I Hope Lucifers Take The Tragedy In Bangkok Seriously

ruds

I hope the owners of Lucifers have been watching the news over the last few days and have taking note of the tradegy at the Santika club in Bangkok. They need to rethink the exit/entrance to their club

Nothing will change.

Nothing changed after the Royal Jomtien fire.

Nothing changed after the Route 66 fire.

Nothing changed after the Hollywood fire.

Nothing changed after the incident when the police raided the place, and numerous people were injured (including police) when people charged through that one narrow entrance/exit trying to escape (guess a whole lot of people that night had reason to not want to pee in a bottle). :o

Nothing will change after this most recent tragedy either.

Word to the wise. Keep one hand on your wallet, and one eye on the nearest exit at all times (and that applies everywhere, not just Thailand).

I hope the owners of Lucifers have been watching the news over the last few days and have taking note of the tradegy at the Santika club in Bangkok. They need to rethink the exit/entrance to their club

good point,i love the place but when its packed down the back you do wonder about your chances of getting out incase of an emergency,not very good i think.

YEAH me and my mates say the same,we stay up the back so we can throw the stools through the windows and jump in the water.

Nothing will change.

Nothing changed after the incident when the police raided the place, and numerous people were injured (including police) when people charged through that one narrow entrance/exit trying to escape (guess a whole lot of people that night had reason to not want to pee in a bottle). :o

Word to the wise. Keep one hand on your wallet, and one eye on the nearest exit at all times (and that applies everywhere, not just Thailand).

being the vast array of bars ,discos n gogos etc here in patts im suprised things like this have not occured more reguarly (god forbid) since eeing the reports on tv made me think of all the places around town that are well dodgy regarding this. marines escalators , lucifers to name just two . most in bkk died from trampling and smoke inhalation becos could get ...all very sad my thorts go out to all the friends and relatives of those who perished.

Nothing will change.

Route 66? :D

Do you mean Route 999?

Nothing will change.

Do you mean Route 999?

Probably a Freudian lapse :D

I agree that Lucifer's layout, with the stes you must go up and then down to reach the main exit and the narrow passage way is a disaster in waiting, but, to be fair, after the Route 999 fire additional fire exits were put in or, if not newly put in, finally made obvious with lighting. THere is more than one way out (other than the window) and anyone who's been there a couple of times has surely seen the green fire exit signs.

One of the main problems is overcrowding the room. I don't suppose they have any ceiling on numbers allowed inside?

I can't understand why anyone over the age of 20 would enjoy

Edited by tropo

Tropo I am with you mate, I like spacious disco(s) myself - point usually is to dance. In lucifer's - you are jammed against each other, and they are definitely over capacity. However who is going to enforce it?

Edited by britmaveric

Mentioned to the Manager in Lucifer's - basically told farang worry too much, just enjoy yourself. :o

Bet if anyone said the manger of "Santika" prior to the events of New Years Day they would have basically been told to mind their own business too...

It is not just Lucifer's, it is virtually every business on the west side of Walking St, I recall that progressive administrations at "Pattaya Hall" keep on about knocking down that side of walking street.

It is not just Walking St but many bars, guest houses, restaurants, hotels are not up to standard, may be the fall out from the Santika tragedy is that the guys who used to do the building inspections will be replaced with uncorruptible ones that start to close business that fail to meet building and safety codes.

Mentioned to the Manager in Lucifer's - basically told farang worry too much, just enjoy yourself. :o

Well everybody should boycott the place then until it is taken seriously. It wouldn't be that difficult to open up the entrance/exit a bit

Good point Kerry. I must admitt I have often wondered about the bottleneck at the entry/exit point in Lucifers.

It is hard enough trying to leave in normal time(when busy), let alone if the place was in panic mode! :o

Nothing changed after the Route 999 fire.

Do you mean Route 999?

Probably a Freudian lapse :D

My bad. I should have caught that. I remember when it happened (had been there a week early with some staff from Polo. One of the mamasan's had a sister working there as a cashier. She made it out OK.)

I recall our glorious local TV stations continued to play the Route 999 television ads for almost 2 weeks after the place burnt to the ground. :o

I seem to also recall a lot of talk about tightening up regulations and such after that fire. That lasted what, 2 weeks and then faded into distant memory ?

Unless it turns out there were some (very) famous people killed in this latest tragedy in Bangkok, expect this story to fade away just as quickly.

i dont think its just lucifers,i dont like the place but its definitely many of the large discos when packed.....has insomnia got lots of fire exits as that stairwell to go in isnt very big either....and marine??

did anyone else see that there was a fire in walking st on new years eve.............about 2 am i was walking along and could smell a bad burning smell along the street,looking up could see there was a fire on top of one of the shops that was closed(this was about 3 shops up past the walking st pub with the car on the wall)....looked quite bad as could see the flames but within a minute or two a couple of thai guys appeared and told everyone it was out now,phew!!!! maybe a firework landed on something on the roof, later on in the evening/morning the electric blew near the 7/11 outside marine and the walking st lights went out......sounded like a firework exploding, i seem to remember a while back someone was electrocuted who worked at the 7/11.

ive also never liked the fact that people fire the rockets in the streets here,looks really dangerous and im surprised more injuries dont happen.

i had an idea ....why dont they make any establishment over a certain size have a sprinkler system especially if limited exits to the place!!

One of the main problems is overcrowding the room. I don't suppose they have any ceiling on numbers allowed inside?

I can't understand why anyone over the age of 20 would enjoy

The general rule is as long as you can reach in your pocket to get out your money it is not overcrowded

Bet if anyone said the manger of "Santika" prior to the events of New Years Day they would have basically been told to mind their own business too...

It is not just Lucifer's, it is virtually every business on the west side of Walking St, I recall that progressive administrations at "Pattaya Hall" keep on about knocking down that side of walking street.

It is not just Walking St but many bars, guest houses, restaurants, hotels are not up to standard, may be the fall out from the Santika tragedy is that the guys who used to do the building inspections will be replaced with uncorruptible ones that start to close business that fail to meet building and safety codes.

I would like to think that things would change in Thailand but as we can see from history, they will not. The Jomtien Palm Beach Resort fire in which over one hundred people died occured in 7/11/1997 and the night-club-fire in Bangkok happened on 1/1/09. There have been MANY fires take place in the interim time between these two events in which people have died or been seriously injured. Some have been left permanently disabled (me). It is pretty obvious that little if any changes have taken place to prevent these events. The only one who can guarantee your safety is you and your actions. Stay on a low-floor of the hotel (if possible) and don't go to death-trap locations where you have a building capacity of thousands but one very small and diffficult entrance/exit. Why these businesses are allowed to operate is criminal.

Take it from my experience, don't take your safety in Thailand for granted.

.....has insomnia got lots of fire exits as that stairwell to go in isnt very big either....

Came to my mind as well. With the steep narrow stairs, that place could be a dead trap as well.

But that's the case for almost all establishments on Walking Street when packed. With the dense constructions there are not many possibilities to improve this though.

As bad and sad as the incident in Santika is, I think that driving a car, motorbike or crossing 2nd road is statistically a higher mortal risk.

It happens every year all around the world. I was raised in New England and knew that place that burned down during the white snake concert.

Most places keep the exits poorly marked, and the side and back exits blocked or the escape alley's cluttered with boxes and trash bins, making them basically unusable. They won't pay to post bouncers at safety exits, and won't allow panic bar doors to be unmanned because they are worried about people on the inside letting people on the outside in without paying.

I have not gone into Lucifers for several years. I do like the idea of the fellow here that posted about the back side and the windows and tossing chairs out in case of an emergency. I will have to take a look at that if I go in when it is not crowded yet.

So long ago that I forgot, I actually went on a fire inspection tour of several new and old buildings with our city's fire chief way back in about 1973. I was a boy scout and it was part of a project I was doing. It was amazing how many common sense things were not done that we caught. Stairwells with no light switches in them. They worked fine during the day because of one small window, but at night, pitch black. Complete lack of fire hoses or extinguishes. That fire chief inspector was doing a decent job as I recall.

Nothing will change.

Exactly as on the road, families have their kids dying everyday but I still see them riding motorcycles without helmets, and drunk...