Jan 2010 I Am Liable To Pay The Ex Wife

galowgala

My ex wife back in the UK divorced me nearly 10 years ago, She run away with my best friend, im sure that theres some who have been there and worn the T-Shirt. but the agreement was i have to pay here 10,000 GBP in the year 2010. amongst already giving her a family house and getting my business bankrupt.

I had a successful business then and she took 20,000 GBP out of the business but i could not prove it, as me and my ex wife were the only 1s to have entry to get into the safe, i had no chance legally to claim it back.

So my question is can i live in Thailand and get away without paying her next year the 10,000 GBP. my lovely Thai wife and me cant afford to pay it back anyway, give me sensible advise only PLEASE

Edited by galowgala

If it is an order of the court and you do not pay, there have to be some things to consider.

Does your ex wife know what country you are in?

How vindictive is the ex going to be?

Are you going to have to travel back to the UK for a visa?

Because, if the payment is an order of the court and you do not pay and the wife knows where you are, the court is liable to chase you over this. Where better to nab you than at the airport?

Isn't it a criminal offence to defy an order of the court?

Sorry to put a dampener on that.

Maybe you could change your name by deed poll & your passport. Not sure if that would actually work or not. Would it be followed up by the authorities? Would it be noticed?

Maybe you could make a plea to the court for some leniency? Plead poverty. Plead the fact you have a Thai wife to support. Any children to feed?

Or just get in touch with a UK lawyer.

As I recall some will advise over the internet for free.

My ex wife back in the UK divorced me nearly 10 years ago, She run away with my best friend, im sure that theres some who have been there and worn the T-Shirt. but the agreement was i have to pay here 10,000 GBP in the year 2010. amongst already giving her a family house and getting my business bankrupt.

I had a successful business then and she took 20,000 GBP out of the business but i could not prove it, as me and my ex wife were the only 1s to have entry to get into the safe, i had no chance legally to claim it back.

So my question is can i live in Thailand and get away without paying her next year the 10,000 GBP. my lovely Thai wife and me cant afford to pay it back anyway, give me sensible advise only PLEASE

First question is she divorced you after running off with your mate?

Second question you agreed to pay her something 10 years after you were divorced did you have a solicitor?

But the answer to your question is dont worry about anything unless you have children from your previous which will pull your heartstrings if not just live your life with your new wife you wont have a problem.

Are you bankrupt ? if not you can do it form here, however if it was a court order you can go and do a means test, you can show you cant afford it and offer 20 pounds a month, infact that too can be done from overseas,.

Is that correct? You can declare yourself bankrupt from Thailand?

[quote Are you bankrupt ? if not you can do it form here, however if it was a court order you can go and do a means test, you can show you cant afford it and offer 20 pounds a month, infact that too can be done from overseas,

Can't speak for the UK, but in the US you *cannot* declare yourself bankrupt from Thailand or any other country. You have to be residing in the US. I reckon that if you were able to declare bankruptcy from another country, the easiest way out of debt would be to do a runner and then petition the court in your home country - which would probably empty the US of 1/3 of its residents :o

You know what they say about Free legal advice.

If this divorce was completed legally, it had to be signed off by a family law court judge (or similar). If there was a legal property settlement completed with this divorce, it is binding up until the time it is finalised. Do you really think that you are the first person that has done the runner, OR considering doing the runner? The courts and legal systems in my country have this covered, I don't know about your country, but I would imagine that it probably is. Have you thought about accessing the act of parliment that relate to family law in the UK? Its highly likely that they are available online. You may also be able to file an application in relation to this payment, stating your case (but you will need to read the act to see if this is allowable)...a court may make another order for you to make smaller payments over a period of time.

Look into it properly, you never know what the future holds & you probably don't need to walk back into a world of grief when you go back there.

Cant give good advice when u can only hear one side of the story.

Well morally there seems a case. Generally, if you haven't got it (in England) they can't take it. Yes, you have to get on with your life, you have a new wife and a future. So I'd drain any money out of UK sharpish. If it's smallish amounts use travellers cheques in GBP as you don't need to cash them in til exchange rate changes.

Can't speak for the UK, but in the US you *cannot* declare yourself bankrupt from Thailand or any other country. You have to be residing in the US. I reckon that if you were able to declare bankruptcy from another country, the easiest way out of debt would be to do a runner and then petition the court in your home country - which would probably empty the US of 1/3 of its residents :o

Only that 1/3 of them can not afford the international plane ticket...., if you can't come up with your home payment, I don't think you can come up with the international ticket fee :D

There's the legal side of things and there's the practical side of things.

Legally you owe the money and if you don't pay, your wife can sue you under the contract that you signed. It will take her time to work her way through the courts, but eventually she will get a court order in her favour saying that you must pay. Then she will start to look for assets to which she can attach that court order. Freeze your bank accounts, lien against your house, seizure of your car etc etc.

Practacally, having got a court order in her favour, how can she do any of the above things if you are not resident in England and do not have assets in England. She can't. I don't know your overall situation, but if you have nothing in England and you are not in England, you have nothing to worry about so long as you don't e mail her the details of your bank accounts overseas. If she knows about them, in theory she could try to freeze them, although that would not be a simple or quick matter in the Thai courts!

Your wife will be seeking to enforce a judgement obtained in the civil courts, there is no question of criminal action until she proves that you are wilfully disobeying the order of the court, at which time you would be called to court to explain why and if persistently fial to do as ordered, may be held for comtempt of court. But courts are busy too and I doubt you are up there in the headlights like Ronnie Biggs in his heyday. You're not going to be on a wanted list at airports, that's for sure.

Havings kids might complicate the situation if you are both still in touch with them and their loyalties are split.

If you have a complete new life in Thailand, forget the UK and what went on there.

Are you bankrupt ? if not you can do it form here, however if it was a court order you can go and do a means test, you can show you cant afford it and offer 20 pounds a month, infact that too can be done from overseas,.

Yes 100 per cent, i have a friend here that did just that,.

Where is the best friend at this time ? How does he fit into the present scenario ? Is he supporting her ? Are there chidren to support ? Does she work ?

All of these things can make a difference on your course of action .

My ex wife went off with my best friend, and boy do i miss him ! :o

but the agreement was i have to pay here 10,000 GBP in the year 2010.

i have to say , reading your post , that you come across as a serial loser , but putting my prejudices and assumptions aside for a minute , the fact is you made an agreement , so , stop moving the goalposts , stop your silly whinging , face up to the responsibilities you set up , be a man , do the right thing and pay up. :o

my lovely Thai wife and me

that should be "my lovely thai wife and i"

Remember as well,your ex wife is entitled too half your pension,[if you have one],and that can be done by a Court Order,stopping half at scorce. :o

Do a runner by all means,but it will come back and smack you in the arse one day.

You may want too return too the UK,sometime,remember all is kept on Computers now,and yes YOU WILL HAVE YOUR COLLAR FELT at the Airport on arrival. :D

i have to say , reading your post , that you come across as a serial loser , but putting my prejudices and assumptions aside for a minute , the fact is you made an agreement , so , stop moving the goalposts , stop your silly whinging , face up to the responsibilities you set up , be a man , do the right thing and pay up. :o

While your first piece of advice may/may not be of use or relevant to OP--I really don't think smart-arse grammatical corrections are necessary--why are so many TV posters so unpleasant??

While your first piece of advice may/may not be of use or relevant to OP--I really don't think smart-arse grammatical corrections are necessary--why are so many TV posters so unpleasant??

It's his full-time job, never known him to be pleasant. :o

It's his full-time job, never known him to be pleasant.
why are so many TV posters so unpleasant??

the op has known for 10 years that he will have to pay this amount , he should have made provisions for it long ago , instead of waiting until now to find that he has no funds to cover it and trying to sneak away from it.

i felt that under the circumstances a small degree of unpleasantness was more than justified. :o

If you renege on a genuine court order now, there is the possibility that you might find a future expected pension could be garnished by the courts.

Good point Old Croc as I know in the USA they are holding back the renewal of drivers' licenses, hunting licenses, etc for those that do not pay up on court ordered alimony and child support payments.

Remember as well,your ex wife is entitled too half your pension,[if you have one],and that can be done by a Court Order,stopping half at scorce. :o

That depends on the divorce agreement. I have no claim on my wife's pension and she on mine.

yes YOU WILL HAVE YOUR COLLAR FELT at the Airport on arrival. :D

Might happen in the future, but the last time I went into the UK the passport is just given a cursory look and handed back.

I don't quite understand why the divorce settlement ordered a payment 10 years in the future.

And for those UK divorced men living abroad whose ex-wife stayed in the UK and worked. (This was my situation) there is a small sentence in the regulations for voluntary National Insurance contributions stating that her contributions MIGHT bolster yours. I wrote off and, yoh! they gave me six years' extra credit, which was worth about 2,500 Quid of voluntary contributions. Which nicely popped me up to the thirty years I require for a full pension. Nobody was more amazed than me.

Pity the pension won't be worth squat all in a year or two.

Perhaps hesa skoolteecher and is on duty ! :D

From what you have written I can only assume:-

that you had the worst and most incompetent Solicitor on this earth/

there's more to the story than you are saying/

you gave up at the time and admitted to all her accusations just to get it over with quickly so you could run and hide and now it's all come back on you to bite you on the bum again.

Normally, in divorce in England the assets are split 50/50 unless there are children involved and even then the new partners finances are taken into account. You, however, would still be eligable to pay maintenance for the children only (not her) but at a lower rate since she has another partner who should be financially supporting them.

If the partner was not named at the time of the Divorce though, you would then have to pay the totals and possibly maintenance for her too since she divorced you.

Unfortunately, with regard to the 20,000 GBP it's a case of 'If you can't prove it, don't say it' so that is lost anyway! Should your accussations get back to her about this and she has a witness to your statements, you could find yourself in a Defamation case.

Your ex-wife can go after this 10,000 GBP by making an Order of the Court AFTER the date due for payment has passed. For the new Order of the Court to be put into action, it has to be served to you alone. No-one can sign on your behalf. That means the Baliffs have to find you first and place this document in your hands alone. Do they have an address for you where you are actually residing? If not, they can't serve you!!!

Should this all happen and you are found and served the papers, you can also counterclaim yourself! Ten years is a long time and times change. You now have a new wife, home and family and all these new things have to be taken into account aswell. You could find yourself in the position where you can claim against her and her partner if they are financially better off than you.

You should only let this be known, however, after she has tried to serve you with the papers for default of payment for the 10,000 GBP or if she then tries to go after a share of your pension.

I left the UK in 2003 and now live in Chiang Mai.

Since living here I have become sick and tired of people I know in the UK contacting me moaning about all their problems, telling me how lucky I am living in Thailand, how miserable they are in the UK and harassing me for several reasons.

So to avoid this, I now only use a PO Box address, so all my mail is delivered directly to the post office and only give out my home phone number and full residential address to my banks, Inland Revenue office and billing companies.

If anyone wishes to contact me from abroad, they can do it either using Skype, emails and mobile phone.

So the easiest solution is to cover your tracks and let others worry about how they can screw money out of you.