แพ้เมีย

tgeezer

แพ้เมีย I looked this up in the RID the other day and thought I understood. ว. มีเมียกี่คนๆ ก็ตายจากไปก่อนหมด if you have several wives you wont die a widower. Today I took a look at Lexitron and found it meant having several wives die.

แพ้เมีย I looked this up in the RID the other day and thought I understood. ว. มีเมียกี่คนๆ ก็ตายจากไปก่อนหมด if you have several wives you wont die a widower. Today I took a look at Lexitron and found it meant having several wives die.

Good, nobody came in on this; I have decided to 'kick it into the long grass' I just remembered that I declared that I wouldn't be picky.

Asked a Thai, and got the following:

อาจจะมีสองความหมาย

ความหมายที่หนึ่งก็คือกลัวภรรยา

ความหมายที่สองคือมีภรรยากี่คนก็ตายหมด

Came across this sentence on Google:

ผู้ชาย : มีปฏิกิริยาหวาดกลัวต่อสิ่งมีชีวิตที่เรียกว่า 'เมีย'แต่ถ้ามีพวกเดียวกันอาศัยอยู่ในบริเวณใกล้เคียงจะแสดงอาการต่อสู้ไม่ยอมแพ้เมียทันที

which apparently takes the first meaning ie ผู้ชายเวลาอยู่กับภรรยาจะกลัวและเกรงใจไม่กล้าพูดกล้าแสดงอะไรที่จะทำให้ภรรยาโกรธ

แต่ถ้าอยู่ต่อหน้าพวกเพื่อนๆของตัวเองจะแสดงท่าทางว่าตัวเองไม่ได้กลัวภรรยาเลย

Also reminds me of the word แพ้ท้อง - to have morning sickness.

Hope I understood her explanation correctly. A little knowledge can be dangerous thing and this may not be the whole picture.

Edited by katana

I pulled out because I realized that it is a word and not open for interpretation.

It is an adjective with the meaning of 'widower several times married.' or it did ten years ago when the Dictionary was published!

Edited by tgeezer

Kanata's answer is correct. The original meaning is as it's given in RID. But later, people use this phrase in the meaning of 'being afraid of wife' or 'allergic to wife' more than the original one.

There also be 'แพ้ผัว'- "having many husbands all who died earlier." which has similar meaning as 'แพ้เมีย'.

แพ้ผม - to have hair going grey unduly soon, to have falling hair.

แพ้ฟัน - to have bad teeth, to lose one's teeth unduly soon.