Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Bangkok Budget Hotel Wanted

wcr

Can anyone suggest a clean but cheap (800 Baht or less per night) hotel in BKK that is a short walk or taxibike ride from a BTS station for my Laos partner to stay when visiting BKK in a few days?

Thanks

Can anyone suggest a clean but cheap (800 Baht or less per night) hotel in BKK that is a short walk or taxibike ride from a BTS station for my Laos partner to stay when visiting BKK in a few days?

Thanks

I always use Bangkok City Suite Petchaburi Rd, Clean comfortable 5min from Skytrain, or 20 min walk to town (pantip plaza area)

Soi Kasem San 1 is opposite MBK, there are quite a few guesthouses on that road. Wendy, The White Lodge, A1 Inn. All around 800 baht a night and on a quiet soi with no touts. The National Stadium Sky Train station is less than a minutes walk down the soi.

I'd have to agree with Lady Heather here. This soi is very solo female traveller friendly, very quiet and very little traffic.

The guesthouses are fairly basic but most have airconditioning and hot water. The Reno Hotel has done some upgrading but is a bit out of your budget at around 1200 baht a night. I think Wendy house (or maybe its Bed and Breakfast) does online bookings.

The Sathorn Inn

Immediately next to Chong Nonsi Sky train station.

Rooms from 800 to 1200 baht a night.

An ok hotel but very close and very convenient for Silom!

37 Silom , Soi 9 Silom Road

Bangrag, Bangkok 10500

Tel > (66)-2-238-1655-8 (66)-2-637-8337-40

Fax> (66)-2-237-6668 (66)-2-238-1617

Edited by sbk
email removed per forum rules--sbk

Siam Palace, THB 600.00 (near Saphan Kwai station Skytrain)

3, Soi Pradipat 10, Pradipat Rd., Saphan Kwai, 02-2711192

Pradipat Hotel, THB750.00 (near Saphan Kwai station Skytrain)

Pradipat Rd., Saphan Kwai, (lose telephone #) but you can find on internet in the Yellow pages

Liberty Garden, THB 640.00 with breakfast (near Saphan Kwai station Skytrain)

Pradipat Rd., Saphan Kwai, (lose telephone #) but look in the Yellow pages too

Wattana Mansion, THB 600.00 (near Suthisan station MRT)

209 Soi Rachadapisek 17 Rachadapisek Rd., Dindang, 02-2750110

All with AC, Refrigerator, hot & cold water, TV, 24 hours room service

Asha Guesthouse, THB 400 (fan) and THB 500 (AC) (near Saphan Kwai station Skytrain, Suthisan station MRT by motorbike)

all rooms with balcony, free washing machines, free internet and WiFi

02-2711417 (see their website, www.ashaguesthouse.com for photos and more details)

All these places are well know by the taxi drivers and not far from Mochit bus station (Taxi from Mochit about THB 100.00)

At last Thai Youth Hostels Association with guesthouses all over Thailand, info 02-6287413-5

If you apply for a (senior) membership card you get discounts on the published prices.

More info see: www.tyha.org

Have a nice stay.

Henri.

Asha Guesthouse, THB 400 (fan) and THB 500 (AC) (near Saphan Kwai station Skytrain, Suthisan station MRT by motorbike)

all rooms with balcony, free washing machines, free internet and WiFi

02-2711417 (see their website, www.ashaguesthouse.com for photos and more details)

I recommend this place, I stay there every time I am in Bangkok, it's inexpensive, clean and friendly. Also has a small swimming pool and gym.

At last Thai Youth Hostels Association with guesthouses all over Thailand, info 02-6287413-5

If you apply for a (senior) membership card you get discounts on the published prices.

And of course, if you already have a membership-card from any of the other (60 or so) YHAs round the world, then that already covers you with the Thai YHA ! :o

And of course, if you already have a membership-card from any of the other (60 or so) YHAs round the world, then that already covers you with the Thai YHA ! :D

Ricardo

I didn't know that. I used the membership-card from a friend and on the back of the card is printed 'for use in Thailand only' :o .

Henri

Asha Guesthouse, THB 400 (fan) and THB 500 (AC) (near Saphan Kwai station Skytrain, Suthisan station MRT by motorbike).......

I recommend this place, I stay there every time I am in Bangkok, it's inexpensive, clean and friendly. Also has a small swimming pool and gym.

Mac

You are right, when you take a look at their site you will see the whole list of facilities available and photos of the place. It really is a great place, very clean, cheap, at a very good location between Saphan Kwai and Chatuchak market, and near shopping malls. Unfortunately, I just found them end of last year for the first time :o

Henri

Wow, we have some great suggestions here - plenty of fellow budget-watchers on board I see

I can suggest Business Inn in soi 11a sukummvit (this is the OLD business inn NOT the new one in soi 11 - which is double the price). This is quiet but a VERY central location close to Nana BTS. Rooms are small and very basic but no cockies, and the air con and hot water works. Price around 750baht but book ahead as often full.

Wow, we have some great suggestions here - plenty of fellow budget-watchers on board I see

I can suggest Business Inn in soi 11a sukummvit (this is the OLD business inn NOT the new one in soi 11 - which is double the price). This is quiet but a VERY central location close to Nana BTS. Rooms are small and very basic but no cockies, and the air con and hot water works. Price around 750baht but book ahead as often full.

I have called many of these places as I need a place for two weeks near the BTS but all so far have had shared washroom showers although the prices are very good. Does anyone know of an apartment or hotel with private facilities and internet for around 1000 baht?

I have called many of these places as I need a place for two weeks near the BTS but all so far have had shared washroom showers although the prices are very good. Does anyone know of an apartment or hotel with private facilities and internet for around 1000 baht?

hello tampasailor

I am sure you did not call Siam Palace, Pradipat hotel, Liberty hotel and Wattana Mansion. I have stayed in all these hotels since 2003. They have clean and big rooms. You have your own bathroom with toilet, bath tube, shower, hot and cold water, airco, minibar, telephone, TV, 24 hours roomservice, sofa and a table.

But why you need internet in your hotel? It only will rise the price of your room while there are so many real high speed internet cafes with ADSL just at the corner or within 50 meter walkingdistance from these hotels. They are much faster and cheaper than if you use the internet in the hotels if available. Besides you can take your laptop with you and connect him in an internet cafe to the internet. Prices for internet are very cheap.

Further they all are located near restaurants and shopping malls. The first three I emntioned are at Pradipat Road, this road is full of internet cafes and places where you can eat. Wattana Mansion is not far from 2 locations with large shoppping malls where you will find everything you can think of, including restaurants and internet cafes, all in walking distance if you are healthy, and a market is located at the other site when you cross the main road. Also banks and ATM's are everywhere.

When you like a luxury hotel with stars and internet in your room you can go to Elizabeth hotel or Mido hotel also at Pradipat Road near the other I mentioned, but the prices you pay there are higher and the rooms and facilities are equal to the cheaper ones I mentioned before. Near Wattana Mansion you will find also many hotels with stars and internet in your room, here too you will pay more for the same kind of room and facilities. However, you were asking for budget hotels, or not?

Bus stops, BTS and/or MRT, are also in a small walking distance from the mentioned hotels. Taxis and motobikes are waiting outside the hotels if you do not like to walk.....so what you like more :o

Henri

I always use the old Bangkok Inn. Suk 11/1. Their number is 022 557155.

800 BT for a double with air/UBC/fridge.

Edited by Geekfreaklover

<<But why you need internet in your hotel? It only will rise the price of your room while there are so many real high speed internet cafes with ADSL just at the corner or within 50 meter walkingdistance from these hotels. They are much faster and cheaper than if you use the internet in the hotels if available. Besides you can take your laptop with you and connect him in an internet cafe to the internet. Prices for internet are very cheap.>>

Henri thanks for your response. I still have to continue my statside business while I am here and that means being on email and skype voice through the evenings as there is a 12 hour difference. I have been using my gf's air card a bit but find it akward going on skype voice from a coffee shop and making a business call. I have an apartment at 450b a day now with good net LAN but I am two hours from downtown where my gf works and poor gal is 4 hours enroute each day, motorbike taxi, taxi, mini bus, bts. I found some apartments but they want 6 months lease. I took some photos to show those who are interested.. very nice at 18-24,000 per month furnished with good parking and security. This link will show 3 different apartments but will an idea of what these are like. The lease is too long for me :-( http://picasaweb.google.com/lymanduggan/BK...ey=YzGyNchCp7Y#

Some good information here and I have bookmarked it for reference but can I raise one issue.

I am often asked about accommodation in Pattaya and comes to the fore is the unseen cost of taxis and transport incurred by staying in a cheap place which is out of the way.

One place mentioned above (could have been more but interesting nevertheless) was quoted as being BT100 on a motorbike from the BTS. Doing that there and back twice a day would run Bt400 a day and largely knock back the savings I would have thought.

I just urge people to think about what they will actually do each day and how they will do it as time is money as well and even using the BTS in Bangkok takes loads of time.

I am often asked about accommodation in Pattaya and comes to the fore is the unseen cost of taxis and transport incurred by staying in a cheap place which is out of the way.

One place mentioned above (could have been more but interesting nevertheless) was quoted as being BT100 on a motorbike from the BTS. Doing that there and back twice a day would run Bt400 a day and largely knock back the savings I would have thought.

I just urge people to think about what they will actually do each day and how they will do it as time is money as well and even using the BTS in Bangkok takes loads of time.

torrenova

I agree with you about the fact that if you stay far away from BTS, MRT or busses you will save more money when you stay in a more expensive place near the BTS and/or MRT. However, the OP asked for hotels/guesthouses at a walking distance from BTS or MRT and that is what I did. I know all the places I mentioned and they are a small walking distance from BTS and/or MRT.

But when you have to pay BT 100 from a BTS station to your hotel then you really stay at the other side. Two weeks ago I took a taxi from Khoasan Road to Saphan Khwai, a 30 minutes ride which costed me BT 100 !!

I disagree that the use of BTS or MRT takes you loads of time. You have no traffic jams and the interval between two trains is very short. I can't imagine that a taxi is faster than the BTS or MRT, maybe at night but definitely not at day time.

I disagree that the use of BTS or MRT takes you loads of time. You have no traffic jams and the interval between two trains is very short. I can't imagine that a taxi is faster than the BTS or MRT, maybe at night but definitely not at day time.

I totally understand why you disagree. When I lived in London, I lived in Pimlico, Kensington and Angel whilst working in the City (Liverpool Street). People also thought the tube quick and certainly quicker than buses, cars or walking ! However, they never really realised the total "your house to your office" travelling time.

I convinced one guy to spend more than he wanted on an apartment in Angel versus a cheaper, bigger and nay say better apartment in another part of London. He was a contractor and paid hourly. So instead of a 60 to 90 minute commute both ways, he then had a 15 to 30 minute commute. The result was that either he had much more free time outside of work or he could stay at work and chalk up loads of cash during the time he would be previously commuting.

Now, if time has no value, as it does for some and for most Thais, then fine. For others, get where you want to be ASAP is the motto.

The Malaysia Hotel, 54 Soi Ngam Duplee, Sathorn (telephone 02-679-7127) has very clean, air-conditioned rooms with a private 4 pc. bathroom at about 800 baht per night for rooms not facing the swimming pool. Their website is: www.malaysiahotelbkk.com The rooms have a queen bed and a single bed in them. The place is nothing fancy, but clean and safe.

Although the rooms in the hotel are worn, it is very good value, and about two or three blocks from the BTS.

An excellent thread, and just what I needed. Will bookmark this for future reference. Thanks all!

If someone knows of budget hotels that let you readily access the airport, that would be great too. I often end up returning to the LOS at night and having to catch an early morning flight to CMai; the 7-8 hrs leaves little time to taxi into Bkk grab some sleep and a shower and then taxi back in time. Cheers. :o

You might like to try (or check out) Pranee Building which is on Rama 1 - diagonally opposite MBK and right by the skytrain.(10meters away). The entrance is actually around the corner, and a couple of doors down, in Soi Kasem (same soi as Wendy House.) I had a scruffy, but adequate room with bathroom - and a view of someones back wall- for just 500BHT. There is internet and next door on Rama 1 is a very modern and up to date internet shop that has good printers and technically very aware staff. The bottom and front of the guesthouse is a very good (always busy) Thai style restaurant - I loved it but I never saw any other Farangs in it. Security is good 24hr. Staff very friendly. Another bonus is that at the bottom of the soi (3min walk) you can catch the Khlong - SamSaeb boats - which I found great to get to the other side of town.

ph 02 2163181

email [email protected]

As I say, rooms are scruffy but cheap and position is great - they get very busy so book ahead.

• 2 years later...

The Malaysia Hotel, 54 Soi Ngam Duplee, Sathorn (telephone 02-679-7127) has very clean, air-conditioned rooms with a private 4 pc. bathroom at about 800 baht per night for rooms not facing the swimming pool. Their website is: www.malaysiahotelbkk.com The rooms have a queen bed and a single bed in them. The place is nothing fancy, but clean and safe.

Although the rooms in the hotel are worn, it is very good value, and about two or three blocks from the BTS.

Crikey, is that place still going!?!? That was the first hotel I stayed in when I arrived in BKK early 1971! It was $1 a night then. The aircon did for me, though. They kept it at about 20C, and it was 40C outside - I got a bronchial infection, so moved to a little Chinese hotel near Hualamphong station (if I remember, it was called Hualamphong Hotel) with overhead fans. Cheap, cheerful and much better for my health. (Apart from the lovely young lady who infected me with "Vietnam Rose"...Ah well, can't get everything right...:whistling:)

My favourite budget hotel is the Krung Kasem, just over the khlong (a minute walk) from Hualamphong station and MRT. Cheap, clean, all en suite and a great little cafe/restaurant downstairs. Close to Yaowarat, too.

• 4 weeks later...

A few on Suk soi 11/1 for about 800bt for a double. Not fancy! But a/c, hot water, fridge and cable tv. Few hundred yards to nana bts.

Business inn and president inn.

Got a good one in Ratchada but I'm keeping that to myself. Don't want it being booked up or the price rising!