The End Of The Crisis

does anyone remember the late 50's,early 60's.no credit cards,no real consumer technology in place,you worked,you saved you bought with cash.that's going back to basics in a financial sense.

I don't remember the 50's or 60's, as I was still a spec in the old mans eye, but I have never been keen on credit cards, have always thought I was better to have earnt nearly all the money I needed for a certain thing before I bought something (I have had vehicle loans and the like..) and when I borrowed 150k for a house, my knees were shaking.....at the time I thought my head was going to cave in.

On the other end of the scale, I had friends who borrowed for everything & then borrowed and re-borrowed again, some of them went toes up in the early 90ies.....I'd imagine the others are going to go toes up soon.

The old buy now & work out how to pay for it later, attitude has to go......my question has always been, "Why would you want a house with 8 Bedrooms, Cinema, Indoor 80 metre pool, tennis court, 3 formal lounges, 16 bathrooms, maids quarters, 42 car garage and golden clad kitchen....when theres only 2 of you living in it & you never stop working because your trying to pay for it all"?. :o

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

does anyone remember the late 50's,early 60's.no credit cards,no real consumer technology in place,you worked,you saved you bought with cash.that's going back to basics in a financial sense.

Nope. In 1950 I was aged minus 25.

Please excuse old MJP's math......things havent been the same for him since he got back from WWI, its always best to just pat him on the back & say, i'll be ok grandpa :o

I don't remember the 50's or 60's, as I was still a spec in the old mans eye, but I have never been keen on credit cards, have always thought I was better to have earnt nearly all the money I needed for a certain thing before I bought something (I have had vehicle loans and the like..) and when I borrowed 150k for a house, my knees were shaking.....at the time I thought my head was going to cave in.

On the other end of the scale, I had friends who borrowed for everything & then borrowed and re-borrowed again, some of them went toes up in the early 90ies.....I'd imagine the others are going to go toes up soon.

The old buy now & work out how to pay for it later, attitude has to go......my question has always been, "Why would you want a house with 8 Bedrooms, Cinema, Indoor 80 metre pool, tennis court, 3 formal lounges, 16 bathrooms, maids quarters, 42 car garage and golden clad kitchen....when theres only 2 of you living in it & you never stop working because your trying to pay for it all"?. :o

Dude, in the UK it was "do I want a house measuring 7 metre by 9 metres with 3 bedrooms (one for the bed, one for the wardrobe and one for the chest of drawers), a kitchen/dinette to fit the microwave in and a sitting room, with only standing room, all for only £300,000?"

Millions said yes! :D:D:D:D

Edited by MJP

well neverdie its cos a showy life means everything to those kind of people,i remember the first car i bought was an old morris minor,my dad bought it for 300quid and i paid him back.western materialistic growth has ben born on debt,and as we can see now it cannot be maintained any longer.we have been lucky in the west over the last 30 years,we have lived a life at the expense of the rest of the world,now that countries like china,india etc want a piece of the action it cannot be sustained any longer from an environmental point of view....................we were not meant to live like this in my opinion.

:o The markets have much further to drop. The announcement of more layoffs, hiring freezes, less credit, higher consumer prices, industrial closures/stagnation, political uncertainties and shrinking economies will just keep adding oil to the current economic crisis.

When we bottom out is very difficult to estimate with more room for loss and failure in world markets. It will take more than bailouts to stimulate the economies.

Hope that the global economic mess will turn around soon, but I cannot see clear skies until mid 2010 at the earliest.

Strap yourself in and get ready for a series of fresh dives.

:D

Edited by ilyushin

well neverdie its cos a showy life means everything to those kind of people,i remember the first car i bought was an old morris minor,my dad bought it for 300quid and i paid him back.western materialistic growth has ben born on debt,and as we can see now it cannot be maintained any longer.we have been lucky in the west over the last 30 years,we have lived a life at the expense of the rest of the world,now that countries like china,india etc want a piece of the action it cannot be sustained any longer from an environmental point of view....................we were not meant to live like this in my opinion.

Posh!

I just sold my old motor for £300 in the UK. A '97 Xantia TD I bought nearly 6 years ago for £800.

Posh!

I just sold my old motor for £300 in the UK. A '97 Xantia TD I bought nearly 6 years ago for £800.

well either i got ripped off or my memory is not so good.then again maybe it says more about automaton bringing costs relatively lower over the years.

Posh!

What sort of warranty did you sell that with MJP? :o

Posh!

well either i got ripped off or my memory is not so good.then again maybe it says more about automaton bringing costs relatively lower over the years.

Yep. Ordinary cars are way, way, way cheaper now than they were. Cars in the UK are brutally cheap.

Posh!

What sort of warranty did you sell that with MJP? :D

Funny you should ask.

I sold it to the guy that owns the garage that used to service it! So there. :o

Guaranteed to be completely shagged!

Yeah well wait to a few of those major Auto companies go toes up, then a few years after that see how cheap parts are for your company life extinct cars :o

Whole world to be like Cuba.

This is the point. The deflation argument holds true, only if the manufacturing and supply chain does not collapse.

50/50 in my opinion . . . .YIKES!!!

Yeah well wait to a few of those major Auto companies go toes up, then a few years after that see how cheap parts are for your company life extinct cars :D

Whole world to be like Cuba.

This is the point. The deflation argument holds true, only if the manufacturing and supply chain does not collapse.

50/50 in my opinion . . . .YIKES!!!

There's something to be said for subsistence farming & way of life.....and then theres poor old bernie madoff at the other end of the extreme. :o

EDIT TO ADD: £45k salaries . . . this month . . . welfare next month . . .

£45k monthly salary....dam_n I have fallen behind again!

Nope.

After tax I guess around £3k a month.

Then add all the other taxes and costs. Don't add up do it?

Negativity breeds more negativity. Try having a positive outlook, all is not doom or gloom.

It's a bit simplistic and maybe ludicrous too, but there is more than a grain of truth in this statement.

I can't imagine that things were so sensationalised, regurgitated, and hyped in the 30's depression for example. This has been madness, not just irrationality.

So I don't think there will be a defining event so much as a gradual return to normality.

Things will inevitably improve but not for a long while yet in the west, and the recession hasn't really started yet in Thailand.

Nope.

£3k a month, great I am back in The Rat Race again! :o

Nope.

£3k a month, great I am back in The Rat Race again! :o

They won't be . . . for much longer.

You want an end to this whole orchestrated mass psychology experiment?

How about paying off all outstanding US mortgages, it will only cost you about 10 Trillion.

What do you mean we do not have that kind of money?

post-21826-1230546517_thumb.jpg

How about a litlle bit more manipulation of this stuff?

post-21826-1230546300_thumb.jpg

Just make it 50.000 USD an ounce and you can pay of that 13 Trillion debth your in.

What do you mean that gold does not belong to US?

:o

You want an end to this whole orchestrated mass psychology experiment?

How about paying off all outstanding US mortgages, it will only cost you about 10 Trillion.

What do you mean we do not have that kind of money?

post-21826-1230546517_thumb.jpg

How about a litlle bit more manipulation of this stuff?

post-21826-1230546300_thumb.jpg

Just make it 50.000 USD an ounce and you can pay of that 13 Trillion debth your in.

What do you mean that gold does not belong to US?

Good grief!! I just read your signature. Cheer up man!!!

Barack Obama on TV surrounded by a horde of black clad 'civilian' troops announcing a New World Order maybe ? :D:o

Probably nothing out of the ordinary, just an eventual recovery some time in 2011...

Well....Obama HAS called for a civilian national security force that is 'just powerful, just as strong, just as well funded,' as the military...

Oh those movie posters.

Well, I like movies?

MJP

That whole election campaign of the guy was based on hope or am I wrong?

Believe me the guy will give plenty of it.

First promising 2 Million new jobs and recently 3 Million.....

Mommy,

Yes Child

I am hungry

Here you go, a spoon of hope will get you going.

And uuuuurrrr who was that guy again who had his own "Youth Group" about 60-70 years ago.

Somewhere in Europe I believe it was.

Oh, and why does the police in the US will soon have those nifty microwave fleshburners to control large crowds?

Do they know something?

Edited by AlexLah

Oh those movie posters.

Well, I like movies?

MJP

That whole election campaign of the guy was based on hope or am I wrong?

Believe me the guy will give plenty of it.

First promising 2 Million new jobs and recently 3 Million.....

Mommy,

Yes Child

I am hungry

Here you go, a spoon of hope will get you going.

And uuuuurrrr who was that guy again who had his own "Youth Group" about 60-70 years ago.

Somewhere in Europe I believe it was.

Oh, and why does the police in the US will soon have those nifty microwave fleshburners to control large crowds?

Do they know something?

Yep. It was a sad day when they fooled so many people. Same system. Different puppet.

Negativity breeds more negativity. Try having a positive outlook, all is not doom or gloom.

I remained positive when Northern Rock looked like taking my money. I still remained positive as the GBP dived 30%. I still remained positive as the Icelanders destroyed 70% of my deposits with them. I still remained positive when the interest rates were reduced by 60%

I have now lost my optimism because of

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Politics/...A_New_Year_Talk

I simply do not have any faith in this guy. To start comparing the current crisis with the second world war surely indicates what he is thinking; it will get extremely bad. And to claim that he will be working with Obama is ludicrous. I doubt whether Obama will be very interested in anything that Brown has to say. Britain may have had a privileged position in the past, but I am pretty certain that Obama will be more concerned in building relations with countries that are likely to have a big influence and something to offer in the economic future of the world, China, India, Japan, middle east and Europe. I can't see any reason to include the UK in this list. Any other claim is just plain hubris.

And here's a question.

The GBP has lost 30% in value in just a few months, Brown has pretty much said that the UK now has a ZIRP and this could happen as soon as January. Will this provoke a run on the Quid? And if there is a run, how will it affect you? The heroes in the media have spent December talking the GBP down to parity with the EUR as though this is a major achievement and something to celebrate. What will they go for next?

There are quite a few Brits making an early retirement based on selling a house in the UK and living of the interest. Take a "typical" example;

Net profit say 150,000 Quid. In the heyday of just a few months ago this would have got you 10,500,000 Baht and an income of 600,000 Baht. Today you will get just 7,500,000 Baht and an income of maybe 300,000. And next year?

Come on cheer up all!!!!

You remember what they "Promised"

We will do everything we can to stop this crisis........

And they will....

Why are war's good?

Who are those "We's"

Remember in war's there is profit to be made.

Who provides the money for war's?

There is a way to end this crisis.

I bet the plan's have long been written.

Come on cheer up all!!!!

You remember what they "Promised"

We will do everything we can to stop this crisis........

And they will....

Why are war's good?

Who are those "We's"

Remember in war's there is profit to be made.

Who provides the money for war's?

There is a way to end this crisis.

I bet the plan's have long been written.

are you related to nostradamus?

Well you know I tried to tell the peeps here with sometimes strange post's hoping you would connect the dot's.

You do like strawberries don't you?

Remember where the word prediction comes from.

You can make predictions because some things are predictable.

If you look/dig a bit deeper at what is happening and what has happened in the past and connect dot's then you start to see a pattern or picture whatever to call it.

I give you an example.

You are the average bloke that lost his job and house month's ago.

You are living in a tent and you get your food and water from scrapping dumpsters and catching rain.

People in Africa that live on 1 Dollar a day are richer than you.

There is no sign of any miracle job coming to you as you have no real skills, you were a beancounter or hamburger flipper.

Then one day there comes this guy in a funny camouflage outfit and ask you how things are going.

Not too well you say, have not had a decent meal in weeks.

He then says, well my friend, I can help you with that.

You will have a job, free good food, excersise, free clothing and housing.

Just sign this paper here my friend.

Yes that dotted line there you see.

I will post another likely scenario a bit later as I am getting really hungry.....

Geeze I thought I was all doom and gloom with my scenario of the world spinning off and colliding with the sun...

<deleted> are flesh these flesh burners the police are getting? :o

love your avatar,but have you ever thought of seeing a doctor?yes i agree we can get into too much doom and gloom,and there's nothing we can do about it,just enjoy what you have and where you are,and if thats thailand then we are all indeed very lucky.