Full Scan

Jumbo chilli

Hi guys,

I guess I'm having a problem or at least missing something with "kaspersky" anti-virus prog.

Because of some reasons, I decided switch to "kaspersky" from "eset smart security".

I installed it and ran a full scan, expecting it'd take couple hours, but I was very wrong. :D

6 holly hours later it was still on 99% of progress! :o

So, my question is, is it normal for "kaspersky" or am I doing anything wrong? :D

Thanks in advance.

ps: Happy new year! :D :D :wai:

Hi guys,

I guess I'm having a problem or at least missing something with "kaspersky" anti-virus prog.

Because of some reasons, I decided switch to "kaspersky" from "eset smart security".

I installed it and ran a full scan, expecting it'd take couple hours, but I was very wrong. :D

So, my question is, is it normal for "kaspersky" or am I doing anything wrong? :D

Thanks in advance.

ps: Happy new year! :D:D:wai:

Sawasdee from the lower north east. Nobody of us would do anything which is illegal, right? Download via Limewire the prof. version of AVG. If you get the right version you wont get a better protection. And legal. ( Good for 10 years.)

Thanks guys, :D

Right after posting, I tried full scan again and got exactly the same result. :o

The computer had been turned on for more than 4 hours and progress indicator on kaspersky was showing "99% scanned". :D

It stayed like that until I sopped it manually an hour later.

By time I turned it off, it was scanning "win rar" files that I downloaded.

May be I should consider getting "AVG" or "AVAST".

Thanks again guys. :D

Take a look at Norton Internet Security 2009. Norton finally got away from the bloated versions. It is light and fast and best of all you can use it out of the box without tweaking. They license three computers so that makes it a bargain compared to some others.

The only reason why I decided to try "kaspersky" was because it carries pretty good reviews. :D

Before uninstalling "eset smart security" I had my computer fully scanned and "eset" found nothing.

After installing this what I would call trouble making "kaspersky" I also ran full scan-which resulted 6 hours unfinished scan-, about 10 minutes after full scan

started, three were 4 trojans and few other threats were detected.

Now, I think it's the time to move on. :o

Adios " kaspersky"

So, what you experts out there would recommend?

I use "avast!" free version, but I also do a Kaspersky online scan - which takes a few hours - if I discover a problem has been reported by "avast!" or any other anti-malware product that I run.

I think Kaspersky finds more viruses than most, but there is no free version - hence the online scan when appropriate.

The online scanner shows which file is being scanned - maybe you could give it a try to find out why it is taking so long.

http://www.kaspersky.co.uk/virusscanner

I use "avast!" free version, but I also do a Kaspersky online scan - which takes a few hours - if I discover a problem has been reported by "avast!" or any other anti-malware product that I run.

I think Kaspersky finds more viruses than most, but there is no free version - hence the online scan when appropriate.

The online scanner shows which file is being scanned - maybe you could give it a try to find out why it is taking so long.

http://www.kaspersky.co.uk/virusscanner

Thanks JetsetBkk,

Yeah, I wonder if it's just normal for "kaspersky" to do a full scan which takes many hours.

Last night I did- say one last time- full scan before ditching it and I got the same result, but according to my observation, scanning went fine until it start

scanning "win rar" files.( I have about 6 GB of them ).

I could see the speed of scan slowing down. :o

Besides, I went through some "antivirus" review website and most of them give "kasperky" thumb's up,why?

Well, I'm no expert, I just follow what most other people do.

Thanks again. :D

...scanning went fine until it start scanning "win rar" files.( I have about 6 GB of them ).

I could see the speed of scan slowing down. :o

Besides, I went through some "antivirus" review website and most of them give "kasperky" thumb's up,why?

Well, I'm no expert, I just follow what most other people do.

Thanks again. :D

Ah - I would rarely scan Rar or Zip files, especially if they are huge. I would let the "on-access" scanner of my normal anti-virus s/w ("avast!") deal with them as and when I actually opened them.

If I get a warning when extracting stuff from Rars or Zips, I may do an online scan after deleting the offending file, just to be sure. But even then, I usually scan only the 'Program Files' and Windows directories with the online scanner, so that's only about 5 GB each. It still takes an hour or two for each.

I don't think there's any point in scanning Rars or Zips if they are just sitting on a hard drive with no program accessing them. I have about 25 GB of compressed "utilities" on a hard drive and did scan them once - it took quite a while, but Kaspersky didn't "freeze".

Yes, Kaspersky is one of the best. Maybe because he's in Russia - lots of bad guys there writing viruses to order! :D

You can also do a online scan here: trendmicro

I just tried that one. It was very quick - about 30 minutes in total for both Program Files and Windows - so about 6 times quicker, and has a nice user interface.

However, it didn't report the files that Kaspersky always reports. This may be because it's cleverer than Kaspersky or maybe because it's not so clever :o . The files that Kaspersky always reports are from SysInternals (reported as "not-a-virus:RiskTool.Win32.PsKill.k") and a program called cmdow.exe (reported as "not-a-virus:RiskTool.Win32.HideWindows") which can be used to manipulate other programs' windows. So maybe the TrendMicro scanner knows they are not real viruses and doesn't report them.

Unfortunately I don't have any real viruses on my system to test the two online scanners.

Hi guys,

Thanks in advance.

ps: Happy new year! :D:D:wai:

Sawasdee from the lower north east. Nobody of us would do anything which is illegal, right? Download via Limewire the prof. version of AVG. If you get the right version you wont get a better protection. And legal. ( Good for 10 years.)

You better have a good anti virus to start with before you download from Limewire. MANY of the downloads are infected with trojans.

dont use kapersky, they bloat you comp with to many additional start-up, eat alot of your memory also. they did get a good review from comp magazine, but i recommend nod32, no problem and they update their virus signature every day.

terndmicro is useless------> i still remember the event happen in 2006, when accidently trend micro launch an update that crash all the computer with tend micro installed, :o:D