Vietnamese Money.

localdan

I ended up coming back from Vietnam with 1.2 million VND (Vietnamese Dong) worth about $75 US or 2500 THB. Any ideas on how to get rid of it? I checked with many money exchanges and was told that it is not exchanged here in Thailand. One person even said it is illegal to take Dong out of Vietnam!

I ended up coming back from Vietnam with 1.2 million VND (Vietnamese Dong) worth about $75 US or 2500 THB. Any ideas on how to get rid of it? I checked with many money exchanges and was told that it is not exchanged here in Thailand. One person even said it is illegal to take Dong out of Vietnam!

There used to be a travel agent on Sukumvit say soi 9-11. Bad rates but no bank will touch it. Maybe save it till next time or find someone else going there.

Dong are indeed not freely convertible. I suggest you get on one of the travel forums (Thorntree springs to mind) and find someone coming through BKK on the way to Vietnam, as ajahnlau suggested. Do it soon as the Dong is losing value, your money is actually only about USD 70.00 at today's exchange rates :o