Toys "r" Us - Pattaya

edh

WARNING!!

Beware of Toys R us in Pattaya!

Bought plentiful of Xmas gifts there and found that 4 of the items bought had missing items in them.

The boxes were stripped!!!

Spent almost 8000 baht there and you could image the dissapointed children, not being able to assemble their gifts becuse of this :o

I will surely let them know about this!

If you ever buy anything there - open the box an let them check that everything is there!

EDH

Yes, its standard procedure in Thailand to check and test everything before buying. If they won't let you do that, then don't buy it.

Even light bulbs need to be checked, which is why I always buy them in places like Home Pro where they have sockets set up to test them, rather than Carrefour where there is no way to test. Those power saving bulbs are bloody expensive and once you take them home, there is no way the store will replace a dud one.

I'm sorry the kids were disappointed, and hope you get satisfaction at the store, but somehow I doubt it.

I live in Pattaya and I didn't even know there was a Toys "R" Us in Pattaya - I usually go to Singapore for kiddie stuff - most of what I see in Thailand is reject Chinese stuff.

In the front of Big C soi 2.

Store is a little expensive IMO.

Toys "R" Us are expensive. Let's face it, almost everything stocked there is plastic and soon breaks under normal kiddie treatment, but ut's much nicer plastic than most of the little shops stock.

Growing up through WWII I had very little in the way of toys and so tend to go overboard with my kids.

I bought about 5000 bahts worth of toys at Toys r Us for the kids up north. All packages were still in the original seals so there were no tears when the toys were opened (early since I was leaving before Christmas Day and the significance is somewhat lost in rural Thailand IMHO).

But checking what's in the box in hardware stores is a must. I bought a Solex aluminum door latch at HomePro, selecting the right colour and latch type from the label outside and although the box was sealed, it was the wrong latch inside. They refunded after we opened all the boxes on the shelf and found none of the style I wanted.

My mate happened to be in the store and mentioned he bought an alarm system of sorts several months ago and when he got it home, he found one of the remote control fobs was missing. He returned it and got a refund too. However, he does note that the one he returned with the missing fob is back on the shelf!

That's a little disheartening about the toys. It's not like it's the local weekend market,

you are paying a premium and I also would have thought it wasn't necessary to

open boxes and take inventory of all the parts. Will they exchange them now or not? :o

That's a little disheartening about the toys. It's not like it's the local weekend market,

you are paying a premium and I also would have thought it wasn't necessary to

open boxes and take inventory of all the parts. Will they exchange them now or not? :o

I doubt it. Caveat emptor is the rule in Thailand.

recommend you make the short drive to sri racha robinsons...they have a toys r us and the goods appear to be in better condition than the crap one in Pattaya....prices are cheaper as well with various specials and discounts....

In general, toys seem expensive here in thailand, especially with the recent sterling drop. I saw a scooter in toys'r'us in BKK for 1500, which was selling in the UK for 9.99. You can get all the chinese crap very cheaply, but the decent stuff is extortionate.

You can get all the chinese crap .....<snip snip>

Sorry to get a little off topic but it disturbs me when I hear folks talking about the poor quality of Chinese products. Yes, it's true that China is not well controlled (i.e. The recent baby milk and past toy paint stories) but having lived and worked in China for a few years I can tell you that China can make some of the very same products the USA, UK, Australia, etc... folks can. Actually they can make the same, better, and by far at a lower cost. This is one of the many reasons other countries are losing jobs to China.

Yes, while some products can be "crap" and cheap, it is the design of the products that allow this. You are talking about plastic toys that the original designer wants to keep cheap and inexpensive. They want the cheapest parts and materials into their products. They want to keep the BOM (Bill Of Materials) at the lowest cost and will sacrifice quality parts to do so. Now take for instance what I was manufacturing in China, optical communication components and equipment. Here the designer (my former company) wanted to have high quality but yet produced more efficiently and at much lower labor costs. These products were manufactured in China by the Chinese and had a much better quality and production yield than our former American company could produce. They were at a quality where companies like Cicso, JDSU, IBM, HP, and many more were very satisfied with what they were receiving. This and with the American workforce becoming complacent, demanding more working dollars, benefits is one of the reasons Americans are losing jobs.

Bottom line: Chinese do build "crap" products when "crap" is wanted.

Back on topic....... I recently bought a remote controlled car for my stepson for his birthday (12/23) and did not try it out at the store because we were in a hurry as well as there was not service attendant available at the time. Taking it home we found that it did not work. Took it back 2 days later (with the receipt) Lotus/Tesco looked it over, agreed it didn't work, and replaced it with one that was verified. We left the store as satisfied customers.

Yes, its standard procedure in Thailand to check and test everything before buying. If they won't let you do that, then don't buy it.

Even light bulbs need to be checked, which is why I always buy them in places like Home Pro where they have sockets set up to test them, rather than Carrefour where there is no way to test. Those power saving bulbs are bloody expensive and once you take them home, there is no way the store will replace a dud one.

I'm sorry the kids were disappointed, and hope you get satisfaction at the store, but somehow I doubt it.

I returned a power saving bulb to Bog C South Pattaya once. The lady refused and refused and refused... especially because I bought it from the North Pattaya store. As far as I was concerned, Big C was Big C, and I made sure that became her concern too.

After 5 minutes of every increasing complaining in Thai, she backed down and gave me a replacement.

I agree that it is very difficult to return anything here, but I have also returned a 35,000 washer/dryer to Carefour for a house buyer of mine because it would not dry the clothes completely.. They argued it was not supposed to, but only dry enough for ironing. I agrued the brochure says DRY and that is what it is supposed to do. I just moved up the chain of command until the boss gave 35,000 credit. That was fine, as we had to buy a replacement washer and a dryer and a lot of other things as well. .... I was fortunate, I know.

recommend you make the short drive to sri racha robinsons...they have a toys r us and the goods appear to be in better condition than the crap one in Pattaya....prices are cheaper as well with various specials and discounts....

I got my kids Christmas pressie cheaper in Toys'R'Us in Pattaya cheaper than in Robinsons, AND saved the cost of going to Sri Racha.

always buy our electrical stuff in numchai on sukhumvit,excelent service ,exchange goods ,no problem.

off track got my lad an x box for xmas in dot com ,bloody expensive by brit standards ,notice all shops except one in sri racha take out the 2 games , but give you 5 fake. instead

Went back with original boxes, receipt and even plastic bag.

Asked (polite) to change the items or at least to have the missing items.

Manager said - why you not come when you buy? I said - well it was xmas gift and not supposed to be opened same day I buy, you wrapped it for that purpose.

Manager went away and called her manager...

Came back and said - We change everything for you :o

I'm happy and kids even happier :D

I didn't realise that Robinson's in Sriracha even has a Toys 'R us. I know they have a toy department but I'm pretty sure it's not called Toys' R' Us????

You're correct, but they sell some of the same toys as Toys R Us do.

I went to Robinson's at Sri Racha yesterday for a look, as the toy shops in Pattaya (at Mikes, Outlet Mall, Toy R' Us at Outlet Mall, Toy R' Us 2nd road, Big C and Tesco) are somewhat disappointing in items I'd actually want for my kid and at rather expensive prices. However I couldn't find a Toy R' Us at Robinson's but the department store did have a small section of various toys, but I left there as disappointed as with the other toy shops.

Hadn't been to Sri Racha before, so the 30 baht per person there and 30 baht back on the bus from Pattaya was just fine and stops off / pick up at Robinson's too. Also went to see the Thai/Chinese temple.

Went back with original boxes, receipt and even plastic bag.

Asked (polite) to change the items or at least to have the missing items.

Manager said - why you not come when you buy? I said - well it was xmas gift and not supposed to be opened same day I buy, you wrapped it for that purpose.

Manager went away and called her manager...

Came back and said - We change everything for you :o

I'm happy and kids even happier :D

Good news edh! Not all stores are out to screw the farang and attitude and a smile makes a helluva difference IMHO.

yes I take back my doubts. It's good to hear, although it was a bit out of order to have more than one with bits missing.

For every customer that takes them back I wonder how many don't bother and just write it off and say "TIT", and never shop there again.

I also apologise for casting aspersions on Carrefour, suggesting that they wouldn't exchange dud light bulbs. But I would still prefer to buy from Homepro or Homemart, where the assistants will check every bulb before you buy it.