(likely) A Basic Visa Question

I am an American, 24 years old, planning to visit Thailand from Febuary 25th to March 24 as a tourist. I land in Phucket and will also see Bangkok and probably two other cities. I exit from Bangkok.

Do I need to get a visa before arrival? or fill out a visa form and pay on arrival? Or is it a free visa? Do I need to provide bank statements or a Thai address or American address? Do I need to show return tickets or onward tickets?

USA State department info seems straightfoward, and I am fine according to what they say. But the Thai Washington DC embassy page confuses me and makes me think I need to fill out a form and pay. Do I need to do this prior to arrival for the visa? I printed the form that is under "tourist visa" on the Washington DC embassy page. If you want to take a look at the page and confirm what I am thinking. But I don't know why US Stae department visa section wouldn't mention this.

Or should I relax, knowing I have nothing to plan for?

Thanks for the help.

I am an American, 24 years old, planning to visit Thailand from Febuary 25th to March 24 as a tourist. I land in Phucket and will also see Bangkok and probably two other cities. I exit from Bangkok.

Do I need to get a visa before arrival? or fill out a visa form and pay on arrival? Or is it a free visa? Do I need to provide bank statements or a Thai address or American address? Do I need to show return tickets or onward tickets?

USA State department info seems straightfoward, and I am fine according to what they say. But the Thai Washington DC embassy page confuses me and makes me think I need to fill out a form and pay. Do I need to do this prior to arrival for the visa? I printed the form that is under "tourist visa" on the Washington DC embassy page. If you want to take a look at the page and confirm what I am thinking. But I don't know why US Stae department visa section wouldn't mention this.

Or should I relax, knowing I have nothing to plan for?

Thanks for the help.

You do not need a visa. You will get a visa exempt entry under the visa waiver rules. You will get thirty days.

Before arriving you will out a TM6 arrival card that has a line for an address in Thailand and that can just be the name of hotel. They will hand out the form on the flight before you arrive.

Nothing else is needed when you arrive.

You don't need a visa if you stick with those dates. You are allowed a 30 day "visa exempt entry". They usually give an immigration form on the aircraft before landing, if not, you can get one at the airport before going through immigration. It will ask basic questions and ask for an address in Thailand. Just enter the hotel information for where you will be staying. They keep the arrival part, and staple the departure portion in your passport, and will stamp an "admitted until" date. Not likely to ask about money or onward tickets, but it is possible. It's easy, have fun and enjoy.

Sorry Ubonjoe, didn't see that you were replying already.

Edited by beechguy

If you have no hotel reservation, tt would be best to select a hotel from a list of your possible hotels and write that on the form. Doing otherwise would be unwise.

Okay so simply writing down a hotel name is all it takes?

They just want to see a hotel name than, even Without a reservation is what I seem to be reading.

I will likely make use of hosipitality clubs so perhaps I may have an address even.

And simply having an on ward ticket out of the country is grand? i will spend time in Laos, Cambodia, malaysia, maybe even Vietnam so I have no clue when I would return home from asia or even from where. If each country is one month it could be five months, or more, if I revisit a place a really love, 6 or 7 months in SEA so I can not plan that far or realistically have a return. I know I am not the only one who doesnkind of travel this and they must see it all the time. By the time i set off for Thailand in late Febuary I will have an onward to Malaysia (already do) and likely an onward to Loas. Folks have told me that is all you need.

Those are all the questions I have

Thanks.

I don't think they have "hostels or hospitality clubs" in Thailand, or if they do you would not want to stay there.

Hotels start from $10 a night, cheaper out in the sticks.

I suggest you research a little more before you set off.

There are indeed hospitality clubs in Thailand. Members are worldwide!

For instance

Couchsurfing .com

Hospitality Club .com

I am members of both websites and they have been great in travels thus far and I also host all the time. I would trust them 99 percent in USA, France, Thailand or anywhere really.

Hospitality clubs are not a problem. So I may be able to use an address for that.

10 dollars hostels when needed are no prob either if HC does not come through.

So are onward tickets fine enough?

In my limited experience they are. But that is limited and only twice so far.

If I don't have a host from CSing or HC, is a hotel name without reservation fine enough? A hostel booked for one night?

I have done research

You tell me to do research but that is why I am here!! :o

Thanks for continuing to address my questions and asking others in return

As long as you have onward tickets it is not a problem. It is more a problem with the airlines not a letting you on the plane if you don't. Immigration normally never asks to see tickets.

As long as you enter the country at airports you will get 30 days each entry. If you enter by land at a border crossing you will only only get 15 days.

You should have no problem with using hostels at other countries. Remember some require you to get a visa before arriving. You will find that many also ask for a hotel name or address when entering the country or applying for a visa on arrival. You could check the Southeast Asia forum for info and others experiences.

We are here to help with Thai visa and entry issues more so than hotels and etc.

But will offer suggestions at times.

Enjoy you trip.