Ausse Govt Warns Of Japanese Encephalitis

george

Ausse Govt warns of Japanese encephalitis

We encourage you to take prophylaxis against malaria where appropriate and to take measures to avoid insect bites, including using insect repellent at all times.

This advice is misleading.

Most anti-malaria tablets are highly toxic and should not be taken for prolonged periods.

They also tend to encourage the production of resistant strains of the disease.

OK for a short holiday, but not for residents in LOS.

Care, using insect repellent and spraying living quarters is more important.

If any symptoms are experienced then the patient should go straight to hospital

for tests and treatment

Annual outbreaks in Chiang Mai Valley and sporadic cases in Bangkok suburbs

http://www.itg.be/ITG/Uploads/MedServ/EJAPENC%20bijlage.pdf

http://www.itg.be/ITG/Uploads/MedServ/ejapenc.pdf

Should take this seriouss once infected nothing can help, and it have an high mortality rate.

The web site shows risks to be May to October (rainy season) in Thailand & border nations.

Should take this seriouss once infected nothing can help, and it have an high mortality rate.

The web site shows risks to be May to October (rainy season) in Thailand & border nations.

The risk in the suburbs of Bangkok are much underestimated, because many compounds in that suburbs of Bangkok are build on, and surrounded by old paddy fields;

the water is not drainage and stand still, they are an excellent breading places for mosquitoes.

I stayed many times in Nonthaburi and Bang Bua Thong area, I always get terrible mosquito bites, once I even have to go hospital because my legs and arms where swollen. I renew my Japanese encephalitis vaccines every 3 year, even its very expensive

The risk in the suburbs of Bangkok are much underestimated, because many compounds in that suburbs of Bangkok are build on, and surrounded by old paddy fields;

the water is not drainage and stand still, they are an excellent breading places for mosquitoes.

I stayed many times in Nonthaburi and Bang Bua Thong area, I always get terrible mosquito bites, once I even have to go hospital because my legs and arms where swollen. I renew my Japanese encephalitis vaccines every 3 year, even its very expensive

Just taken a look at your second link & i'm in the hi risk areas rice paddys everywere & pigs close by, i can't even remember 2 years ago that my NHS doctor even mentioned this virus even though he new i had swelling from mosquito bites, so maybe i've been lucky i don't seem to get bit as much now for some reason but will look into local clinics here for the injections next march time.

For those from the UK i've just read familys being quoted £800 at private clinic's but it can be done via your doctor were as he give's you a presciption fixing the cost & one of is nurses will inject for free, but it seems the cheapest option is if your long term is to do it here in Thailand,also it was mentioned that vaccination is not recommened for short stay tourists ie up to 4 weeks,so more of a expat risk.

Edited by Mali1964

How often are you supposed to renew the Japanese encephalitis vaccinations? I thought two injections protected you for life. But after reading "henryalleman" I realise I might be wrong

You can trust the advise if this institute, because its one of the world leaders in research of tropical diseases. their ex Chief Doctor is now president of the AIDS UN aids agency, because many new AIDS treatments and medicine was invented here. Doctors from all over the world study and do research in this institute amongst them a few Thai doctors. It was visited a few times by Thai Royals.

Its just

How often are you supposed to renew the Japanese encephalitis vaccinations? I thought two injections protected you for life. But after reading "henryalleman" I realise I might be wrong

You can trust the advise if this institute, because its one of the world leaders in research of tropical diseases. their ex Chief Doctor is now president of the AIDS UN aids agency, because many new AIDS treatments and medicine was invented here. Doctors from all over the world study and do research in this institute amongst them a few Thai doctors. Its them who send Doctors to Africa at the last outbrake of the Ebola virus in Africa

It was visited a few times by Thai Royals. Almost every month some foreign president come to visit it, I always can see them arriving from my window.

Because its just a cross the street of my apartment.

http://www.itg.be/itg/GeneralSite/Generalpage.asp?L=E

You must have 3 injections on 01-07-30 day's the last one at least 10 day's before you go to an area where there can be a risk, you are protected for 2 or 3 years

But its expensive in Flanders about 192 Euro or 9000 Baht a person. But i prefer to drink a fewer beers less and go less dine out than to take a risk with my health and that of the ones I love.

Just taken a look at your second link & i'm in the hi risk areas rice paddys everywere & pigs close by, i can't even remember 2 years ago that my NHS doctor even mentioned this virus even though he new i had swelling from mosquito bites, so maybe i've been lucky i don't seem to get bit as much now for some reason but will look into local clinics here for the injections next march time.

For those from the UK i've just read familys being quoted £800 at private clinic's but it can be done via your doctor were as he give's you a presciption fixing the cost & one of is nurses will inject for free, but it seems the cheapest option is if your long term is to do it here in Thailand,also it was mentioned that vaccination is not recommened for short stay tourists ie up to 4 weeks,so more of a expat risk.

They do it,

its recommended and even compulsory as you can see

http://www.bangkokhospital.com/eng/Immunzation.aspx

We had the injection in the uk at our doctors and was charged 174 GBP each for the course of injections it is not free on the national Health Service in the UK

You must have 3 injections on 01-07-30 day's the last one at least 10 day's before you go to an area where there can be a risk

My daughter had 3 shots 3 years ago at Samitivej. We did not ask for it, it was in hospital's schedule for 2 years old. It even has it's own pre-printed section (along with sections for Hepatitis B, BCG, Measled Mumps and Rubeola) in her health book.

The price of her vaccines was never more than 2000B, usually 1200-1500B. That's expensive compared to regular government clinics.

To me, the vaccine appears to be mandatory for Thai children and whatever the price is it must be government sponsored - where the hull will the masses find 175GBP baht for every 2 years old child.

When we moved to Japan, our City Ward office requested her vaccine record and, after inspecting it concluded that she has been treated on par with Japanese kids and no action is needed.

If they said that, it has an extra meanining: Japan is the world leader in the children immunization field.

You must have 3 injections on 01-07-30 day's the last one at least 10 day's before you go to an area where there can be a risk

My daughter had 3 shots 3 years ago at Samitivej. We did not ask for it, it was in hospital's schedule for 2 years old. It even has it's own pre-printed section (along with sections for Hepatitis B, BCG, Measled Mumps and Rubeola) in her health book.

The price of her vaccines was never more than 2000B, usually 1200-1500B. That's expensive compared to regular government clinics.

To me, the vaccine appears to be mandatory for Thai children and whatever the price is it must be government sponsored - where the hull will the masses find 175GBP baht for every 2 years old child.

When we moved to Japan, our City Ward office requested her vaccine record and, after inspecting it concluded that she has been treated on par with Japanese kids and no action is needed.

If they said that, it has an extra meanining: Japan is the world leader in the children immunization field.

Can be, but is the Japanese government giving every girl at the age of 12 an free cervical cancer vaccine.

all other vaccine's in the list below are also free,

http://www.kindengezin.be/Images/Vaccinati...cm149-37501.pdf

sorry its in Dutch but the names of the vaccine's and age is easy to understand

This is so in almost every EU country.

Sorry that I'm pedantic.

Can be, but is the Japanese government giving every girl at the age of 12 an free cervical cancer vaccine.

Helath care is free for kids under 14. Free, no private health insurance can do anything better (not sure if it even exist) than national.

So, that vaccine for a 12 years old girl would be free if wanted, I doubt it's mandatory.

Ausse Govt warns of Japanese encephalitis

The Australian government has issued a health warning for Thailand:

It contains new information under Health Issues (Japanese encephalitis vaccine). The overall level of the Australian Govt traveller advice has not changed.

---

Malaria risk exists throughout the year in rural areas of the country, particularly near the borders with Cambodia, Laos, and Myanmar. Other insect-borne diseases (including dengue fever, Japanese encephalitis and filariasis) also occur in many areas. We encourage you to take prophylaxis against malaria where appropriate and to take measures to avoid insect bites, including using insect repellent at all times.

A Japanese encephalitis vaccine registered for use in Australia is currently unavailable. However, a non-registered vaccine is available for purchase by travellers through their travel clinics under a "Special Access Scheme" of the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA). For further information see the Therapeutic Goods Administration's website. The Department of Health and Ageing is working with vaccine suppliers to ensure a registered vaccine can be supplied in Australia as soon as possible. For further details see the Department of Health and Ageing's website or consult your travel health doctor.

Water-borne, food-borne, parasitic and other infectious diseases (including tuberculosis, cholera, hepatitis, leptospirosis, typhoid, and rabies) are prevalent with outbreaks occurring from time to time. We encourage you to consider having vaccinations before travelling. We advise you to boil all drinking water or drink bottled water, avoid ice cubes and raw and undercooked food, and avoid unpasteurised dairy products.

-- smartraveller.gov.au

http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/Thailand

Very Good & useful advice ....tnx >>>>>.

Helath care is free for kids under 14. Free, no private health insurance can do anything better (not sure if it even exist) than national.

So, that vaccine for a 12 years old girl would be free if wanted, I doubt it's mandatory.

All the vaccines I mentioned ( including vaccine for cervical cancer) are given to every child, normally the do it in the school so the government is sure every child gets it on the correct age.

every child meaning really every child regardless his nationality or status(meaning fugitives or illegal immigrants). But parents are allowed to refuse some vaccinations for religious or other reasons. Luckely those parents are exemptions.