Notary For Thais

wimpy

Anyone know where a Thai can get their signature notarized in a fashion that would be acceptable to a US financial institution? I know the US consulate is a notary, but that service is listed under US citizen services. Any idea if they will do one for a Thai? It was recommended that we go to a bank, but they had no idea what we were talking about. :o

Anyone know where a Thai can get their signature notarized in a fashion that would be acceptable to a US financial institution? I know the US consulate is a notary, but that service is listed under US citizen services. Any idea if they will do one for a Thai? It was recommended that we go to a bank, but they had no idea what we were talking about. :o

Well, (unfortuanately :D depending on how one looks at it) I know that the US embassy can/will notarize divorce papers that I sent from the US to my then Thai wife about 2 years ago. She signed the papers at the embassy and they notorized them. $30 USD and they do the notorization.

I had two sets of US real estate contracts notarized in Thailand by a Thai lawyer that were accepted by a US bank about a year ago. The stamp is large, very official looking and says "Notary". No problems at all other than the expense. The lawyer, who worked at a Pattaya real estate office, charged me 8000 Baht for 8 notarized signatures.

In Pattaya there are a couple of places that advertise notary service but a real estate office would be a good place to check as they all probably use one regularly.

I asked a US notary if he could do this service if he happened to be in Thailand and was told that they are only allowed to perform the function in their home state. If so, then the only US notary available would be the U.S. Embassy.