Why No British Restaurants Anywhere?

theonlyway

I dont know about you Marquess, but most people in the u.k eat at home much more ofton than a pub.

Maybe those that run good British food down dont know a baking tray from a hole in the ground. A little skill in the kitchen goes along way.

love him or hate him, you can not deny Jamie Oliver made cooking trendy, and with it single men learnt to cook and not just "pierce plastic and microwave for 3 mins"

I for one have his books and used to enjoy putting together meals that were a blend of the better side of British food.

I think it is a fallacy that French food is fantastic and British food is dire. Does anyone belive that a busy French family comes home from work and then spends hours slicing and dicing before a banquet on crisp white table cloths.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is a fallacy that French food is fantastic and British food is dire. Does anyone belive that a busy French family comes home from work and then spends hours slicing and dicing before a banquet on crisp white table cloths.

Delia Smith caused a stir when she sold a book in france on how to cook. Apparently the french are now mostly rubbish at cooking, a result of the "eat out" craze that's swept europe. It was mentioned in the press that certain french officials were offended/bemused at the thought of a British woman teaching the french how to cook. :D

On a related note: the frogs do a mean fish soup, with toast, cheese and a garlic dip. You can buy it here in sunny :o England and it's heaven.

Despite a string of "British" restaurants opening in the city this year, New York's traditionally adventurous diners are proving reluctant to embrace the notion that British food can ever be more sophisticated than fish and chips, say restaurateurs.

Many Americans associate British food solely with pub food and, in a city offering hundreds of national cuisines, they still have trouble with the idea of a "British restaurant", she added.

The term "British restaurant" is an oxymoron, so is "British cuisine". Which language does 'cuisine' originate from? :o:D

Despite a string of "British" restaurants opening in the city this year, New York's traditionally adventurous diners are proving reluctant to embrace the notion that British food can ever be more sophisticated than fish and chips, say restaurateurs.

Many Americans associate British food solely with pub food and, in a city offering hundreds of national cuisines, they still have trouble with the idea of a "British restaurant", she added.

The term "British restaurant" is an oxymoron, so is "British cuisine". Which language does 'cuisine' originate from? :o:D

Je ne comprend pas

Let me rephrase it, relevant to an area of expertise you're familiar with, doc:

Name 3 winegrowing regions in France known for quality wines, name one in Great Britain.

See what I mean? :D  :o

Name some famous British Chefs - Gordon Ramsay/Jamie Oliver/Marco Pierre White/Terence Conran/Gary Rhodes....<deleted> has that to do with wine growing regions Strollster? Can you name any famous American/Ozzie/German/French ones without google?

:D

Name 3 winegrowing regions in France known for quality wines, name one in Great Britain.

Name some famous British Chefs - Gordon Ramsay/Jamie Oliver/Marco Pierre White/Terence Conran/Gary Rhodes....<deleted> has that to do with wine growing regions Strollster? Can you name any famous American/Ozzie/German/French ones without google?

Excellent comment. Our (real) food is great! Eat it or beat it!

Settle down Chon. Even without Google I can actually do that, and I suspect that you can too. I am less bright regarding wine growing area's of the UK. Happy happies :D

Lovely thread gents :o I have to defend British cooking, my great Aunties were chefs, and were ###### good cooks, me mum learned from them, and there are heaps of very rich, very posh British dishes that I spose many would never get to experience.

What really gets me though is the comment (usually from Asians) that English/Australian cooking has no taste, <deleted>! That is the biggest load of <deleted> I have ever heard, first thing I say is 'reason you cannot taste the fine delicate textures of our cooking is because you killed your taste buds at birth by eating raw chillies you peasants!! :D

When me mum makes yorkshire puddings to the old recipe, the flavour is just spectacular, add it to a roast that has been cooked more than 5 <deleted> minutes, and you have flavour overload. Roast potatoes, crunchy on the outside, and a lovely fluffy texture inside, a bit of salt n pepper and the gravy from your roast and what more do you need???

Heres a good test for all the farang tossers out there who rave on about Thai cooking, try cooking the same Thai dish with a little oil and no spices, no oyster sauce, no fish sauce, no suger, just the rudimentary ingredients and a little oil, see how it tastes now after being 'cooked' in a wok for 4 minutes flat.... yeah exactly, tastes like flavourless meat n vegies doesnt it..

Lovely thread gents  :o  I have to defend British cooking, my great Aunties were chefs, and were ###### good cooks, me mum learned from them, and there are heaps of very rich, very posh British dishes that I spose many would never get to experience.

What really gets me though is the comment (usually from Asians) that English/Australian cooking has no taste, <deleted>! That is the biggest load of <deleted> I have ever heard, first thing I say is 'reason you cannot taste the fine delicate textures of our cooking is because you killed your taste buds at birth by eating raw chillies you peasants!!  :D

When me mum makes yorkshire puddings to the old recipe, the flavour is just spectacular, add it to a roast that has been cooked more than 5 <deleted> minutes, and you have flavour overload. Roast potatoes, crunchy on the outside, and a lovely fluffy texture inside, a bit of salt n pepper and the gravy from your roast and what more do you need???

Heres a good test for all the farang tossers out there who rave on about Thai cooking, try cooking the same Thai dish with a little oil and no spices, no oyster sauce, no fish sauce, no suger, just the rudimentary ingredients and a little oil, see how it tastes now after being 'cooked' in a wok for 4 minutes flat.... yeah exactly, tastes like flavourless meat n vegies doesnt it..

There's no rudimentary ingredients in Pommy tucker then ? Tosser

Off topic. What is your reason for being, Dr pong? You may think that your Devil's advocate style one liners serve a purpose, in fact, like you, they don't.

Go back to flirting in the ladies forum. I cringed as i read your boasting about your 'timing'.

On topic. Would anybody agree that The Londoner pub serves up the best British snap in Bangkok? The jacket spuds must be some kind of record breakers. If there is better i would like to know.

Ravisher, you have me at a loss. i re-read my post and could find no trace of any of the words you seem to be berating me for. I always use the word British, although i am not offended by Brit.

I dont belive i attackted Dr pong, just his style of writing. If a book critic gives a poor reveiw of an author, has he let himself down badly?

I do belive Dr pong and his endless quotes in order to deliver what he, and he alone, belives is a stinging and ultimate comment is tiresome.

I enjoyyour posts and was impressed by your 'climb down' regarding the German and the slapped bargirl affair. But i must confess i dont get your point on this one. Feel free to let me know

Ahh! now im with you. Youre right. you werent very clear. I stand by my comment on Dr. pong, especially when you look at the other moderators.

Enough said.

I remember from the past you said you are in Greece. To stay on topic or at least close to. Is the Cypriot style of Meze meals a standard in Greece? I remember eating a 16 course meal washed down with fine dry white Cypriot wine.

Now, when people talk about how wonderful French food is, i describe the setting of a rustic restaurant in the Cypriot hills.

Sounds almost the same, except there is no obvious main course in the meals i have enjoyed there. Meze seems to be the name i remember from the time. And from the hotel 'Authentic meze meal' night. I skipped those and headed out in to the hills in a rented jeep.

Tuna wrapped in vine leaves and lamb stew was out of this world.

I've travelled to many countries and have always found food to enjoy in all of them. British food at its best can compete with any in the world, unfortunatly in todays busy world more and more food just comes out of a packet or tin, or is just reheated in a microwave.

Just thinking of a nice roast leg of welsh lamb, mmmmmm, saying that had lamb for christmass dinner, it was New Zeland lamb which is ok if you can't get the good stuff :o

>>On topic. Would anybody agree that The Londoner pub serves up the best British snap in Bangkok? The jacket spuds must be some kind of record breakers. If there is better i would like to know.

We found the Londoner food very disappointing (compared to some great UK pubs) - maybe the days we've been there, they've just had a bad chef in, but the roast dinner was really 'stewed'..... and as for the dinner they called Christmas Dinner :o The service is good though.

A shame really - we're going to try the other options and hope for the best.

Off topic. What is your reason for being, Dr pong?  You may think that your Devil's advocate style one liners serve a purpose, in fact, like you, they don't.

Go back to flirting in the ladies forum.  I cringed as i read your boasting about your 'timing'.

On topic.  Would anybody agree that The Londoner pub serves up the best British snap in Bangkok?  The jacket spuds must be some kind of record breakers.  If there is better i would like to know.

It has been a good while since I have been there Dodge. With 44 posts one wonders who you used to be. Won't take long to establish I think.

Off topic. What is your reason for being, Dr pong?  You may think that your Devil's advocate style one liners serve a purpose, in fact, like you, they don't.

Go back to flirting in the ladies forum.  I cringed as i read your boasting about your 'timing'.

On topic.  Would anybody agree that The Londoner pub serves up the best British snap in Bangkok?  The jacket spuds must be some kind of record breakers.  If there is better i would like to know.

It has been a good while since I have been there Dodge. With 44 posts one wonders who you used to be. Won't take long to establish I think.

Dr Seuss??? The CAT in the hat??? :o

I believe the one liners are one liners coz that is as far as your intellect extends.

Dr Pong you are certainly on the nose.

Getta life.

Oh Yeah Happy New Year :o

Edited by farang24

Of course it tastes just as bland as sliced carrots or cauliflower boiled in water for hours, that is exactly the point.

Anyway, English food can be delicious, but tends to be a major let-down when its not done well, one needs to be selective about the venue.

Some posters idea of 'fair' criticism is rather curious, I used to have the odd spell of 'doc-bashing' myself, but some comments here seem to dish out insults rather than voicing critique.

On topic. All this talk of British food is spoiling my Tom Yum Moo. I think the point has been made that any country serves up tosh fast food. Pie 'n'Chips for the British, Gristle on a stick for the Thais. As a foodie i have munched my way through most of the things i have heard described, i have munched a few of the cast of watership down due to my grandfather the farmer, but i have no idea what jugged hare is. Over to you Ravisher.

Sounds like the Londoner fell down over Christmas. Was the dinner that bad and is it true they had the nerve to charge a 1000 baht for it?

Off topic. Glad to see dr. pong is doing his bit for insomnia sufferers. And your point about my low number of posts is....what? Are you suggesting i am a veteren posing as a new-ish-bie? Add paranoia to your list of poor traits. Maybe it was the day of my first post when i asked a few questions about how to use this forum and you barged in likea bullied child let loose amongst smaller children. I intend never to respond to your drivel again, maybe i should never have risen to your depths. I expect a warning for this tirade and i shall take it on the chin. Needless to say when my spaniel lets out that involuntary woof as he sleeps, it will make more sense than you could ever aspire to .

A pub owned by Derek an English guy in Suk Soi 7 this is the menu. Thai and British food. Heres the menu.

Breakfast

1 All Day English Breakfast 2 Eggs, 2 Bacon, Fried Bread, Sausage, Beans, Toast, Jam 160

2 Big Breakfast 2 Eggs, Gammon Steak, Sausage, Beans, Fried Bread, Toast 210

3 On Toast Beans, Eggs any style 110

4 Continental Orange Juice, 2 Toast and Jam 80

5 Bacon / Sausage / Egg Sandwich – Plain or Toasted 100

6 2 Ham, 2 Egg, 2 Toast 120

Refreshers

7 3 Pork Sausages 215

8 Hamburger and English Style Chips 140

9 Cheeseburger and English Style Chips 150

10 Baconburger and English Style Chips 160

11 2 Sausage, 2 Eggs Englsih Style Chips, Beans , 2 Bread and Butter 195

12 2 Gammon Steak with Pineapple English Style Chips, Fried Egg, Peas, Salad 270

13 Deep Fried Chicken English Style Chips, Peas, Salad 230

14 Fish and Chips Peas, Tartar sauce 270

15 Spaghetti Bolognaise 270

16 2 Ham, 2 Eggs English Style Chips or Mash, Beans 195

17 2 Eggs, English Style Chips 2 Bread and Butter 150

18 2 Sausage, English Style Chips Beans, 2 Bread and Butter 195

Main Courses

19 Roast Lamb, Mint Sauce and Garden Vegetables Mashed & Roast Potatoes and Gravy 360

20 Roast Pork, Crackling, Apple Sauce with Garden Vegetables Mashed & Roast Potatoes and Gravy 360

21 Roast Beef, Yorkshire Pudding, English Mustard, Vegetables Mashed & Roast Potatoes and Gravy 360

22 Pork Chops, English Style Chips with Garden Vegetables 290

23 Fillet Steak, English Style Chips and Garden Vegetables 400

24 Winking Frog Club Sandwich Special 135

25 Bacon Lettuce and Tomato Sandwich 120

26 Cheese, Ham, Egg, Tuna Sandwiches 100

27 Portion of English Style Chips 80

28 Ham, Cheese or Tuna Salad with English Style Chips 250

29 Roast Chicken with English Style Fries, Garden Vegetables 250

30 Homemade Chicken & Mushroom Pie English Style Chips or Mash, Peas or Beans, Gravy 210

31 Homemade Beef & Onion Pie English Style Chips or Mash, Peas or Beans, Gravy 210

32 Steak & Kidney Pie English Style Chips or Mash, Peas or Beans, Gravy 210

Dessert

33 Apple Pie and Custard 120

Thai Menu

34 Fried Rice Chicken, Beef, Pork, Shrimp 80|90

35 Fried Noodles Chicken, Beef, Pork, Shrimp 80|90

36 Jungle Curry Chicken, Beef, Pork 100

37 Green Curry Chicken, Beef, Pork 120

38 Chicken Curry Soup with Coconut Milk 120

39 Tom Yam Gai 100

40 Tom Yam Kung Thailand's No 1 Soup 120

41 Mixed Fried Vegetables 90

42 Fried Beef & Vegetables in Oyster Sauce 120

43 Fried Shrimp with Chillies 120

44 Fresh Shrimp, Garlic with hot Thai Sauce 140

45 Fried Pork or Beef 80

46 Spicy Fried Rice Chicken, Beef, Pork, Shrimp With Chillies and Basil Leaves 80|90

47 Thai Salad, Spicy Glass Noodles, Salad, Shrimp 100

48 Deep Fried Noodles Chicken, Pork, Beef 80

49 Rice Soup Pork or Chicken 80

50 Rice Soup Shrimps & Egg 90

51 Stuffed Omelette 70

52 Fried Chicken with Cashew Nuts 120

53 Sweet & Sour Pork or Chicken 95

54 Portion Boiled rice 15

Isan Food

55 Spicy Papaya Salad 50

56 Lap Chicken, Pork, Beef 90

57 Nam Tok Pork, Beef 90

58 Nungyang Beef 90

The Winking Frog Prices Include Government Tax but Exclude Staff Gratuities - Thank you for your Custom

Who said pizza was invented in the US? What a load of crap!...I think you'll find it was in Naples in Italy. The Yanks may have doctored it but they certainly don't get the honour of concocting it!

BTW, does anyone know where the acronimn "W.O.G." originated?

Wobbly Old Git? :o

It definitely would in my case. However, I'm informed (correctly or incorrectly) that it originated from the Egyptian w*rkers employed during the construction of the Suez Canal; something to do with "Working on Orders of the Government" being stamped on the back of their w*rk clothes. But I could be wrong - I have been before.

More years ago than I care to remember/admit, but as a kid I heard that it was derived from "Western Oriental Gentleman".

I just typed it into Google (do the same and put the whole phrase in quotes - you'll be amazed by what you'll find). Among other things, I turned up this:

As for the word itself, it is variously supposed to be short for golliwog or an acronym for Western Oriental Gentleman or Worthy Oriental Gentleman (the most probable origin.)

It was coined by the "pukka" British to denote their superiority over the darker races and eventually even lighter races with the exceptions of the Americans and the northern Europeans.

I can vouch for part of the last paragraph - having lost count of the number of times I used to hear "<deleted> begin at Calais". As I tell foreign friends: NEVER forget that Britain is an island.

Edited by Steve2UK