Thai Fonts

Baannok

Hi, I'm looking for some Thai fonts to play around with. I've searched TV but all the links from older threads are long gone. Googling "thai fonts" doesn't give much. I think there should be at least a few sites like 1001freefonts (or whatever it is) for Thai fonts. It might be full of flashing banners but that's ok, I just want to get some nice Thai fonts. So how do you write "thai fonts" in Thai?

You apparently didn't Google enough...this site readily appears:

http://www.hawaii.edu/thai/thaifonts/

Usually I have no trouble with display of Thai fonts. However, I just tried the Royal Institute dictionary site and it displays

like this: ¾¨¹Ò¹Ø¡ÃÁ Do you know which fonts I am missing ?

I also cannot read the RI dictionary site in Thai. It is a script error in IE and I am not sure how to remedy it. I tried fiddling with language and font settings in IE/Tools/Options but to no avail. Maybe somebody else with the right expertise can sort this out.

Edited by Fore Man

Usually I have no trouble with display of Thai fonts. However, I just tried the Royal Institute dictionary site and it displays

I also cannot read the RI dictionary site in Thai. It is a script error in IE and I am not sure how to remedy it. I tried fiddling with language and font settings in IE/Tools/Options but to no avail. Maybe somebody else with the right expertise can sort this out.

In Firefox, for example, "View", "Character Encoding", choose "Thai (Windows-874)". If your computer or browser does not show this encoding, then go to "Tools", "Options" "Content", "Languages" and make sure that "Thai" is shown, in addition to English. If "Thai" is not shown, then you need to choose Thai in "Select Language to Add".

Other browsers have a similar set of protocols. Please let us know if this works. Good luck!

In Firefox, for example, "View", "Character Encoding", choose "Thai (Windows-874)". If your computer or browser does not show this encoding, then go to "Tools", "Options" "Content", "Languages" and make sure that "Thai" is shown, in addition to English. If "Thai" is not shown, then you need to choose Thai in "Select Language to Add".

Other browsers have a similar set of protocols. Please let us know if this works. Good luck!

My firefox was already set as described and it still didn't work. So I went to Seasite where I think I had a similar problem on just a few of their links to check. I noticed the RI link over there, and if I click their link to go there it seems to work fine. But since it's all Thai and I never used it before, maybe I'm looking at something else. The RI dictionary link is here:

http://www.seasite.niu.edu:85/thai/

@ klons, go to hxxp://www.seasite.niu.edu:85/Thai/maanii2/download/software/windowsXP.htm which shows you how to install the fonts and the Thai keyboard. Once you've got both installed, you'll be able to switch the keyboard in Firefox to type in Thai via a link in the Windows Taskbar. For example: สวัสดีครับ

@ klons, go to hxxp://www.seasite.niu.edu:85/Thai/maanii2/download/software/windowsXP.htm which shows you how to install the fonts and the Thai keyboard. Once you've got both installed, you'll be able to switch the keyboard in Firefox to type in Thai via a link in the Windows Taskbar. For example: สวัสดีครับ

OK thanks, I got the keyboard out of that. I still get gobblygook if I access the RI dictionary directly. But if I access it thru seasite, I get a script error message but I can use the dictionary and fonts work fine.. This is a problem I can live with.

OK thanks, I got the keyboard out of that. I still get gobblygook if I access the RI dictionary directly. But if I access it thru seasite, I get a script error message but I can use the dictionary and fonts work fine.. This is a problem I can live with.

Are you indeed entering the commands "View", "Character Encoding", choose "Thai (Windows-874)"? I get a different set of gobbledygook when I access http://rirs3.royin.go.th/dictionary.asp - the Firefox version I use guesses Cyrillic for the encoding! The recommended command sequence (specific to Firefox) successfully tells the browser to interpret the page according to the normal Thai-specific encoding.

Are you indeed entering the commands "View", "Character Encoding", choose "Thai (Windows-874)"? I get a different set of gobbledygook when I access http://rirs3.royin.go.th/dictionary.asp - the Firefox version I use guesses Cyrillic for the encoding! The recommended command sequence (specific to Firefox) successfully tells the browser to interpret the page according to the normal Thai-specific encoding.

OK, I got it thanks. While at the RI site I did the"View", "Character Encoding", choose "Thai (Windows-874) except in my Firefox

the only Thai selection for the RI site is Thai (TIS-620). In any case, everything works fine.