Water Filter Comparison

acerhodes

Can anyone tell me which is the best water filter reverse osmosis or a UV filter ?

I gather there is a lot of waste water with the RO sytem. Homepro sell both types but they were unable to tell me the relative advantages and disadvantages of the two types.

I also understand that the RO system removes ALL of the minerals some of which are good for you.

Help please...............thanks

Can anyone tell me which is the best water filter reverse osmosis or a UV filter ?

I gather there is a lot of waste water with the RO sytem. Homepro sell both types but they were unable to tell me the relative advantages and disadvantages of the two types.

I also understand that the RO system removes ALL of the minerals some of which are good for you.

Well i have been using the RO System now for 3 years and i change the filters when required usualy twice a year,I use a water tester to tell me when the water quality changes,The filters are not to expensive when you consider you save loads on buying bottled water,There is no waste of water as the system is connected to the mains,The water passes through the system and is stored in a small tank until you want to use it,All i can say about the UV System is that to check the price of the replacment bulbs as they can be quite expensive at least they were 3 years ago Hope this helps you with your choice Cheers

UV is basically only a water sterilisation process to kill bacteria and viruses. RO will remove particles and some chemicals (depends on the filters etc) but usually needs an Ozone or UV process as well to sterilise the water.

Renal dialysis is the medical application of RO; the artificial "kidney" is equivalent to the membrane or filter.

UV will kill all the bacteria, I use one on my pond to kill alge. there will be several other filters to take out debris and for taste. this is the best way in my opinion. you have to change the bulb once a year.

that applies to your case only Jimmy as you use the UV for your pond with a 24 hours flow. but the model you use for your pond and i use for my pool are not meant to treat "house water" as they take several seconds to light up and become effective. besides that they would be overkill as they are meant to treat 400 liters a minute.

by the way, any idea how much a replacement tube costs? when i had mine installed Michael didn't know but my estimate is something like 8-10,000 Baht (or perhaps even more) :o

Edited by Naam

We have the AMWAY eSpring..quite expensive to buy and costs about 2-3000 to replace the UV bulb/micro filter etc. It supplies all our drinking water and we use quite a lot...about one year between replacements.

When I was looking as to what to buy I noticed that a lot of the the units softened the water and you don't want softened water for drinking...well not in the UK and I guess that it is the same here.

You need the UV type.

UV and RO are two completly different animals so cannot be compared as they both have different roles in water treatment.

RO removes solids, impuritites and some elements from "dirty water" but doesn't kill bacteria -- UV only kills bacteria , so treating "dirty water" with UV will kill the bacteria but will not remove solids etc.

The ideal water purification system from raw water to pure drinking water is RO with final UV treatment. Raw water is a source from something like a river, dam, ground well etc. Some rural water supplies in Thailand are likely to only have had some basic filtration so could be still regarded as raw water and require RO and UV for pure drinking water.

How, if you are connected to a town water supply in a major city which has a water treatment plant, it is probable that UV is sufficient as you should only need to kill any bacteria that could have been introduced into the water supply at some point in its distribution.

For household use with a normally clean water supply it is usual to only treat the water what you will use for drinking or cooking and depending on its source this could be RO/UV or just UV.

Edited by Artisi

UV and RO are two completly different animals so cannot be compared as they both have different roles in water treatment.

RO removes solids, impuritites and some elements from "dirty water" but doesn't kill bacteria -- UV only kills bacteria , so treating "dirty water" with UV will kill the bacteria but will not remove solids etc.

The ideal water purification system from raw water to pure drinking water is RO with final UV treatment. Raw water is a source from something like a river, dam, ground well etc. Some rural water supplies in Thailand are likely to only have had some basic filtration so could be still regarded as raw water and require RO and UV for pure drinking water.

How, if you are connected to a town water supply in a major city which has a water treatment plant, it is probable that UV is sufficient as you should only need to kill any bacteria that could have been introduced into the water supply at some point in its distribution.

For household use with a normally clean water supply it is usual to only treat the water what you will use for drinking or cooking and depending on its source this could be RO/UV or just UV.

It is important to realise that many of the essential minerals needed for health are also removed by RO - so this should be born in mind regarding your health.

I use a bit of old debris netting between the clay urn and the roof gutter.

Suggest a Granular Activated Carbon (GAC) and UV combination. Use the UV first or the GAC will become rather bacterial over time.

• 2 weeks later...

It is important to realise that many of the essential minerals needed for health are also removed by RO - so this should be born in mind regarding your health.

I'm in the process of purchasing a water filter for my home as well.

I went to Home Works and Home Pro and the Salesman couldn't tell me the difference between the two.

There was also another filtration system called UF that the salesman showed me?

Has anyone ever heard of that? Is there any difference between UV, RO?

I couldn't find any water filter on the web with a UF system.

But between the two UV and RO, seems like RO has become more of a favorite rather than the UV.

Then again, combine the two and surely you are more insured from contaminants that just one system.

But the component is more expensive, not to mention that you may have to plug it in (means more electricity expense).