Fire At Santika Night Club

onethailand

thats another sad story about the city elephants... even not hurt by cars they suffer a lot, hidden in a back yard during day time in the heat with dangerous garbagge around, miss threated by them who borrow it from the mahout and pay him money...

people not care much about live here, i often go to pubs at rajada, not to mention that allover bkk disco, pub and restaurant parkings are full of cars...(drink and drive) i saw many small or larger accidents after closing time, worst was a white honda (customized, loud exhaust) speeding down taxi packed rajada crashing into the railing in the middle of the street overturning several times.. my taxi driver said 4 were killed... very young lives...

imagine the pain of their parents.

A couple of months ago, before I came to Thailand, I read a story about an elephant getting run over and killed on a busy street in Bangkok. Apparently it is illegal for them to be there in the first place, but the mahouts pay the police, and everyone turns a blind eye. Then it was just an elephant that paid the price for pay-off to those in authority. Don't get me wrong, that was a tragic event, and it saddened me very much.

"trash talk for the small and narrow minded, a BS conspiracy theory"

Right, I was waiting for your lot to show up. At the moment, it is speculation, no doubt, but all possibilities should remain on the table until disqualified, and in Thailand, that possibility is not only possible, but has happened many times.

So, use your trash ad hominems and predictable intimidations on someone who is impressed; I'm not.

edit: added quote

Edited by kat

From CNN

Steven Hall, a British national injured in the blaze, told CNN that flames began to spread along the ceiling above the stage where a band and DJ were performing. But some people appeared to believe it was part of the performance.

Thanks for that! Must have been a list of injured survivors then, unless there were two! Good news then, for some ......

The Nation has the emergency phone numbers:

SANTIKA PUB FIRE

Necessary telephone numbers

The followings are necessary telephone numbers of hospitals and emergency centres set up following the Santika Pub Fire tha killed at least 59.

- Bangkok city office set up emergency centre at Wattana district office : Tel. 02 3812285.

- Police's Information centre : 02-3818930 ext 7015

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009/01/01...es_30092283.php

the link offer also the contact information to 16 hospitals

all of us who have spent any time in nighclubs know this is a risk we take. I think you would have to be very carefree not to have ever considered this possibility. 5 years without major incident is a miracle. Just be aware it could have been any of us in any place.

Maybe we should start naming and shaming. Ive seen padlocks on several emergency exits across the city.

A new thread perhaps.

A terrible tragedy.

My apologies then for the misunderstanding... (I guess with him using the 'we' word I was assuming he was speaking on behalf of the club.) Anyone know who owns/manages the club then?

Found this on the National News Bureau of Thailand...

"Superintendent of Thong Lor Police Station Pol.Col.Suthin Sapphuang (สุทิน ทรัพย์พ่วง) reported that he had requested for a business license from the Santika Pub owner Suwit Setsawat (สุวิทย์ เศษสวัสดิ์) who would be interrogated. "

From the BBC News website...

"At least 53 people have been killed in a fire in a nightclub in the Thai capital, Bangkok, police said, quoted by Reuters news agency.

More than 100 others were injured in the blaze, which broke out as people took part in New Year's Eve celebrations, the agency reports.

A Thai police official told Reuters the cause had not yet been determined.

A witness told the BBC that he had seen a number of bodies being carried away from the club, named as the Santika.

The witness, Andrew Jones, said survivors leaving the club told him the fire broke out on the stage after fireworks were lit just after midnight.

He said the club was popular with foreigners and locals alike.

The club had only one main exit, at the front, and many people had been trapped inside, he said. "

link to page here

we saw all the truacks but had no idea how bad it was until reading this. sad to hear ot the loss of life.

this is so bad. i can see the rubble that was sanitka from my balcony, but all i can hear is some awful luk thuung karaoke from a new year's day party that is happening just metres from where the fire took place. i truly doubt this tragedy will change anything. so sad.

My sincerest condolences to any who have suffered a loss. Lucifer's was mentioned earlier about how it can happen there too and I fully agree as I was there back in July. Lucifer's would be much worse if the fire started anywhere's, out front towards Walking Street especially because of the long tunnel cave-like architecture in and out to the far back part dance hall where the pack in for the earbleed music. I'll never go in it again...it's another tragedy in the waiting. All it'll it take is one drunken dummy or one sick f*c* with revenge on his mind...very sad way for Thais to start new year, very sorry to see in news.

MaiThaiMai

:D:o:D

I was in a club nearby which was equally packed when there was a power cut thanks to the fire in Santika and everyone had to leave.

Saw loads of people running away from Santika. A horrible scene indeed.

One conspiracy theory circulating in Thai forums is that the fire was started by an arsonist. The story goes like this:

When the lease of the club was about to expire, the owner(s) of Santika asked for an extention because the club was doing very well but then it was immediately rejected as the premises owner saw a golden opportunity in starting their new nightclub in such a prime location already popular among clubbers. This is quite common practice in Thailand in case you didn't know. They either reject an extension or ask for much higher rent.

So the Santika management got furious for obvious reasons and planned arson of the whole premises on the last day of the lease as a way to get back to the premises owner. While police investigation is still under way, many believe the Santika management will get away because 'apparently' some clubbers have come out and said the fire was started by fireworks by one of their fellow clubbers. One can't help wondering how they could be allowed to bring in such flamable material. They also must have known that the premises owner would be held responsible for the fire-trapping design of the club.

To add fuel to the conspiracy, this was the first time that fireworks were ever used and top perfomers Joey Boy and his crew miraculously escaped the fire despite being on the stage most of the time. Plus the major share holders of Santika weren't present last night when they should have been there to offer their thanks to loyal punters and see their world renowned club end in style.

Anyway this might just be a theory but you know anything is possible when it comes to big money. Just look at the Iraq war and stuff.

My condolences to the family and friends of the many victims.

This possibility has been sitting at the back of my mind. Anyone who knows Thailand for any length of time, knows that vindictive acts around property and leasing are very common, including discontinuing a lease after a rented business becomes successful. It seems too outrageous to me that this would happen on the last day of the lease, with a sign that says "Goodbye Santika", and flagrant disregard for lighting fireworks inside the premises. Something doesn't seem right.

Either way, it is tragic and highly contemptuous of human life. Don't count on finding out the truth, or seeing anyone directly related held responsible.

trash talk for the small and narrow minded, a BS conspiracy theory.

seems extreme but anything seems possible as of now.

I was in a club nearby which was equally packed when there was a power cut thanks to the fire in Santika and everyone had to leave.

Saw loads of people running away from Santika. A horrible scene indeed.

One conspiracy theory circulating in Thai forums is that the fire was started by an arsonist. The story goes like this:

When the lease of the club was about to expire, the owner(s) of Santika asked for an extention because the club was doing very well but then it was immediately rejected as the premises owner saw a golden opportunity in starting their new nightclub in such a prime location already popular among clubbers. This is quite common practice in Thailand in case you didn't know. They either reject an extension or ask for much higher rent.

So the Santika management got furious for obvious reasons and planned arson of the whole premises on the last day of the lease as a way to get back to the premises owner. While police investigation is still under way, many believe the Santika management will get away because 'apparently' some clubbers have come out and said the fire was started by fireworks by one of their fellow clubbers. One can't help wondering how they could be allowed to bring in such flamable material. They also must have known that the premises owner would be held responsible for the fire-trapping design of the club.

To add fuel to the conspiracy, this was the first time that fireworks were ever used and top perfomers Joey Boy and his crew miraculously escaped the fire despite being on the stage most of the time. Plus the major share holders of Santika weren't present last night when they should have been there to offer their thanks to loyal punters and see their world renowned club end in style.

Anyway this might just be a theory but you know anything is possible when it comes to big money. Just look at the Iraq war and stuff.

My condolences to the family and friends of the many victims.

This possibility has been sitting at the back of my mind. Anyone who knows Thailand for any length of time, knows that vindictive acts around property and leasing are very common, including discontinuing a lease after a rented business becomes successful. It seems too outrageous to me that this would happen on the last day of the lease, with a sign that says "Goodbye Santika", and flagrant disregard for lighting fireworks inside the premises. Something doesn't seem right.

Either way, it is tragic and highly contemptuous of human life. Don't count on finding out the truth, or seeing anyone directly related held responsible.

trash talk for the small and narrow minded, a BS conspiracy theory.

Yeah, like the 9/11 "conspiracy"... think u wouldn't believe what some people would do for money...

Anyway, i hope it's not true but as my friend woke me up and said he survived a fire in bkk i read the article in a belgian newspaper (online offcourse) and when i read it was the last night of their lease it

surely was the first thing on my mind.. whatever it is , it's a sad coincidense but worth investigating, same as 9/11!!! but hey, that would be un-patriotic wouldn't it be.. another story but stuff like this just makes me think.... it's not like stuff like this never happens...

When i saw the vid on youtube dam_n, shivers all over my body, i really truly feel for all the people involved!! RIP!!!

i was supposed to be at santika last night , for a strange reason at the last minute before going to fetch a taxi , my GF and i decided not to go as we didn't want to be in an overcrowded place and most of all didn't want to have to wait hours to find a taxi back home, so we stayed home.

at 12.05 my friend whom i was supposed to meet at santika called me saying there was a fire. he's been quite lucky to escape safe and sound because he was at the bar when the fire broke out. The thing is that if i went there we would have chosen to go on the mezzanine as we always do when the place is crowded.

What he told me is that few minutes after the outside fireworks , he saw the fire starting ON THE RAMP OF LIGHTS right above the stage. He is pretty positive that the pyrotechnics had nothing to do with the fire simply because there was NO PYROTECHNICS USED INDOOR.

here is what he tells happened:

12:00h countdown -happy new year

12:01h fireworks OUTSIDE shot from a nearby building

12:1xh fire starting in the lights above the stage

12:1x+10 seconds thick black smoke filling the club, big flames above the stage and already it was hard to breathe

12:1x+ 15 he went out of the club

the thing isd that this guy is an airline pilot and knows well the dynamics of fire, but there he was amazed by the speed the fire extended. According to him the fire was well beyond normal speed of expansion.

Also i'm sick and tired of thai people blaming all the problems on foreigners. The real culprit here is the lack of fire safety PERIOD!

just put the owner of santika ltd in jail for minimum 10 years and make him pay huge compensation to the victims and the families of those who died to show other irresponsible nightspot owners that it cost to disregard the safety of the people.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx0CLesb7rE

have a look..... for the record.

hard to dispute this video.

No it is not. In fact, it is downright ignorant to attempt to draw a link between a common artistic advertising format and this tragic fire. If one was going to burn down a club, one would not do so when there were people around and one would certainly not announce the intent to burn the place down. If you wish to believe in such nonsense, go right ahead, but do not inflict it on the rest of us that have common sense. Do your homework. It was either the fireworks or an electrical explosion as per witness statements, with the tragedy occurring because of the 3 exits only one was open and there was no emergency lighting, no safety training and no fire code compliance. A hundred and one other factors, but certainly not the owner going up on stage and lighting the place on fire, ok. So just stop with the crap, please.

such sad news..

I was in Muse Bar at the top floor for the countdown. Shortly after midnight, there are lots of fireworks. we were all watching the fireworks and off course when there is fireworks there is smoke, so we didnt pay much attention. Then we notice that the smoke keep coming and we can see it rise above and it look thick and smell like something is burning, not the smell of burned chemical after a fireworks!!. 3rd floor of Muse is open air and i can see staff of Muse Bar on top of the wall looking onto Ekamai. Most people are puzzled about the smoke and smell. Then we heard the sirens and we also overheard that there was a fire in Santika. Me and my friends decide to leave even tho the waiters asured us that everything is fine and then the electric went off. A bad sign!! we left. On the street a massive traffic jam going onto Ekamai and lots of people on the street. I guess people from another club beside Muse (new club) must have sense something is wrong and decide to leave as well. a lot of people on the phone and a lot of people walking to ThongLor from Ekamai. The news this morning send me into shock!!

I can tell you that all the clubs are packed with people and most have 1 visually small entrance and exits. The other entance if any, are mostly hidden in some dark corner with stuff piled in front of it! I dont think they event want to invest on those neon light Exit sign.

A terrible tragedy.

i was supposed to be at santika last night , for a strange reason at the last minute before going to fetch a taxi , my GF and i decided not to go as we didn't want to be in an overcrowded place and most of all didn't want to have to wait hours to find a taxi back home, so we stayed home.

at 12.05 my friend whom i was supposed to meet at santika called me saying there was a fire. he's been quite lucky to escape safe and sound because he was at the bar when the fire broke out. The thing is that if i went there we would have chosen to go on the mezzanine as we always do when the place is crowded.

What he told me is that few minutes after the outside fireworks , he saw the fire starting ON THE RAMP OF LIGHTS right above the stage. He is pretty positive that the pyrotechnics had nothing to do with the fire simply because there was NO PYROTECHNICS USED INDOOR.

here is what he tells happened:

12:00h countdown -happy new year

12:01h fireworks OUTSIDE shot from a nearby building

12:1xh fire starting in the lights above the stage

12:1x+10 seconds thick black smoke filling the club, big flames above the stage and already it was hard to breathe

12:1x+ 15 he went out of the club

the thing isd that this guy is an airline pilot and knows well the dynamics of fire, but there he was amazed by the speed the fire extended. According to him the fire was well beyond normal speed of expansion.

Also i'm sick and tired of thai people blaming all the problems on foreigners. The real culprit here is the lack of fire safety PERIOD!

just put the owner of santika ltd in jail for minimum 10 years and make him pay huge compensation to the victims and the families of those who died to show other irresponsible nightspot owners that it cost to disregard the safety of the people.

This is about the same story my belgian friend told me on the phone this morning.. he didn't mention the fire could have started from fireworks on stage, he only said to me that suddently the roof was on fire here and there and from there on it spreaded amazingly fast, and the real problems begon when the electricity went off and there was no emergency light or signs, then the panick really started and he just got out in time, after he even burned his hand on the clothing of someone he helped out there :o

he also noticed that in the beginning he only saw farangs go back inside to help people out.. so i guess we're not that bad are we??

he also noticed that in the beginning he only saw farangs go back inside to help people out.. so i guess we're not that bad are we??

i was just referring to the disgusting comments in Thai newspapers and web boards saying that the fire started because some "foreigners" shot fireworks inside the club"

No it is not. In fact, it is downright ignorant to attempt to draw a link between a common artistic advertising format and this tragic fire. If one was going to burn down a club, one would not do so when there were people around and one would certainly not announce the intent to burn the place down. If you wish to believe in such nonsense, go right ahead, but do not inflict it on the rest of us that have common sense. Do your homework. It was either the fireworks or an electrical explosion as per witness statements, with the tragedy occurring because of the 3 exits only one was open and there was no emergency lighting, no safety training and no fire code compliance. A hundred and one other factors, but certainly not the owner going up on stage and lighting the place on fire, ok. So just stop with the crap, please.

I'm just saying it's a weird coincidence, not trying to make connections.

(easy with the mouthing off bro)

just shows that this forum is comprised largely of bickering, angry, anonymous men, welcome to the club! :o

Edited by hamishgillan

BANGKOK, Thailand (AP)

It was unclear how many foreigners were among the casualties.

Police Lt. Gen. Jongrak Jutanont was quoted by the Web site of The Nation newspaper as saying most of those killed were foreigners, and included tourists from Austria, Japan and Nepal.

An Associated Press photographer saw the bodies of at least 10 foreigners from the fire at the police morgue but authorities did not provide immediate identification and some rescue workers said that they saw mainly Asians among the dead.

A joint roster provided by Bangkok hospitals showed that three Japanese, two South Koreans and one Singaporean were treated while another Singaporean identified as Teo Sze Siong had died. The names of seven other foreigners were posted, but no nationalities were given.

One of the Japanese, Wada Keiichi, 25, was in a coma and suffering from burns over 60 percent of his body, doctors said.

Associated Press.

--------------------------------------------------------

Four Brits hurt in Bangkok inferno

At least four Britons were injured in a devastating New Year's Eve fire in a Bangkok nightclub that killed 59 people, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office said.

Thai officials said a number of foreigners were among the casualties of the blaze, which erupted shortly after midnight at the Santika Club.

More than 200 people were injured during the stampede to escape from the venue, which had only one exit for the public.

A Foreign and Commonwealth Office spokeswoman said: "I can confirm that we know of four Britons who have been injured."

She said consular staff in Thailand were helping Britons affected by the tragedy.

"They are trying to get to the bottom of how many British nationals have been involved, either injured or killed," she said.

The Press Association

Three Aussies injured in Bangkok fire

At least three Australians were among those injured when a fire swept through a Bangkok nightclub, killing at least 59 New Year's Eve revellers.

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) has confirmed three Australians - a 29-year-old woman, her 30-year-old brother and a 49-year-old man - were taken to hospital after the blaze at the Santika Club.

Embassy staff in Bangkok have visited all three and are providing assistance, a DFAT spokesman said. The next of kin of all three have been notified.

No Australians have been confirmed among the dead.

'The Australian government extends its sympathy to all the victims of this terrible tragedy, Thais and foreigners,' the spokesman said on Thursday.

Australians concerned about the safety of loved ones in Bangkok have been urged to contact DFAT on 1300 555 135.

Sky News Online

No Malaysian in Thai fire tragedy

No Malaysians were involved in a fire that killed 58 people and injured more than 100 others at a top Bangkok nightclub celebrating the New Year on Thursday.

Malaysian and Thai officials confirmed that there were no Malaysians killed or injured in the incident on New Year’s eve.

New Straits Times

New Year inferno at Bangkok nightclub

An AFP correspondent said some 100 people gathered outside the cordoned-off nightclub, while inside abandoned shoes and broken bottles littered the floor, testament to the panic inside hours earlier.

"I heard that the electricity went out, so they couldn't find the exit signs to get out," said Ash Sutton from Australia, who was awaiting news of a friend who was in the club when the fire broke out.

"It's horrible, horrible... I couldn't understand why so many people were killed. They must have been trapped upstairs."

Police Colonel Sutin Sapmuang, of the local police station, said 58 people were so far confirmed dead.

A Bangkok emergency services headquarters official said 223 people including 29 foreigners had been injured and had been rushed to 19 hospitals across the capital suffering from burns and smoke inhalation.

"The injured foreigners include French, Australians, Swiss, Japanese and Finnish," the official told AFP.

Japan's Kyodo news agency, citing the Japanese embassy, said four Japanese nationals were injured, one seriously.

AFP

CNN

Nightclub fire witness speaks

CNN's Sasha Herriman talks with Steven Hall, a British citizen, who escaped the New Year's Day blaze in Bangkok. VIDEO click here

Thanks for that, I thought of a quote I heard and thought i would include it. I don't want to take away from the tragedy so will just let this go.

“There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance- that principle is contempt prior to investigation.”

i was just referring to the disgusting comments in Thai newspapers and web boards saying that the fire started because some "foreigners" shot fireworks inside the club"

i know, it's the most save and easy thing to blame it on the foreigners..

Just called back to my friend, he said he stood on the balcony above the entrance somewhere far from the stage and he saw the roof on fire here and there, that's why he first thought (or still thinks?) it came from outside on the roof or something,as they fired fireworks from the opposite building.. he said he started to walk down, everybody still evacuating calmly but one minute later the roof already started collapsing, this near the entrance! dam_n that must have gone fast.. guess u can't imagine how fast it really can go till your inside it...

I hope they will make a descend investigation and get the ones to blame!!

of course they arewell connected, with that sort of money such a club makes every night, it's upper scale and every night full. don't expect a statement.

many club owners are. if not even police themself, politicians or sons of them. thats why bigger clubs can stay open longer and open days where everything has to close, like hollywood at rajada, or a large upper class karaoke place under the bridge at klong tan which even stayed open at election day.

Heard that the owners are influential and well connected....so dun expect any of them to be held accountable

This is a terrible tragedy.

Those wanting a decent investigation from the police, I wouldn't hold out too much hope. They haven't even managed to get a complete list of the deceased out yet and yet the police are already making statements about how they believe this has happened.

It is impossible to believe that any forensic investigation could make progress in one day. How many people will have eye witness accounts, but are still in hospital and yet the police are already making statements discounting various possibilities. There could be months required just to get eye witness testimony, but once again the BIB instinctively know what has happened.

This guy also says people were firing fireworks inside.. its a shocking video so you might not want to see it.

You know I've read through 9 pages of posts about this tragedy. It is truly horrible.

In 9 pages of comments by the thaivisa.com users, I have seen lots of comments about the thais and their lack of safety precautions, lack of placing safety as a priority, corruption, and calls for criminal punishment and so on.

I have to say that after watching these videos, I am really thankful of the Thai emergency services staff and those heroes who helped out and tried to save lives.

This may have already been mentioned, I can't read through lal of the replies here...

I have to say I'm very sorry about all the dead and injured and I agree with all those who say that precautions could have been made to prevent this tragedy but when the tragedy is actually hapenning why is there complete pandemonium outside? Why are the emergency workers dragging people around and throwing them over their shoulders and running to ambulances and letting ladies heads drop back onto the ground etc etc etc, it seems that whenever there are sirens all of these 'rescue' workers just go crazy and create more panic than there already is???

I didn't see one hose being directed into the building on the 8 minute youtube vid here

All I saw was panic, mostly amongst the 'rescue' workers, have they had training for an emergency?

I even saw one lady laying on the ground with burned legs, moaning and turning her head and one of these workers came up and checked her pulse! Does he really think her pulse has stopped despite the fact that she's moving and making noises!?

An absolute tragedy, and an absolute shambles too.