My cousin is the best man to head the army

george

My cousin is the best man to head the Army: Thaksin

Published on Aug 30, 2003

Prime Minister Thaksin Shina-watra yesterday defended the promotion of his cousin to the Army's top post, saying he was the best man for the job.

General Chaiyasith Shinawatra, whose fast-track promotion recalls the Kittikachorn clan's domination of Thailand before the 1973 pro-democracy uprising, also hit out at critics who said he rose to the most powerful military post simply because of his surname.

Chaiyasith was appointed Army commander-in-chief in the annual military reshuffle on Thursday. He will take command on October 1.

Thaksin said reshuffle lists from the Army, Navy and Airforce and the Supreme Command were finalised by the permanent secretary for Defence General Sam-phan Boonyanun.

"He took into account traditional practices, seniority and abilities when making the final list for the reshuffle," Thaksin said.

"The best decision has been made, based on national interests."

Critics have accused Thaksin of wanting total control of Thailand, similar to the Kittikachorn family before it was brought down by the 1973 bloody popular revolt.

But the prime minister insisted Chaiyasith rose to the top on his own merits.

"Let's be reasonable here. It's not that a private has become a general because of [political connections]. If someone who is lieutenant general assumes the rank of general, it shouldn't be too hard to understand, whether this someone happens to have connections or not."

Chaiyasith said he would not to tolerate any criticism that family connections resulted in his promotion, but stopped short of saying what actions he would take against critics.

"The matter is over so I will no longer tolerate criticism over my surname. The appointment has been made and it is over so stop criticising me on this point," Chaiyasith said.

"My surname cannot be changed anyway. Don't be sarcastic. I'm not a man who is easily upset, or I wouldn't be a soldier in the first place. But I don't like sarcastic people."

As the new Army chief, Chaiyasith said he plans to upgrade Army communications.

He also said the Army had been suppressing drug trafficking along the borders, "but we might not do enough to publicise our works on drug suppression".

Chaiyasith added that the Army was ready to assist police to counter violence in southern border provinces when requested.

He said the Army now had good ties with troops of neighbouring countries and the Thai Army regularly held meetings with regional counterparts.

The Army was ready to support United Nations operations, he said.

-- The Nation 2003-08-30

"He aint heavy ,hes my brother -or in this case cousin.Simply covering his back.

Most countries (inc.UK) have be doing it "ad finitum".

Silver spoon jobby keep in in the happy family...theres a word for it...Nepo-Nepi-Napo-Nupe- and ends with an ism. :o

Go for it -great stuff........

PM's former classmates to be promoted

(Manop Thip-osod -thanks .Post)

The Police Commission will review on Sunday a proposed annual reshuffle that recommends promotions for several former classmates of Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra at the Police Academy.

The list will be submitted for final screening at a meeting on Monday, to be chaired by Mr Thaksin, a source said yesterday.

Among the proposed promotions for Mr Thaksin's former classmates were the transfer of Pol Lt-Gen Wongkot Maneerin from the Police Academy to the post of Central Investigation Bureau commissioner.

Also included was the elevation of Pol Lt-Gen Chalor Chuwong to a regional commissioner.

In addition, Pol Lt-Gen Prung Boonphadung, who was close to Interior Minister Wan Muhamad Nor Matha and Deputy Prime Minister Gen Chavalit Yongchaiyudh, would also be appointed regional commissioners.

Pol Lt-Gen Somsak Buppasuwan, a former classmate of national police chief Pol Gen Sant Sarutanont, would also be made a regional commissioner.

Pol Maj-Gen Thani Somboonsap was tipped to be elevated to commissioner of the Metropolitan Police Bureau.

Pol Lt-Gen Ammarin Niamsakul, currently in charge of investigating the bribery scandal, would be promoted to regional commissioner, as would Pol Lt-Gen Ukrit Patchimsawat, current chief of the Policy and Planning Office.

:laugh:  :laugh:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/30Aug2003_news14.html