Old Germany, An Ex-pat Fave

I had a 90-day reporting at Maptaphut immigration today. :D

Old Germany is probably the most popular western restaurant in Maptaphut with the ex-pat crowd. It is located just west of Soi 19 on Sukhumvit, near Maptaphut immigration, and has ample parking. They have revolving buffets, a different one for each day of the week. The cost is 140-180 baht. Thursday was the international buffet, but I was too early for the Christmas special buffet.

The food is German-continental. A little on the heavy side for my preference, but I must say it was very good. The food is well-prepared and well-spiced, with liberal amounts of pepper. I particularly liked the sausages, sauerbraten, chicken meatball soup and both the mashed potatoes and oven-baked potato wedges with onions. :o

The restaurant does get busy at lunch, but the staff remains friendly and helpful. There wasn't one buffet item that I didn't like. I had a plate and a half of food, soup and a coke for 200 baht. There's a good selection of imported German beers. I was driving and did not partake in that, though I was tempted.

If you're looking for a Christmas or New Year's place, and don't mind the drive, I would highly recommend it, particularly if you have to go to Maptaphut immigration.

P1010891.jpg

P1010893.jpg

P1010894.jpg

P1010898.jpg

P1010897.jpg

P1010896.jpg

:D

I had a 90-day reporting at Maptaphut immigration today. :D

Old Germany is probably the most popular western restaurant in Maptaphut with the ex-pat crowd. It is located just west of Soi 19 on Sukhumvit, near Maptaphut immigration, and has ample parking. They have revolving buffets, a different one for each day of the week. The cost is 140-180 baht. Thursday was the international buffet, but I was too early for the Christmas special buffet.

The food is German-continental. A little on the heavy side for my preference, but I must say it was very good. The food is well-prepared and well-spiced, with liberal amounts of pepper. I particularly liked the sausages, sauerbraten, chicken meatball soup and both the mashed potatoes and oven-baked potato wedges with onions. :o

The restaurant does get busy at lunch, but the staff remains friendly and helpful. There wasn't one buffet item that I didn't like. I had a plate and a half of food, soup and a coke for 200 baht. There's a good selection of imported German beers. I was driving and did not partake in that, though I was tempted.

If you're looking for a Christmas or New Year's place, and don't mind the drive, I would highly recommend it, particularly if you have to go to Maptaphut immigration.

P1010891.jpg

P1010893.jpg

P1010894.jpg

P1010898.jpg

P1010897.jpg

P1010896.jpg

:D

Sounds delicious how far from BKK is this place?

Unfortunately, it's about a 2 hour drive. Take Hwy 7 to the 36 East towards Rayong. Make a right turn at Sukhumvit Soi 21 (3191) south towards Maptaphut. When you reach Sukhumvit, you go under the overpass and turn right, which puts you on Sukhumvit. You have to proceed down to Rat Bamrung (Soi 18) where you make a U-turn on Sukhumvit. Now you're heading east on Sukhumvit. Take the overpass and it will be on your left, about 500 meters after the end of the overpass. If you reach Soi 19, you passed it.

Map for Old Germany

Unfortunately, it's about a 2 hour drive. Take Hwy 7 to the 36 East towards Rayong. Make a right turn at Sukhumvit Soi 21 (3191) south towards Maptaphut. When you reach Sukhumvit, you go under the overpass and turn right, which puts you on Sukhumvit. You have to proceed down to Rat Bamrung (Soi 18) where you make a U-turn on Sukhumvit. Now you're heading east on Sukhumvit. Take the overpass and it will be on your left, about 500 meters after the end of the overpass. If you reach Soi 19, you passed it.

Map for Old Germany

Thanks for the info, for me it would be 4 hours I guess I might not be able to make it on new years eve but I will check it out in the near future

Thanks a lot

Cheers

Map for Old Germany

Sorry Zap but on the map I have and the visit I made there your directions to get to the place are a bit off the mark.

When I drove by the place today on my way to Rayong I was driving east on Suk from Banchang. I passed the signal lights at soi 19 and a bit further as I drove onto and over the flyover at soi 21 and came down now on the east side of the flyover I passed a PTT gas station on my left and immediately past this was a clear sign for parking to the Old Germany. Indeed it is opposite the Gas Plant.

Your scenario indicates if coming from Highway 36 to go under Suk turn right then hit the next U turn and comeback over the flyover.

This is not necessary. A left turn off of 3191(soi21) onto Suk frontage road drive in the left lane until the nice "Parking Here" for Old Germany sign is seen just past the gas station. You also say if you reach soi 19 you have gone too far? It should say if you reach soi 23 you have past the place. But as clearly as the signage is unless you're going 120+kph you will see the place. Drive slow at the end of the flyover no matter if you come from 3191 or from the Banchang/Sattahip direction.

Please see my attached map

post-20917-1230440782_thumb.jpg

The great thing is now I have a new place to try and hopefully enjoy as I live very close and if it's good to great I will be back many times