Renew Uk Passport Early

My old UK passport had approx 2 years to run but having heard (fact or not) that to apply for a new Uk passport when the old one runs out, required me to jump through all sort of hoops like Biometric data, and visiting an office miles from home etc I decided to renew it by post, even though it still had 2 years to run.

I believe that it is also much cheaper to do this, than to wait and apply when passport runs out.

Any experts out there please, advise as friends are facing the same problems.

Happy New Year to you all.

had mine renewed last year and it is biometric but required no extra hoops, the cost is the same whether you renew now or later unless of course they increase the fees at some point in the future! In addition it can be renewed by post.

had mine renewed last year and it is biometric but required no extra hoops, the cost is the same whether you renew now or later unless of course they increase the fees at some point in the future! In addition it can be renewed by post.

Thanks for that JohnC

My new passport I suspect is the same as yours, in that it contains a small chip in the back cover ?

It is just that I had been informed that in 2009 the rules would change and things like, interviews in some distant Government office would be required also some form of ID card would have to be purchased (the one this so called Labour Government have been trying to cram down our throats for the last few years), costs would be much higher etc etc.

I think (may be wrong) the real biometrics would be part of the new ID card requirements.

Thanks for your post. Happy New Year

Edited by khundon