Soi Cowboy Fire

mangoman007

Fire breaks out a Soi Cowboy pub

BANGKOK: -- A fire broke out at a pub on Soi Cowboy early Friday. Nobody was injured.

Police said fire fighters spent about 15 minutes to put out the blaze after it broke out at the Raw Hyde Pub at 2:30 am.

-- The Nation 2009-01-02

I was outside Tilac when the fire took place and the doorman from Rawhide was calling the fire brigade on his mobile. I known lots of the girls in Rawhide for a few years and had no idea if everyone got out or not. Funny feeling goes through you when someone you know might be in there.

We went to the front door where a couple of policemen were shining their torches in trying to see if anyone was still in there but the smoke was so thick you could only see about 6 feet inside. There was a bright glow at the back but whether it was the fire or lights that were on you couldn't tell.

Smoke started coming out all the seams of the upper floors at the front. A young Thai guy had climbed up with a torch and shone it into the fire escape at the front. The next thing a girl popped her head followed by her friend and the came down the fire escape ladder and into Penny black next door. within a minute of them getting out the smoke intensified was as black as coal so they made it by the skin of their teeth.

A few minutes later a small fire truck came came into Cowboy from Soi 23. Where the hel_l he was going I have no idea, he drove right past the fire and onto Soi Asoke........wierd!! it was like the driver never saw it.

The police numbers were up a bit and a lot off shouting going on but no one seemed to be in control and there were people including including myself standing right in front of the building.

How stupid are we when drunk? I for one didn't know if there gas bottles in there or how bad the fire inside really was.

Two large fire engines came in from Asoke a few minutes later and some more Policemen arrived at the same time.

The cop in charge of the new arrivals knew exactly what he was doing. He immediately took control and in a matter of 2 minutes and cordoned off the area and cleared us all away from the building'

Within 3 or 4 minutes he and his men empty the entire Soi and soi 23. It was like the march to Wembley on cup final day.

Great News!!! there were no casualties as although bang there we had no idea if anyone was still in there sleeping on the upper floors.

Someone a said it started on the 2nd floor but a policeman told us it was streamers or something that had caught fire on the ground floor. No matter where it started there will be no dancing in there for a while.

Edited by George4

but no one seemed to be in control

TIT

What a welcome to the forum.........meet a <snip> on my 2nd post.

Moderators here must not want new members they let you stay around mate.

Edited by soundman
Removed flame.

TIT

Welcome to Thai Visa George4. :o

TIT is an acronym for This Is Thailand.

I very much doubt adjan jb was calling you a TIT.

TIT

Welcome to Thai Visa George4. :o

Welcome to LOS (Land Of Smiles) George4 and Happy New Year.

TIT is an acronym, not one of these soft fleshy milk-secreting glandular organs on the chest of a woman.

You have a lot to learn. 555

:D

2 pub fires in 2 days makes it hard to ignore the fact that it can & does happen (anytime).

the 'operation' at cowboy seemed fairly quick & extensive, but still regarding casualties it really depend on how many people was trapped inside & how easy it was to get out!

so in this case luckily only 2 were upstairs & they made it thru a fire escape combined with a relatively low intensity fire that didn't spread to other buildings or even floors :D

lucky for this case & unlucky for santika which was the other extreme - too many people + no fire escapes + no control until it was too late (stampede had already taking place) :o

anyway the question needs to be asked - any upcoming lease expiry on rawhide?

TIT

Welcome to Thai Visa George4. :D

TIT is an acronym, not one of these soft fleshy milk-secreting glandular organs on the chest of a woman.

It was his third post that I thought was funniest! :D

Looks like you've scared him off for good adjan....YOU BULLY! :D:o

Come back George4 & we can personally assign adjan to you to show you around.

2 pub fires in 2 days makes it hard to ignore the fact that it can & does happen (anytime).

the 'operation' at cowboy seemed fairly quick & extensive, but still regarding casualties it really depend on how many people was trapped inside & how easy it was to get out!

so in this case luckily only 2 were upstairs & they made it thru a fire escape combined with a relatively low intensity fire that didn't spread to other buildings or even floors :D

lucky for this case & unlucky for santika which was the other extreme - too many people + no fire escapes + no control until it was too late (stampede had already taking place) :o

anyway the question needs to be asked - any upcoming lease expiry on rawhide?

Funny how people assume rumours or assumptions as a fact. Santika did had fire escapes, at least three in addition to main entrance. Some international news agencies are still reporting people dying due lack of fire escapes...

Sorry, back to topic now. Glad no one got hurt on this one.

sorry for the off topic, but still on topic as pub fires although 2 different ones.

the fact that gets reported is that although there may have been other exits (well yes there was several) one can't really call them fire exists as they weren't clearly marked & informed to anyone thus only used by a few select staff, band, vip etc & thus helped to cause the overall result of tragedy for hundreds trying to exit 1 door at the same time :o

do you get the idea/point better now or do you feel better knowing there actually were several exits that unfortunately under utilized?

Leave it to a couple of bar girls to be able to escape quickly through a window.

In tragedy a good laugh reduces stress and heals.

I noticed the earlier report of the guy climbing the exit to check the upstairs. Maybe the girls were disoriented and had it not been for the flashlight beam would not have known where the window was. If so, the guy's a hero.

TIT

Welcome to Thai Visa George4. :D

It was his third post that I thought was funniest! :D

Looks like you've scared him off for good adjan....YOU BULLY! :D:o

Come back George4 & we can personally assign adjan to you to show you around.

Yes come back George4

Please

sorry for the off topic, but still on topic as pub fires although 2 different ones.

the fact that gets reported is that although there may have been other exits (well yes there was several) one can't really call them fire exists as they weren't clearly marked & informed to anyone thus only used by a few select staff, band, vip etc & thus helped to cause the overall result of tragedy for hundreds trying to exit 1 door at the same time :o

do you get the idea/point better now or do you feel better knowing there actually were several exits that unfortunately under utilized?

My point was that there was more exits than one. Also used by the customers to exit for smoking area. My feelings have nothing to do with it.

IMHO it does not matter if there is green exit signs with or without lights. With all the smoke and panic going on those signs become useless pretty fast. Have you ever been in a building on fire and full of smoke? Can't see jack s....t even with proper gear on... But i do agree they should be there as in smaller fires and in the early moments of bigger ones they do save lifes.

About five minutes before the fire outbreak, I was looking into the Bar and saw that they just closed. I wondered about the Christmas decorations from cotton ...

After I was sitting in front of the bar next to the door onto a bar stool and smoked a cigarette.

A short time later I heard bang, bang, bang..., and the around 4 or 5 women run with the cry "Ai-Baah" out from the bar. I took a look inside the bar and at the same time, there was a kind of lightning and the bar stood for a brief moment in flames. Once the cotton was burned, it had only burned slow; the fire but has redistributed.

Subsequently, I immediately ordered at the neighboring building that they people from the karaoke on the second floor and from the snooker club on the third floor and the people in the higher floors to evacuate.

Then I said to the gaping Thais, that somebody should immediately call the fire brigade, which is a type then immediately did.

It is interesting that in the Thai newspapers is written now, I have seen sparks arose, as the DJ plugged out the facility. How should I see something like that? I sat beside the door outside of the bar. It was fireworks!

(Sorry: translated from german to english by google)