Habanero & Other Seeds

soidog2

Hello stevehaigh, #5036 Solar Fire gave better performance than Solar Set and is VFFF. Most of the 'Heat Set' tomatoes are from school breeding programs at FL or NC, BHN a private co in FL also has BHN-189, a top H-S, they are a top breeder in cherries(US$ 200.00 for 1000 seed) and plum/paste.

I've grow the Solar Fire for 3 years now and am happy the way it grows. If you have looked at the hydro threads, or the tomato threads, I had pictures of the SF and others. Florida 91's, Sun Master, Homestead 24F, Creole, Porter's Pride, Kewalo(U of HI, Sun Leaper, Soiux and Super Soiux, Tropic have all been the best of what I've tried. I have grown up to 350gr, an O-P beefstake and that was 200gr bigger than any other fruit on the plant, with lettuce nutes.

I just transplanted Shady Lady and Black Cherry and repotted a 3 seasond old Jam Hot Chocolate and need to replace sun damaged grow bags for 100 ancho chili plants for their second cycle. I will have 2 double rows of 120 plants each(480), and 5 double rows in 6 months,(after most of the rainy season) just like the big boys do it, but without the greenhouse.

thanks for the info on Solar Fire. i actually found a supplier on ebay "merlesgardencenter1", that will ship here directly and cheaply so I bought some Solar Fire seeds from them.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello soidog2, I also have dropped a few $'s at TGS, she run's a good business and for small scale growers has a nice selection. I tried all the fancy SUPER HOT ones, but I only grow the Jam. Hot Chock still, it the flavor and nice heat! This one can get oil all over where you may touch, and soon will know it. I have some Naga's from the NuMex Chili Pepper Inst. that are a lot hotter, but no problems from bare hand harvesting.(still, no tuchie the eyes)

TGS's Black, Black Cherry, Black Krim have all grown good here. I'm going to try Southern Night(Det.) to see how they do, forgot, the Congo Trinidad grew very good like the Hot Choc. did.

Johnney's has a good herb/basil list: http://www.johnnyseeds.com/

While googling for some pepper nutrient info, I ran across a site that has some info on the hot ones, has some good pictures of chilies, but pictures over the growing season with brown habanero's.(hydroponics)

http://www.refiningfirechiles.com/our_chiles.html

rice555

Hi rice 555

I placed an order ($50) with Tomato Growers Supply and didn't get a reply for 2 weeks. Then on the 13th Linda? @ TGS said the order would be sent on Monday (16th???) but she gave me no other info as to carrier, tracking#, final VISA card charge, etc. I haven't received anything yet and they won't reply to the 3 emails I've sent...

Just how long did it take for your order to arrive??? I'm NOT a happy camper with TGS right now...

Edited by cloghead

I reckon some 50% shade netting would do the trick. have a couple of hundred of seed of each variety and am happy to post them to you or anyone else gratis as long as you let us know how you get on !!

cheers Jandtaa 

i'm planning to visit bangsai agro center http://en.bangsaiagro.com/ and get a starter hydroponic kit in a couple of days. i'm going to try a few lettuce, sweet pepper, hot pepper and tomato plans to see what happens. if i have any success, i have access to 1/2 rai of land where i can set up a small hydroponic farm. there is a good market for 'farang' veggies on Ko Phangan so i think i could easily sell anything i don't eat easily.

jandtaa, thanks for the offer and i'd be happy to take you up on it when i buy my hydroponic kit. i'll post more about it next week.

thx steve

If you're successful on the hot peppers, PM.

Wanna buy.

I'm currently growing 25 varieties of chili's including habeneros, jalapenos, scotch bonnets, bhut jolokia, anahiem, cayenne, paper lantern, and various ornementals. The only ones that haven't germinated are the jolokias. Got all the seeds brought over from the UK. I will have seeds available for all in about 3 months.

I'm currently growing 25 varieties of chili's including habeneros, jalapenos, scotch bonnets, bhut jolokia, anahiem, cayenne, paper lantern, and various ornementals. The only ones that haven't germinated are the jolokias. Got all the seeds brought over from the UK. I will have seeds available for all in about 3 months.

Interesting......you should email me Thetitan99 about this. I am growing several Mexican peppers from seeds from Mexico and USA.

I have found the entire process extremely difficult. I am growing serrano, habanero, poblano, jalapeno, manzano, anaheim.

I tried to grow chilaca, but could not get the seeds to sprout. Long story short.........most of the plants died (started during cold weather in November).

BUT, some survived. I plan on saving seeds from only those plants that look extremely healthy........the assumption being that they are better adapted to the climate here.

It looks like I will have the following seeds: jalapeno, anaheim, manzano, serrano, poblano (maybe), tomatillo and pepperoncini.

My guess is that the seeds brought over from Mexico/USA produce plants that are not well-adapted to Thailand's climate. But some will be hardier than others..........save those seeds for the second planting.

Hello cloghead, she's always been reliable on getting me my orders, but they all go to US address and are hand delivered or re-mailed with a bunch of other things I've ordered. I dropped about $40. on a TGS order last night along with Southern Exposure, they will meet up with Native Seeds,and friends from Texas, Willhite Seed are waiting in San Mateo to meet up with Levi 501's and one more order from Colorado for bulk Ancho($5.80/Oz.) for in my next Care Package, I shall be ready to plant next season as my hands are full with chili plants now.

rice555

On a side note, if you are growing a LOT of different O-P chili or pepper close together, they will cross. The NuMex Chili Pepper Inst. calls for 1/4 mile between verities for seed growers and 1/2 mile for certified seed.

JR, I will leave a trail of corn chips from Suk to T&S sat. so you can find your way!

Hello cloghead, she's always been reliable on getting me my orders, but they all go to US address and are hand delivered or re-mailed with a bunch of other things I've ordered. I dropped about $40. on a TGS order last night along with Southern Exposure, they will meet up with Native Seeds,and friends from Texas, Willhite Seed are waiting in San Mateo to meet up with Levi 501's and one more order from Colorado for bulk Ancho($5.80/Oz.) for in my next Care Package, I shall be ready to plant next season as my hands are full with chili plants now.

rice555

On a side note, if you are growing a LOT of different O-P chili or pepper close together, they will cross. The NuMex Chili Pepper Inst. calls for 1/4 mile between verities for seed growers and 1/2 mile for certified seed.

JR, I will leave a trail of corn chips from Suk to T&S sat. so you can find your way!

Thanks for the tip about cross-pollination. Just to reemphasize the point I was trying to make........I think we need to understand that the seeds that come from abroad are not meant to be grown in Southeast Asia.

All things being equal, most will likely not survive. Some, however, will. Take the seeds from the most robust plants only. Genetic variability......that is what we are dealing with.

Second generation seeds have to be taken from the first generation plants that have "adapted" to this climate. Throw the rest away......eventually a good stock of top quality seeds will be available in Thailand.....seeds that will be far more valuable than those you can buy online........those that come from abroad.

I forgot to add that I will eventually have habanero seeds to go with the jalapeno, serrano, manzano (maybe), poblano (maybe), anaheim, and tomatillo seeds.

This morning I saw several small jalapeno chiles on my plants......they are all looking a bit better, probably because of the weather........also because I finally figured out that I was giving them too much water.

For those that want to grow them, I highly recommend planting them on top of very large mounds so that water can drain off and roots can have space to grow. Also, stake them up.

Still don't know what to do about whiteflies, aphids.......I don't want to use pesticides on them........soap does not seem to work very well.

Ha ha ha........OK.........I will follow the trail of corn chips to T&S.

Has anyone grown red pepper called peter pepper? They are hot and yes resemble their name sake. I saw them in South La. years ago and they would probably make a great conservation item or more, here in Thailand.

Has anyone grown red pepper called peter pepper? They are hot and yes resemble their name sake. I saw them in South La. years ago and they would probably make a great conservation item or more, here in Thailand.

Yeah..........Peter Piper plopped a pound of perfect pickled peter peppers on my prodigious porch. :o Are you joking or is there a genuine "peter pepper?"

No joke, the Cajuns kept a few plants in their garden and used them for heating up the spicy food and more so as a conservation piece. They were about 1 to 2 inches long and had the appearance of a circumcised dick.

No joke, the Cajuns kept a few plants in their garden and used them for heating up the spicy food and more so as a conservation piece. They were about 1 to 2 inches long and had the appearance of a circumcised dick.

Ha ha ha........I thought you were joking the second time.......circumcised?

You were not joking. Went to a website and found stuff about it........Cajuns love em.

Here is what a peter pepper looks like (viewing not for youngsters or squeamish women):

post-36006-1238941032.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey, folks, I am in Hanoi and probably going to South Carolina (USA) this August, returning to Hanoi in January. I'd be happy to pick up fresh seed from Park, Burpee, Gurney, Shumway, etc., and then mail it to you from Hanoi in January. Talk to me: [email protected] (all lowercase)