367 Deaths With 4,107 Injured In Road Accidents over 7 days of New Year's holidays

george

I just get in the lane I want--as long as it's not the parking lane and take my time.

Which is one of the problems :o

No lane discipline.

The number of cars I see, creeping along in the outside lane, forcing cars to overtake on the inside. Ridiculous and dangerous.

Assuming you took your test in Europe or America, Scott, you should know better.

Unfortunately over here, drivers are not given the proper education.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I share the daily fear and panic of these roads.

Policing (effective or not) only goes so far. A big dose of education is needed when driving any social change. A barrage of government funded TV awareness advertising might help.

If I ever think about driving after a drink, the reason I choose not to is a fear of causing injury, not a fear of legal consequences. I would not be afraid if I had not been constantly told about the statistics and shown sensible images on the TV of what can happen.

Perhaps also if drivers need to have "good luck" flowers they should consider hanging them in positions which don't blatantly block their line of vision and / or mirrors?

LOL!!

Perhaps also if drivers need to have "good luck" flowers they should consider hanging them in positions which don't blatantly block their line of vision and / or mirrors?

and

No lane discipline.

My girlfriend sometimes drives. (her car). She has bad eyes, drives in ALL lanes, and has a cluster of view imparing good luck whatsits on the mirror!!

I usually lie down so i cant see the near misses. ( i should never have taught her how to take a bend on the mountain roads [if you can see all the way round])

She is driving quite aggressively at the moment due to all the Bangkok cars up here for the holidays. Bloody Bangkokians. They dont like em much up here!

Edited by whiterussian

IMO, policing is definitely one of the root-causes of the drunk-driving problem in Thailand. If the BiB are willing to accept bribes, then it is they who are the criminals. Until the public develops a backbone and stands up against this thievery of public trust, nothing will ever change.

Interesting enough, I came across a stats report put out by the MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Driving) organization in the US. One of the stats that was interesting to see is that 50-75% of those drivers that were convicted of drunk driving and had their licenses suspended, continued to drive anyhow. I suppose the likelihood of being stopped again is slim to none, especially if the offender is sober.

The things that Thailand should consider:

1. Eliminate corruption within the police ranks; perhaps establish a national police force to monitor the lowly BiB.

2. Build better roads

3. Do not allow the establishment of businesses or residential homes along the highways; provide exit ramps to secondary roads where these can be built.

4. Put into place stricter tests that a person must pass before being allowed to drive a vehicle, and if not already done, place restrictions on what type of vehicle(s) a person can drive.

5. Teach drivers to use the horn to vent frustration when a peer driver f*cks up.

P.S. It would be nice if a Thai would come up with a bumper sticker that stated in Thai that "A corrupt police officer is a CRIMINAL".

Safety on the roads is a function of enforcement. It has very, very little to do with rational thought. Especially when people are young, they will live dangerously. Police need to be PATROLING the roads actively--not a few check points, with a few citations and a breathalyser. It's the cat-and-mouse game of never knowing when your going to get caught that keeps people obeying the law.

I drive slowly and safely now, but 25 years ago it was a matter of how fast I thought I could get by with going.

Enforcement needs to be done for red lights, turn signals, speeding, driving on the wrong side of the road and improper lane usage.

A decent driver's education course and licensing requirements would also help.

Might I add:

My Simple thinking:

It is thought that most if not all Thai police are criminals i.e. take bribes and don’t do their jobs. It might also be understood that one reason police take bribes is to supplement their low pay. How about this idea:

Enforce the law, creating a safer system for all. Enforcement means make the guilty individual receive consequences e.g. a traffic ticket with a large fine/loss of driving privledges. Then take part of the money received from ticketing motoring offenders and increase police salaries.

Two things might be accomplished and benefit all, including and especially the Kingdom of Thailand.

Thats what they are doing here in CM, i think its 40-70% of the fine goes to the cop back at the station... Which is why they have been cracking down on unregistered bikes.

Then take part of the money received from ticketing motoring offenders and increase police salaries.

Also, over the last week, i have been warned against driving after a drink (by heavy Thai drinkers) because of the 10,000 baht fines they are handing out...

and the thing that is remarkable... is that i actually believed they (the Thais -and my girlfriend) were afraid of getting a fine...! Thats a first for me.

Edited by whiterussian

Thai New Year road deaths toll hits 278: ministry

20 hours ago

BANGKOK (AFP) — At least 278 Thais have died in road accidents during the New Year holiday, with drink driving causing more than 41 percent of the crashes, the interior ministry said Saturday.

The toll rose by 52 from the previous day and was up 6.1 percent from the same period last year, when millions of Thais traditionally head to see family members across the country.

The rising deaths come despite a heavy promotion of safety by the government.

The Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department said 2,996 people were also hospitalised in road accidents this New Year.

The overall number of accidents this year slightly dropped from last year's figure by 1.1 percent, or 30 cases, to 2,793 accidents.

Drink driving caused 41.6 percent of the accidents this year while motorcycles were involved in 83.6 percent.

Source: AFP

Death toll of New Year's road travellers rises to 278

BANGKOK, Jan 3 (TNA) - The total number of dead from driving accidents on the nation's roads during the New Year's holiday rose to a total of 278 on Friday, the fourth of the "seven high risk travel days", a senior interior ministry official said Saturday.

Anucha Mokhaves, Director-General of the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation, said in his capacity as Secretary-General of the Road Safety Centre that a total of 2,793 road accidents took place throughout the country during the past four days, killing 278 people and injuring 2,996 others.

On January 2 alone, 52 people died and 492 injured in 464 accidents, Mr. Anucha said. Drunken driving was the main factor in most accidents with almost 42 per cent of the total followed by speeding at nearly 22 per cent while 84 per cent of the accidents involved motorcycles.

Surin province bordering Cambodia had the most accidents in the past four days with 96 while the northernmost province of Chiang Rai had the most fatalities with 15, he said.

As most New Year revellers are expected to return to Bangkok on Saturday and Sunday, Mr. Anucha said he had ordered officials at highway checkpoints to apprehend reckless drivers, especially buses operating on a long distance and carrying excessive passengers.

Government and private offices will reopen Monday after a five-day New Year holiday. (TNA)

Source: TNA MCOT news

I just get in the lane I want--as long as it's not the parking lane and take my time.

No lane discipline.

The number of cars I see, creeping along in the outside lane, forcing cars to overtake on the inside. Ridiculous and dangerous.

Assuming you took your test in Europe or America, Scott, you should know better.

Correct, I just drove down from the North yesterday though all the mayhem and the major cause of all the near misses I saw ( I didn't see an accident take place, just the aftermath of about 20), was some idiot drifting along at 50kmh when the rest of world wanted to go at around 90 or 100, worse still if they were doing it in the outer lane!

It is invariably the slow traffic that causes the other idiots to take the risks in the first place.

Also, it seemed that motorbikes were a large part of the stats. When I was coming down the road from Nakhon sawan, bumper to bumper at around 100kmh, suddenly there was an old woman on a motorbike stationary between the 3rd and 4th lanes with cars swerving around her. She was obviously trying to cross the road, like many others I had seen waiting at the side on the way down. With the traffic volume it was near suicide to attempt to cross, but perhaps a combination of alcohol and frustration caused many of them to try and fail. Building underpasses or bridges for motorcycles would go a long way to reducing the accidents, but you would have to build a lot of them.

You have to go along with the driving culture here and drive the same way as the thais (but as safely as possible). "...just get in the lane I want--as long as it's not the parking lane and take my time..." is just causing a problem, so at best you're being selfish....

It is invariably the slow traffic that causes the other idiots to take the risks in the first place. .....................

When I was coming down the road from Nakhon sawan, bumper to bumper at around 100kmh, ............................

Bumper to bumper at a 100/h and calling other people idiots? Euhhh?????? :o

white russian -

why are you so angry?

and why do you seem to have such a hate for thais?

having married a lovely thai woman 7 years ago, with a great work ethic, bundles of kindness, generosity and empathy

but from a poor and humble family in isaan i don't like the narrow minded manner in which you refer to these 'peasents'

they are poor but this is the fault of the corrupt, power hungry selfish elite here in thailand and a national system which has not yet offered them the opportunities that us fromthe rich developed world have taken for granted

nor do i like your high opinion of yourself in assuming you can talk down to us 'sucker farangs' nor do i understand your point anyway!

do you live in thailand?

do you know thai people?

if the answer is yes then i feel sorry for you as you clearly aren't enjoying your experience here

by the way- the average income in thailand is about 9,500 baht a month

however, i still don't see your point in showing the figure 12,000

- if it's to show how stupid the borrower is then adjust your thinking and think a little more about how irresponsible and greedy the lenders are in taking advantage of someone who is keen to reach for 'face' and pride , although hastily and without the understanding to maintain it!! empathise a little

Thai government still thinking that there are too many Thai in this world and just counting the casualties as always...

What I do not understand is why the cops do not stop EVERYBODY to ask for money, because maybe if everyone was sure to have to pay something to the police they would maybe slow down.

So maybe cops are not corrupted and greedy enough to reduce casualties ?

Just a stupid idea of mine !

56 killed, 635 injured in road accidents on 1st 'dangerous day'

BANGKOK: -- A total of 596 road accidents occurred on the first of 'seven dangerous New Year holidays' Tuesday, killing 56 people and injuring 635 others.

And on Day 2:

There were 882 accidents with 97 fatalities and 960 injuries.

And on Day 3:

There were 851 accidents with 83 fatalities and 909 injuries.

And on Day 4:

There were 464 accidents with 52 fatalities and 492 injuries.

- The Nation / 2009-01-03

So where does the figure of 278 come from??

Agreed something wrong with the reporting. 38% = Most

Agreed. To look back over several posts here, let me add from 'usually reliable sources' that:

Thai Govt accident statistics include ONLY those taken to Govt hospitals (private hospitals never reveal statistics) and ONLY the dead bodies at the roadside. They do NOT include people who die within a few minutes or hours of arrival in hospital. I thus conclude that the actual casualties are FAR worse than the numbers quoted.

In UK, the most common offence (of ANY) is driving while disqualified!

Comments: to the man who never relaxes at the wheel and is scared the whole time, GOOD. This will help keep you alive amid all the madness.

Bangkok drivers in Chiang Mai: FAR more this season due to the Zoo, cheaper petrol etc. They go like hel_l, very aggressively on the main drags, overtaking down the hard shoulder if they deem it necessary. In the city they can't read signs or maps and hold up all we locals!

My No 1 HATE figure this season? The moron in the pick up driving up the hard shoulder of the 118 towards Doi Saket at 30 mins to midnight on New Years Eve. Only doing about 70kph, but AGAINST the traffic on this dual carriageway, flashing his lights on main beam at we boring legal people going the correct way. Where are the kamikaze pilots when you need them??!!

So where does the figure of 278 come from??

from this guy:

Anucha Mokhaves, Director-General of the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation, said in his capacity as Secretary-General of the Road Safety Centre that a total of 2,793 road accidents took place throughout the country during the past four days, killing 278 people and injuring 2,996 others.

i am new to living in Bangkok and was thinking of getting my moped shipped over from samui where i resided before, looking at these stats i am slightly scared now! Is it a really bad idea to moped in the capital ? Having stayed in Bangkok for a couple of months i don't see the point in driving a car because you just sit in traffic all the time and i hate the artificial air in taxi's. One more question, is it easy to park a moped in BKK, can you just pull up and jump off grab your shopping etc like you can in other parts of the country?

cheers

BANGKOK: -- A total of 596 road accidents occurred on the first of 'seven dangerous New Year holidays' Tuesday, killing 56 people and injuring 635 others.

And on Day 2:

And on Day 3:

And on Day 4:

And on Day 5:

There were 368 accidents with 22 fatalities and 400 injuries.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/13...5-days-of-break

Edited by sriracha john

Thailand's New Year road deaths toll rises to 300

BANGKOK, Jan 4 (TNA) – The overall death toll in Thailand's New Year road accidentally has risen to 300 with the injured recorded at more than 3,000 persons during the first five days of the most dangerous seven day peak period of the New Year holiday.

Director-General Anucha Mokhaves of the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation said that 368 road accidents were recorded on January 3, the fifth day of the most-risky seven day peak travel period during the New Year holiday.

The death toll for Day 5 stands at 22 with 400 people injured.

The overall five-day statistics recorded from December 30-January 3 recorded 3,161 road accidents nationwide with 300 deaths and 3,396 persons injured. The greatest number of fatalities was reported at 15 in the northern province of Chiang Rai and the most accidents occurred in the northeastern province of Surin.

Driving while intoxicated was the main cause of accidents, accounting for over one-third or 33 per cent of all accidents, while 28.5 per cent involved speeding. (TNA)

Source: MCOT TNA news

No lane discipline.

Correct, I just drove down from the North yesterday though all the mayhem and the major cause of all the near misses I saw ( I didn't see an accident take place, just the aftermath of about 20), was some idiot drifting along at 50kmh when the rest of world wanted to go at around 90 or 100, worse still if they were doing it in the outer lane!

It is invariably the slow traffic that causes the other idiots to take the risks in the first place.

Also, it seemed that motorbikes were a large part of the stats. When I was coming down the road from Nakhon sawan, bumper to bumper at around 100kmh, suddenly there was an old woman on a motorbike stationary between the 3rd and 4th lanes with cars swerving around her. She was obviously trying to cross the road, like many others I had seen waiting at the side on the way down. With the traffic volume it was near suicide to attempt to cross, but perhaps a combination of alcohol and frustration caused many of them to try and fail. Building underpasses or bridges for motorcycles would go a long way to reducing the accidents, but you would have to build a lot of them.

You have to go along with the driving culture here and drive the same way as the thais (but as safely as possible). "...just get in the lane I want--as long as it's not the parking lane and take my time..." is just causing a problem, so at best you're being selfish....

For sure the worst thing I see about Thai roads is the ability to do a U Turn on a road with more than 2 lanes from the fast lane of one side of the carriageway into the fast lane of the other carriageway............... unbelievable!!

It's a bloody disgrace. The only way to combat the reckless moronic attitude of drivers is a draconian clamp down coupled with education e.g. TV broadcasts showing the horror of road accidents. No punches pulled. I wonder what the statistics are in more authoritarian countries like Singapore. Does anyone have details?

Is there a driving test in Thailand? People on mopeds carrying small children show a total disregard for safety. Centre road hogging, no lane discipline, speeding, no hand /indicators showing intent etc. etc. etc.

Sad that every year this count has to go on. I wonder if they actually count accurately. A friend came over to visit last night and he saw two very bad accidents on his way and he was reasonably sure the people laying on the road were dead. But unless he saw all the people killed in Bangkok on his way over, something isn't right with their counting.

I feel sorry for all who got killed or injured. Bangkok Dangerous? Isaan Dangerous? Still better than killed by 'friendly fire'..........

It was crazy and down right dangerous out there on the roads near my home in the of N.E. Isaan yesterday. <deleted>#ken idiots mainly with Bangkok number plates were on a suicide mission.

The road blocks set up in just about every village are a joke, if manned, the BiB were pissed up just sitting around watching the bazaar goings on.

From my point I was an idiot for venturing out in the 1st place, it wasn't till I was half way to where I was going on my short 10km trip that I realised what I was in amongst so completed the mission and breathed a big sigh of relief!

....and Songkran is only 3 months away.

I drove several hours on a Thai hwy yesterday (death wish perhaps?), and I guess I avoided at least half a dozen accidents and had about 20 close calls. I think drivers leave their brains on the hat rack before leaving their houses.

No lane discipline.

I'm familiar with the highway from Nakhon Sawan. Its have 4 lanes and many times I saw an overloaded pick up driving on the far right lane at 50 K an hour on an almost empty highway because the next 20k he must take an U turn or leave the highway. Or I see an motorbike with 3 persons on speeding at 120 k at nightfall without lights between the cars. I think Thais are suicidal.

And why Thai drivers are so afraid to turn on their lights.

Some more ideas:

- Have you ever seen how much some nice people, so KRENG JAI guys, become so aggressive behing the wheel? It seems that they release all their hate when driving instead of learning how to say "Fuxk You" to their boss, Khun Po, or Khun Mai sometimes !

-Also, I guess it's impossible to make the driving license exam more difficult in Thailand as everybody would buy it. Incredible to know some wealthy Thai in Bkk you just bought their license not to waste time trying to get it legally. Shame on them (Fuxk them also, I told them, because I am able to drive slowly :-) ).

-About the lights off, yes, I have never seen so many cars at night without lights than here, maybe some of those people who bought the license and never learnt that the first thing to do before starting the engine is to put your safebelt and switch on lights.

Edited by frenchFARANGbkk

I have been driving here for about 4 years two of them on a fairly large motorbike. I knew it was just a matter of time before someone tried to kill me so I now drive a car. I am constantly in a sate of fear and cannot let my concentration slip for a second. I have never been in an accident in over 40 years of driving. Has anyone ever counted the "skid marks" on the freeways? They are every few metres. By the time I get to work in the morning I am a nervous wreck. What is the answer?
It was crazy and down right dangerous out there on the roads near my home in the of N.E. Isaan yesterday. <deleted>#ken idiots mainly with Bangkok number plates were on a suicide mission.

The road blocks set up in just about every village are a joke, if manned, the BiB were pissed up just sitting around watching the bazaar goings on.

From my point I was an idiot for venturing out in the 1st place, it wasn't till I was half way to where I was going on my short 10km trip that I realised what I was in amongst so completed the mission and breathed a big sigh of relief!

....and Songkran is only 3 months away.

Oh dear! I am planning to hire a car in Bangkok and drive my wife to North Isaan at Songkran so she can see her family. I am an experienced UK driver but have never driven in Thailand before. What is the answer? I was thinking of taking two days to get to Nong Khai by using the back roads and avoiding the freeways where possible. I would want to rent a car from a big company so I know what I'm getting and have good English speaking insurance backup in case I do have an accident.

If I'm on the freeway I can see myself getting into the slow lane and staying there if possible.

Has anyone got any tips? I am by nature a defensive driver with a clean slate aged 61.

And on Day 2:

And on Day 3:

And on Day 4:

And on Day 5:

There were 368 accidents with 22 fatalities and 400 injuries.

And on Day 6:

There were 388 accidents with 35 fatalities and 414 injuries.

- The Nation / 2008-01-05

BANGKOK: -- A total of 596 road accidents occurred on the first of 'seven dangerous New Year holidays' Tuesday, killing 56 people and injuring 635 others, a senior government announced Wednesday.

Surachai Tharasitpong, permanent secretary for Transport Ministry, held a press conference at the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation, the Interior Ministry, to announce the statistics of the first day of the seven-day road accident monitoring period.

He said the number of accidents was 156 higher than that of the first day of the monitoring period for New Year holidays last year. And the death toll increased by 23 while the number of injured people was 157 higher.

He said most accidents or 38.26 per cent were caused by drunk driving.

Phitsanulok had the highest death toll of 4, followed by Bnagkok, Chainat, Chaiyaphum, Amnat Charoen and Chiang Rai, each of 3 deaths.

-- The Nation 2008-12-31

Hardly surprising given what we see everyday on the roads over here. Too many people drive under the assumption that they can do anything they like and get away with it because the other drivers on the road will always give way and avoid an accident. Thats why even with the terrible driving standards that we see over here very few cars have the scars and dents of an accident? People will normally give way and this attitude acts as the safety net for some absolutely horrendous driving. But this only works if you are in total concentration all of the time you are at the wheel, especially when scooters are around!

However, when the holidays arrive most people are so totally focused on what they will get up to during the holidays that their minds wander and the concentration slips. The rest is inevitable as no concentration = no safety net. Couple this with people driving on less congested roads at higher speeds and accidents become more deadly with bigger consequences.

The police must carry some blame true. The rest is due to bad drivers being given licenses for money rather than ability! For example how can you possibly have an illiterate taxi driver? But there are thousands of them out there and for a handful of Baht even Stevie Wonder would be issued a driving license over here. There are no easy answers short of buying an armoured car!