Planning A New Life In Thailand

Steps

This post is intended for the wise men and women on here who have been and done this situation before. It is intended to accumulate as much sound advice and experience as possible so as to eliviate any anxieties that might be present. It is not intended for the ten a penny people who like to throw there garbage in the mix.

I am a young thirty year old man who has been back from Thailand now for the past 8 months. My previous and only visit lasted 2 years and in that time i had a child to a woman who i met 3 months into my adventure (He was 3 months old when i left). I am fully aware of all the stories about the women and therefore undestand the complexities that can occur in Thai/Falang relationships. I have been in contact with the mother every day and have been suporting her so she could return to her home town to be with and take care of our child.

I returned home for many reasons, but most of all to know that this is the right thing for me and the dirrection my life will take. I have a good familly here at home who i will leave and that is proberbly the biggest thing. However, everything else is same old same old (UK).

There are many questions and concerns about starting a new life in Thailand and no doubt will be answered and solved as i go on. However, i would be glad to hear from many of you Thai Visa Expats and your experiences through the jorney that has been your life on the move to and in Thailand so far. Is there anything you wish you would or wouldnt have done? Is there anything you wish you could or should have done? Do you have regrets? Does Thailand satisfy you? Is your lifestyle better or worse? Did you plan or could you have done more?

Every jorney starts with the first step so the say. Sometimes you know where your going to, sometimes you dont. I dont quite know where this will lead me to but im ready for a new life and Thailand is where i'm headin.

Steps,

I cant comment on Thailand as i live in Vietnam,but i suspect,i know roughly what is going on your head in regards to the UK,as i have recently moved lock stock and barrel over here.I too was totally dis-satisfied with my old life in the UK,you know,to me,there just was no stimulous any longer to stay and i seriously lacked motivation and ambition to remain.What i would say to you as we are similar in age(well im 38 a tad older :D )is the old adage follow your heart,sometimes,it knows more than your head.Life is what you make it,you create your own luck,and if you are serious(as i suspect you are),just do it.Sure there will be problems along the way,but if you have drive and resiliance,you will cope with these.

Practically,if at all poss,dont burn your bridges back home(as i have,but financially i had too)and try to keep a house/flat there.Dont close your bank accounts and if you are still in employment leave with a good relationship as you never know things mat not work out,but digressing,as i said if you have enough motivation hopefully you can negate this possability.

Anyhow,i shall leave it now to the Thai heads to advise you,but,good luck mucker,i hope things work out for you :o

Dont burn your bridges in the UK and on a practical note...if moving to Thailand, how do you intend to support yourself/child/GF?.....Bl**dy hope your not going to become an English teacher.. :o

This is a major move you are talking about, you should be weighing up the practical pro's and cons for yourself and getting plans into place, dont get caught up in some dippy hippy, rose tinted glasses idealist bullsh*t thinking about Thailand.....Thailand is great if you have money, not so great if ya dont

"However, everything else is same old same old (UK)"........and after spending 12 months in Thailand you will be saying the same thing about Thailand

before you move here you have to sort out an employer which will give you a visa at this same time.

another option is opening your own business - but in a present economical situation it's a little risky.

before you move here you have to sort out an employer which will give you a visa at this same time.

another option is opening your own business - but in a present economical situation it's a little risky.

A beer bar is a very sucessful business model in Thailand, never fails... :o

To the OP. Don't stop your NI contributions.

Yeah, I think there are a number of people who would beg to differ on that one. It's like flushing money down the drain.

In respect of making the move, I'd say go for it, I moved at the age of 32 and although at times I've though I would have done a few things differently, I'm happy with my lot and have little regret. As a few people have said, don't burn your bridges, make sure you have an exit route if things don't work out.

Couple of things to advise, get decent medical cover, also stay registered with your local GP, and think about your career plan. What are you going to do? How will you be able to support yourself when you are older? Things like that are often missed in the eXcitement of starting a new life in a country like Thailand, one thing for sure it isn't all sweetness in Thailand, but then you hav had 2 years here so should have a good idea.

Anyway, I say good luck to you.

As a previous poster said, Timing is everything.

I moved here a year and a half ago. I sold my flat and invested everything in a business. Had I waited a year the equity in my flat would have disappeared and I would be back in Perfidious Albion kicking myself for my lack of guts. As it is I have a successful money making business and a good life.

It takes a bit of courage to do it but it can work out well. So take into account the timing but be mindful of the fact that no-one is promised tomorrow. Carpe Diem

And good luck with your great adventure.

Its what you make out of it. I see lots of simple minded expats here working hard in a job they don't like, just to have a so so life and no real career. You can live a great life here if you don't have to consider every baht you spend.

A beer bar is a very sucessful business model in Thailand, never fails... :o

now now southpeel!

You are a Young man As a employee Max earning potential in the UK at your age

IF You get a job it wont pay much with Min Qualifications

Life Here is OK for Retired People with A good Pension. Do not forget Medical cover is not Free here

I know you pay for it in the UK thro NI Contributions, But not if you are on a low wage or unemployed.

I am 68 worked in the UK for 49 years. Fully payed up member of the club and so Glad.

On top of that you are only a guest in Thailand. Things change almost every week Visa wise

Ok Give it a try but keep your house in the UK if you have one

Do NOT put your life savings into anything here untill you are100 % Sure And as Farang you will never be sure

what the Thai Gov will do next

Why dont you get married to your GF and go back to the UK ?

I moved here in my 30's and honestly it was a big mistake. I make a good living working offshore so money isn't the problem. The problem as I see it is that you loose your network of friends back home and the chance for your children to grow up with a decent education and opportunities.

Unless you have plenty of money to open up a large business that can generate enough income for private schools for your children plus something for your retirement you should consider moving your family to the UK. Keep in mind opening a business anywhere in the world is risky but in country's like Thailand with corrupt officials the risks extends beyond your control. Also it is not uncommon in developing nation to see assassinations of business competitors.

If you plan on opening a business in the future you will have a better chance in your home country as you know the market and will have friends and family to turn to for advice and help.

Another thing to consider is your home, investing in a home here isn't the same as the west as the value doesn't increase much if any and selling them is very hard especially if your not in an area with expats. Keep in mind Thais will not appreciate the money you spend on proper wiring, plumbing a nice kitchen etc they want it cheap. Many Thais will not buy second hand homes as they don't gain face that's why you see thousands of second hand homes on the market and no one buying them. So should you want to move liquidating the equity in your home will not be easy if not impossible in some areas.

Basically if the relationship fails or you want to move back to the UK in the future you will be going almost empty handed and will have to start again building friendships and networks. If I knew 8 years ago what I know now I would have moved my wife to Canada and only visited Thailand for holidays.

Try and move to Bangkok, if you have a kid, and no way of making money, bangkok would be the easiest place to find work.

Or you can be a teacher if you have a degree (you can easily live off the income here - my 3 bedroom house, detached, 2 bathroom, large lounge, garden etc) sets me back 7,000 a month inc bills.

If you didnt have a kid, id say chance it and start a business, but if like me, you hate risk, start small and see how it goes. Hang around with purchases until mid 2009, i suspect many business will be going cheap, you can spot gaps in the market. Just dont go into the pimp biz please!

The odds are against you here without large savings or command of Thai language. But... you are from the UK, as am I.... Oz is the promised land, get yourself out of that police state hel_l hole England, over to this police state paradise! Then onto Oz. Taking a Thai woman to the UK is just inhumane!

best of luck to you.

oh...

and trust no-one in business here, esp farang. Its a farang eat farang world here. :o

Edited by whiterussian

You are young and thinking about your future - that's good.

You are a father and so now you have responsibilities for your child.

In my opinion the best thing you can do for that child is make sure he gets a British passport - ideally dual nationality.

As already said - life in Thailand is not easy without an income - you don't mention if you are wealthy or not.

Depending on your occupation, a few years hard work and you will be in a better position to start a new life in Thailand.

I semi retired at age 42, 6 months Thailand 6 months working UK. Fully retired at 47. If I had worked 12 months per year and then retired at 47 I would be so much better off now and you never know what is around the corner.

My income has been eroded by the strength of the Baht vs Pound and who knows how much worse it can get? I have property in UK, but that appears to be devalueing fast. Okay, if I sold up, I would still have enough to live out my life so I have no real worries.

If I had thought about it at the time, I would have worked hard for a few more years and built up some more capital.

Saying that, I have no real regrets.

I wish you the best of luck, whatever you decide.

You are a Young man As a employee Max earning potential in the UK at your age

IF You get a job it wont pay much with Min Qualifications

Life Here is OK for Retired People with A good Pension. Do not forget Medical cover is not Free here

I know you pay for it in the UK thro NI Contributions, But not if you are on a low wage or unemployed.

I am 68 worked in the UK for 49 years. Fully payed up member of the club and so Glad.

On top of that you are only a guest in Thailand. Things change almost every week Visa wise

Ok Give it a try but keep your house in the UK if you have one

Do NOT put your life savings into anything here untill you are100 % Sure And as Farang you will never be sure

what the Thai Gov will do next

Why dont you get married to your GF and go back to the UK ?

Correct, I'm 60 and will move next April. I married 32 years with a Thai lady so I can have an marriage Visa and I have an sufficient pension even when the EURO is only 40 Baht. I also deduct an sufficient health insurance from my income because good healthcare is very expensive in Thailand.. I had a house in Thailand and sold it(for the obvious reasons). Now I will rent an comfortable European style apartment. I keep my finances in my home country and will only transfer money when the Baht is low.

To the OP

Moving to Thailand at an younger age and have no sufficient income from back home is a huge risk.

Besides the temporary expats who where send by an international company I don't see many foreigners who have a blooming career or business over here. Especially foreigners making a legitimate business are at risk because the Thai or Chinese will not allow you to be too successful. I had a few friends who tried and they all came back with empty pockets.

Just take a look at the Visa section and see how many foreigners have to make border runs to keep on staying here. If a 15 day border run, bury yourself in some remote Isan village or be part of the scams of the Pattaya expat scene is your ultimate dream feel free to do so.

Sorry I'm blunt about, but I saw too many failures in the last 30 years that I visited the country,and people came back home penny less.

I'd agree with most (?) of the posts above.

I had a good job in the UK, but left to move here 6 years ago (32), on a bit of a whim, & I wish I hadn't.

1) Try to get the kid out of here, or a British passport at least, if possible. Probably easier said than done. There is no way I'd have a kid here (many will disagree), as I see huge advantages to being brought up in the UK; passport (freedom of movement) and education are two of the biggies, obviously, but there are many many more (in my opinion - safety for example, rule of law, etc).

2) Make as much money, for as long as you can, in the UK, it may seem gloomy there, but it's a great place to earn money. Build up your options for a brighter future.

Thailand is a nice place for a holiday, but it becomes as much of a rigmarole as any other place when you're working and bringing up a family, on a low salary with decreasing options, day by day, not a positive future at all.

To come here in your current situation and become a teacher for 40k per month (if you're lucky) would be a really poor move. If you come on a long term expat contract with a western company then it's well worth thinking about (nigh on impossible to find though).

Whatever you choose; good luck.

Right OK, sorry for the delayed response. Some real good posts here and things to think about. In all honesty, i have thought hard and deep (into the nights) about the majority of issues brought up here.

I am planning on comming over on an education visa to study Thai language which i plan to do for about 3 years. This is something i want to imerse myself in (read, write, speak). Whilst in the process of studying, i plan to set my own business up which has little cost to do and which i have the capital for. I think this will take about 2 months to do and in all honesty, i am quite lucky to be able to do what i enjoy no matter where i would choose to go. I have a degree and numerous qualifications with regards to my field of work. Teaching is something that at least i can fall back on if i run into difficult times. However, i am quite confident i will be able to at the very least sustain the trio. Futhermore, i am aware of other ways to make money with regards to the internet which will also assist in filling the bread bin (every Bat counts). I also have a place in the UK which i plan to keep that generates a monthly income from rent.

I have been thinking about getting a morgage in my girlfriends name and buying a place in Bangkok. Obviously i will have to rent for a while but the latter is definately an option and something i would consider (if anybody has any experience or info with regards to this matter then please share). Putting my child through school over there is an issue that will need resolving when the time arises. I know there are supose to be decent bi-lingual schools that cost 80-100k per term x 2 per year. Therefore, this money will need to be generated. I will be applying for a british passport for my child upon returning and will retain dual nationality.

With regards to keeping up the NI contributions, this is something well worth considering. I think you need to have contributed for 30 years in order to be entitled for the state pension. On my return to the UK i had a letter off the inland revenue informing me that i had missed x amount of months contributions and if i wanted to pay the lump sum i could do so (stating the mentioned reasons and benefits and that this was optional).

Health insurance is something that i have to look into but keen to get. I know how dangerous Thailand can be at times and you never know what might happen. Any figures and rough estimates would be appreciated.

Another thing to consider is how to get my belongings over here. I dont have a great deal so proberbly a few boxes (4-6) delivered via parcel force or something might be the way to go. This will roughly come to a few hundred pounds im guessing and so not sure if maybe a container would be more viable.

Cheers for all the posts thus far. More experiences and summaries of the way peoples lives are going are welcomed

Whilst in the process of studying, i plan to set my own business up which has little cost to do and which i have the capital for. I think this will take about 2 months to do

You might consider telling us what type of business you have in mind. The reactions that you will unquestionably get, might contain some valuable snippets of information.

With regards to keeping up the NI contributions, this is something well worth considering. I think you need to have contributed for 30 years in order to be entitled for the state pension.

You will receive a pension from each EU country where you have worked for at least one year.

With regards to keeping up the NI contributions, this is something well worth considering. I think you need to have contributed for 30 years in order to be entitled for the state pension.

You will receive a pension from each EU country where you have worked for at least one year.

Well that's interesting and something that will need looking into. I could have sworn this letter i recieved stated you have to contribute for 30 years to recieve the state pension.

Well that's interesting and something that will need looking into. I could have sworn this letter i recieved stated you have to contribute for 30 years to recieve the state pension.

on second thoughts, that can't be right. Your telling me if i worked a year each in three different EU countries i would recieve 3 pensions

It will be proportionate to the number of years you worked. It's a European directive, or whatever they call it. I only worked and contributed 13 years in the Uk. Have to collect 3 different pensions :o

Will try to find a link for you.

STEPS

you are right,i think it came into force last year and as i retired at 50 and worked from 15,that makes me qualify for a full pension without paying back ni contributions.

going back to the op,at your age i was very hungry to work,save and raise a family and up to 48 would have never contemplated to move abroad.now i have done it 5 years ago it was the best move i have ever made.i sold my house at the right time,bought here at the right time,and converted gbp to thai baht at the right time,just hope my luck holds out.

good luck in whatever you decide,as your life with your kid is the most important thing to think about.you are coming here for the right reasons mate.

Will I receive a pension from each country?

Yes, you will receive a pension from each EEA or agreement country where you have made insurance contributions, if you have at least the minimum amount of insurance contributions required in each country to qualify.

Each EEA country adds together your insurance contributions from all EEA countries, they then see how much state pension (if any) you would get if your insurance contributions had all been paid into that country's own social security scheme.

However, each country pays you part of your pension. How much that country pays you depends on how much you have paid into its scheme.

Find out more about EEA or agreement countries