quite unbelievable ... if it was send to another account, than its rather easy to get it back, not ?

the husband (44) could be almost the son of the woman in stead of his wife...

maybe he got a thai wife & kids on the side ...

…The bank officer told them to stay calm…

They once again visited the bank, where the officer told them not to worry

This was bas advice on the part of the bank. The correct advice would have been to block the ATM card immediately. Not having received this advice from the bank, the account holder should have thought about it herself.

--

Maestro

I like the idea of that "not sent but not returned" account the bank keeps. Seems like a great idea!

Bank of Ken will soon be opening in Thailand.....

I wonder how long the bank is allowed to keep funds in this "special" account without sending them back to the sender? Certainly gives one a pause about sending in funds electronically.

On my last trip I found out that Bank of Bangkok produced 20,000 baht at the ATM with lower fees than SCB on my USA ATM card.

kenk3z

To add some balance to this thread I would like to state categorically that over the last 15 years I have had and still have accounts with the Bangkok Bank, The Siam Commercial Bank, Ayudhaya bank and the Thai farmers' bank and have NEVER, EVER had a single problem with them. Always very courteous, polite and helpful.

When I compare this to the UK banks, who are arrogant, unhelpful and make life very difficult. When was the last time somebody in the UK held the door open for you, helped fill in the form and offered a charming smile as well?

The OP case seems a little unbelievable.

If the money had been transferred via an ATM to "an account", then this account is not an anonymous black hole. There is a real recipient, with a name, and id card and an address. The bank will be able to find this out and provide the details to the police.

I think all is not revealed above.

And as to the safety of money held in Thailand. I feel more secure with my money here, where, with my passport and bank deposit book I can walk into my local branch where they all know me and withdraw the lot seven days/week.

Can you do that in the UK?

And I have now moved enough money here to live on for the next five years. I have more trust in the Thai banking and political system than Brown/Darling/Bush/Obama.

What Briggsy said about transferring funds between accounts with your atm card is kind of the

way i understood it. There's more than a few stories about duplicate cards being made. I didn't

realize this atm card swallowing thing was so prevalent? Sounds like a lot of cases? :o

Had my US ATM card sucked in by a 7-11 K-ATM in Hua Hin during Oct 08 visit. Called the number on the box and they made arrangements for me to retrieve it at the local branch the following day. Went well except Bank Mgr seemed really reluctant to give it back. Had to leave copy of passport and ATM card. Would have been nervous if it was my only card. Otherwise, never had a problem in last twelve years.

You can't transfer at an ATM more than 20,000 baht per transfer.

Sorry, but at least once a month I use my Bangkok Bank ATM card to transfer more than B20,000 to an account at Kasikorn, using a Kasikorn ATM, and I've never made any special arrangement.

To add some balance to this thread I would like to state categorically that over the last 15 years I have had and still have accounts with the Bangkok Bank, The Siam Commercial Bank, Ayudhaya bank and the Thai farmers' bank and have NEVER, EVER had a single problem with them. Always very courteous, polite and helpful.

I would agree with this. I've had an account with Bangkok Bank for about 12 years. I regularly deposit funds at Bangkok Bank New York branch by transfer from my bank in Chicago, I use a Pattaya branch for most of my transactions, but have drawn money at ATMs from Chiang Mai to Phuket, and used the Silom Rd branch for various things, have transferred money to other accounts and other banks, etc and have never had a single problem. Everyone is polite and helpful.

My Chicago bank, LaSalle, now Bank of America, has on numerous occasions driven me up the wall however.

Edited by Kaojai

I had a bad experince with SCB refusing to give my funds I'd transfered in from overseas , had the proper form and evidence of the transfer l, just the manager had neglected to put in the proper code for the what the funds were to be used for.

The bank offier kept inspecting my passport like she was an in Immigration " You have too much money for a tourist, " was the quote from whomever she was on the phone with ..

This type of hassle is due to the Anti-Money Laundering Laws that were passed a couple of years ago. It's the same sending money out of the country. Even at my local bank in my employer's office building, where everyone knows me, I have to provide copies of passport, work permit, pay slips and a letter from my employer (guaranteeing salary) before I can telex money out of the country.

Although I've never had any ATM problems, these days I don't keep much in ATM-accessible accounts. I have a regular savings account with no ATM card and several fixed-deposit accounts with no ATM card. If you don't live miles away from your

bank, this is a safer option.

Never had a problem with Bangkok Bank in the 25 years I have banked with them, with the exception of one delayed international transfer where the remitting bank mispelt my name. However, that was cleared up in a couple of days with only a little input from myself. Like Camerata, I have three accounts with only one ATM acccessible and I don't keep my savings in that one. :o

I recently had a court case and had someone from Kasikorn attend the court to certify the financial transactions on a bank account from about 7 years ago. Thus all the financial information is available if you have funds that go astray, and you can do something about it by demanding to see statements, etc.

Malaysia is terrible for credit card fraud (I recnetly had to cancel a UK credit card never used in Thailand as someone bought expensive glasses with it in Malaysia). Thus if the original poster had someone draw money in the south of Thailand, chances are it was fraud, and probably Malaysia related?

You need to be vigilant about your money in Thailand. I would leave all my money in a 1st country bank (UK/US/Canada/etc), and just bring in what you need. If you need to hold alot of money in an account in Thailand, find a good interest paying account that does not have any ATM/credit cards attached to it. Then setup another account which has an ATM card/credit card, etc, and pay money into this account from the other account as needed. Use this second account as your day to day account/ATM transactions/credit card transactions. I think this is common sense anywhere, and a case of 'don't keep all your eggs in one basket'? Even banks go bust :o

Unfortunatly, living in a country like Thailand, you can never really trust anyone, and always have to be aware of what is going on around you. If you want full safety, go home!

I've never had a problem with using Bangkok Bank atms or their service for the limited transactions i've done through them. I think they are more "international" than Kasikorn. As it stands I don't understand why someone would keep that much cash in a Thai bank. There's absolutely no reason to do so unless you plan on buying a condo or something crucial.
quote,."As it stands I don't understand why someone would keep that much cash in a Thai bank. There's absolutely no reason to do so unless you plan on buying a condo or something crucial.".

You cant be serious ?. when i was trading we were turning over at leat a million baht a month, and il bet i was far from the the only one,rediculous statement id say,.

It is well known in Pattaya that this sort of thing has happend several times at this bank /.../ Only thing you can do is get your money out of there quick, dont use Kasikorn Bank in south Pattaya Road

Hi Mintman,

Are you paid by an other bank of South Pattaya for this message ? :o

It's ridiculous...

I am living in Center Condo, not far from KasikornBank South Road,

and I was recommended this bank by expats living there when I arrived Pattaya.

I do know that many many guys of the Center Condo have account there,

and I never heard here of any problem with this bank.

I will not say that there is never any problem in this bank, it probably happen,

but it must be very rare, like in most of banks...

I do recommend this bank agency.

They are very helpful, even when rules say "not possible"... :D

Pattaya46

Pattaya46 said: KasikornBank South Road...I do recommend this bank agency.

They are very helpful, even when rules say "not possible"....

Lax rules and lax interpretation work both ways, I'd say. The bank staff being 'helpful' despite the rules saying 'not possible' is likely the very reason, or at least main contributing factor, as to why the 500K went missing in the 1st instance. :o

I agree the age difference is a bit weird. But - hey! They're Dutch... (just kidding)

It is a truly pathetic response from the bank. It sounds like their atm card had been cloned and the PIN number changed. These things happen.

Something similar happened to me - same bank. I had a Kasikorn credit card cloned. Purchases started showing up in the Middle East. I had no idea. The bank phoned me as the thieves started making bigger and bigger purchases. The bank immediately cancelled the card and I had to go their main credit card office in BKK and show them my passport to prove my whereabouts.

It was all sorted out very profesionally. It cost me nothing except some time. A new card was issued to me.

Wrong Pin Code could indicate that their ATM card was cloned by a faceplate cloner on the ATM machine.

I agree the age difference is a bit weird. But - hey! They're Dutch... (just kidding)

It is a truly pathetic response from the bank. It sounds like their atm card had been cloned and the PIN number changed. These things happen.

Something similar happened to me - same bank. I had a Kasikorn credit card cloned. Purchases started showing up in the Middle East. I had no idea. The bank phoned me as the thieves started making bigger and bigger purchases. The bank immediately cancelled the card and I had to go their main credit card office in BKK and show them my passport to prove my whereabouts.

It was all sorted out very profesionally. It cost me nothing except some time. A new card was issued to me.

Kasikorn has provided me with excellent customer service over the years, but having said this, they do make mistakes. I instructed my bank overseas to transfer 250K into my Kasikorn bank account in Thailand only to find out later that Kasikorn had doubled the amount :D NICE :D the next day they realized the "discrepency" and withdrew the extra 250K :o

KK AtMs are not the most reliable. I had my own issue of money not being issued, although my western bank fixed it within 2 weeks and I was credited with the 20,000 baht. When I tried to fix the issue with KK locally, including the help desk it was so sorry call your issuing caed bank. OOOOh that's helpful. Your ATM is broken. The couple that tried to withdraw after me had the same problem. So, on this one, my sympathies lie with the Dutch couple. Until you have suffered a KK screw up, you don't understand how why it's no.1 on my sh*t list.

Had my US ATM card sucked in by a 7-11 K-ATM in Hua Hin during Oct 08 visit. Called the number on the box and they made arrangements for me to retrieve it at the local branch the following day. Went well except Bank Mgr seemed really reluctant to give it back. Had to leave copy of passport and ATM card. Would have been nervous if it was my only card. Otherwise, never had a problem in last twelve years.

Some 25 years ago a lost my Visa card from my Belgian bank in Hua-Hin, I contacted Visa and they told me to contact the local kasikorn bank, they did everything to help me, even I had no account with them. 72 hours later I could pick up a temporary Visa card at Kasikorn branch in Hua-Hin. Needless to say I have a bank account at kasikorn this moment. never had a problem with them, good and friendly service and their contact center for Cyber account is top off the bill.

I have a few remarks regarding this problem:

when you get a credit or cashcard there is a form you sign or at least gets filled in by the bank which sets the validity and other details to certain numbers. I saw it one time and its no real problem but a big security loophole.

Ask to see it, read it and have it modified. Almost any bank seems to fill them in the same from what I saw.

Like the card when lost STAYS valid! Unless cancelled by the bank or at least the pincode changed.

Personally when I loose or have lost a card (didnt happen often) first thing it did was go bank and cancel the thing.

At present after many years I dont have any creditcards (cancelled them a long time ago..) which obviously this year around new year was a problem as my money sits in a bank and the only ATM card I have sits on an almost empty bankbook...

There is absolutely no need for large amounts to be withdrawn from an atm card.

Normally I use a special Bank account for the ATM card and that has rarely more in it then I need.

The other Banks where I have accounts I have no atm....

You know, the fact this thread is still going indicates the indifference of Thailand to the rest of the world (well ok, maybe THailand, Korea and Japan are a bit similar - and China - but not the 'chinese' per se - considering singapore and HK)

In ANY other country, a big Bank like this would be sweating bullets over this sh+tty online coverage about their disgraceful response to this couple's misfortune. But NOPE - not in LOS.

Becuase This is Thailand..

Everyone is just assuming the bank is at fault and that these poor people are innocent victims. I suppose that's possible but I have another theory.

Isn't it possible that the husband was up to no good and withdrew the money himself without telling his wife and then played along that the money was mysteriously missing from the account? Tell me that never happens.

Maybe he gave it to his girlfriend to buy a house or car. Maybe he gambled it away. Maybe he owed money to people. Many possibilities. I just think there is a greater percent possibility that the foul play was self-inflicted.

20,000 limit....how did he do that then..... :o