True Visions Blows Off Nfl Fans Again

grantbkk

From Today's The Nation Opinion Section:

An open letter from a US sports fan to True Visions

Published on January 5, 2009

Re: Scheduled National League play-off game between the San Diego Charges and Indianapolis Colts

True Visions has always broadcast the American football play-offs. You even advertised this game specifically in your True Visions Guide on page 47 of the January issue. The guide indicates you will show the wildcard play-offs on Sunday, January 4. This is the only game played when it is daylight here in Thailand on Sunday. Your incredibly lame excuse, saying you do not have a license for this game is weak and misleading. Actually some of your subscribers have the education and background allowing them to instantly recognize the fact that True Visions is less than candid with its customer base and are trying to squeeze every baht out of them showing substandard content. You seem to have plenty of licenses for 10- to 20-year-old made for television movies, passed off as feature films, from the United States and every soccer game ever played.

All is not lost as we are now watching this game through the magic of the Internet. The live stream through my computer to the television lacks the perfect picture we are used to from True Visions but it seems we have no choice. Last year we were offered many more NFL games including every play-off game. True Visions and your parent company, CP Group, report record profits on the backs of your customers. The company seems to be maneuvering to develop corporate assets offshore with money drained from the people of Thailand. Obviously you are reducing programming while charging the same or more money for service. After examining your public records, it's patently clear that you expect to maintain your monopoly in Thailand through political contributions and backdoor deals at the expense of your customer base. Shame on you, True Visions. You completely underestimate the people you purport to serve.

DAVID

BANGKOK

They always do it with the footy too.

Last month they advertised the Liverpool Arsenal and Chelsea Everton games and showed neither.

This month they have 2 different dates for the Liverpool Everton game!

And they're forever publishing at least one of their channels on HK tme and not Thai time.

The live stream through my computer to the television lacks the perfect picture we are used to from True Visions but it seems we have no choice.

Wow you must have a different cable than we have from True. I would never call what they broadcast a perfect picture. I am not sure it is even digital.

:o Toany

As a San Diego resident when I am back in the US, I was upset as well that I could not see the game. I had to watch it via my slingbox on my laptop, but with bandwidth varying between 55 kps and 200 kps (I pay for 2 mps), it has rather hard to watch.

What method did you use to stream in in?

(Great game, though!)

As a San Diego resident when I am back in the US, I was upset as well that I could not see the game. I had to watch it via my slingbox on my laptop, but with bandwidth varying between 55 kps and 200 kps (I pay for 2 mps), it has rather hard to watch.

What method did you use to stream in in?

(Great game, though!)

It was a GREAT game. I use the resource: http://www.myp2pforum.eu/other-streams/ for live NFL games. It's a peer to peer site and I was able to find a great feed. You have to test each feed available from the listed choices after the game starts to find one that will work for you.

My True Visions signal is digital cable and everyone is surprised, including me, how good the picture actually is.

It's not just NFL, the farce this weekend with the FA Cup (Football), which was shown pretty much everywhere else in Asia, was not in Thailand. Turdvisions are IMO a pile of <deleted>, promise certain sporting events, charge for it, but don't show. :o

It's not just NFL, the farce this weekend with the FA Cup (Football), which was shown pretty much everywhere else in Asia, was not in Thailand. Turdvisions are IMO a pile of <deleted>, promise certain sporting events, charge for it, but don't show. :o

Don't like to debate with fellow United fans, but where did true promise any particular WildCard game in their TV guide? Also, since last year we knew the FA Cup was not being offered on their service.

Don't like to debate with fellow United fans, but where did true promise any particular WildCard game in their TV guide? Also, since last year we knew the FA Cup was not being offered on their service.

James, when I signed up to Turd, FA games were promised. I know that things change, but it is a premier sporting event. Turd can't claim they are the 'King of Football' if they can't even show the oldest and most revered football knockout competition.

Hope you had a good New Year mate, and was a good result yesterday, which I did manage to watch through the computer.

I dont want to defend UBC but I only ever remember seeing them advertise the premier league games which to be fair to them, they make a pretty good job of week in week out.

As for the NFL I sympathise but I wonder exactly how many people actually watch it. I should think almost every sports fan in Asia watches the Premier league (and I am talking about the locals not just expats) so it amounts to millions whereas being from the UK if NFL comes on the box I switch over or switch off quick, cant stand it.

I agree if UBC say they are going to show it then they should but the point I am trying badly to make is they arent going to worry too much for such a small amount of viewers, if they have a problem showing it.

HL :o

the oldest and most revered football knockout competition.

Unless a corporate kickabout's going on in South America, eh. Go MU Rowdies!

Polecat, that's pretty lame, I'd expect a better quip than that. :o

Last month they advertised the Liverpool Arsenal and Chelsea Everton games and showed neither.

And they're forever publishing at least one of their channels on HK tme and not Thai time.

What are you talking about, they do & have showed every single Premiership Game to date if you have the Platinum Package..

I watched Arsenal V Liverpool 2 weeks ago on my Sofa, on the Chic Channel ( Fashion )i think they put it on..

Only Games they don't show are the FA Cup Games, as we've worked out this past weekend..

I dont want to defend UBC but I only ever remember seeing them advertise the premier league games which to be fair to them, they make a pretty good job of week in week out.

As for the NFL I sympathise but I wonder exactly how many people actually watch it. I should think almost every sports fan in Asia watches the Premier league (and I am talking about the locals not just expats) so it amounts to millions whereas being from the UK if NFL comes on the box I switch over or switch off quick, cant stand it.

I agree if UBC say they are going to show it then they should but the point I am trying badly to make is they arent going to worry too much for such a small amount of viewers, if they have a problem showing it.

Oh certainly more people are interested in the Premier League, and I don't begrudge that being shown at all.  But there are enough fans to show the NFL playoffs on at least one channel, just as there is room to show cricket, Aussie football, and rugby, none of which are real big here (as a former rugger, I also like to watch rugby whenever I can find it, and I have formed a liking for Aussie football.)

As I type this reply I am looking at the Jan. 09 issue of "Premier" and on page 46-47 is a double page ad showing Manchester United vs. Chelsea and on the lower right of page 47 is an ad for the American Football playoffs. Live and exclusive on 3 dates in January.

So we all know that this magazine is printed at least 2 to 3 weeks before the mailing maybe longer so if something changes in the licensing contracts there is no way they could possibly get it into the magazine. Or if they had the printer add this to the content on the assumption they already had a contract to show the games and then it fell through? I'm not defending True but sh@t happens!

Longball I dont really understand your point.....this coming sunday 11th jan they will be showing the Man U v Chelsea game so why not advertise it in the magazine. This game is a league game but the games being discussed are FA cup games which have not been promised by UBC.

As I type this reply I am looking at the Jan. 09 issue of "Premier" and on page 46-47 is a double page ad showing Manchester United vs. Chelsea and on the lower right of page 47 is an ad for the American Football playoffs. Live and exclusive on 3 dates in January.

So we all know that this magazine is printed at least 2 to 3 weeks before the mailing maybe longer so if something changes in the licensing contracts there is no way they could possibly get it into the magazine. Or if they had the printer add this to the content on the assumption they already had a contract to show the games and then it fell through? I'm not defending True but sh@t happens!

and to add to your point about them putting it together weeks ago, until last week, I didn't know if we would even be in the playoffs - but sadly after our performance against Baltimore - we didn't deserve to be!

Hi bonobo, you miss my point.....I agree they should show it, but all I was saying was if they have any sort of problem with the transmission then I cant see them moving heaven and earth to overcome it for a small following.

I don't think there was any transmission problem. First, the game was seen by people in Singapore, Diego Garcia, and Afghanistan, and while the NFL does not have the world reach of football, they have one of the best and most detailed television broadcasting of any sport.

Second, when I looked at the True Vision website, the games were not even scheduled.

At least, I should be able to watch the Chargers/Steelers game Monday morning.

Yes - for American and Canadian sports fans True is a waste of time. No NFL (or very limited), no NHL, no NBA of Baseball (or again very sporadic). I note the Bangkok Post regularly reports on these sports and alternates full league standings tables daily (NHL-NBA). Given that we are paying the same monthly fee as we would in the US, and in a country where the people working at TRUE Vision probably earn only 1/10th of the daily wages as their American counterparts, we have more than a right to complain.

I certainly don't subscribe to watch motorcycle ice racing or snake wrestling. And enough of the animal channels ok?

If it wasn't for access to BBC I'd drop it. My biggest mistake was living here all these years and not installing one of those moveable black dishes. I would have saved myself thousands of dollars by now.

True has offered several different reasons for not airing the game as they advertised. Couldn't get the license, last minute schedule change by the league and only had the license for one side of the competition. Three different stories, which one is true?

This is just another example of the style of business that they conduct. The magazine is in error often enough to be worthless, the on screen guide is similar and often the program information is not available, and the online guide, if you can wait for the excess graphics to load all of the outdated information and use the correct term, takes way to long to be effective when you have just found out that the other guides were wrong.

It is a monopoly being operated like a state agency. It would not surprise me to see them raise the prices to compensate for the customers they will lose during the economic down turn.

Is there any other alternative? If you live in North America and parts of South America and have line-of-site to Direct TV or any of the other television satellites, you can simply put up their dish and receiver, pay them by credit card, and watch away.

Is that possible here with any other country's satellite television?

What are you talking about, they do & have showed every single Premiership Game to date if you have the Platinum Package..

I watched Arsenal V Liverpool 2 weeks ago on my Sofa, on the Chic Channel ( Fashion )i think they put it on..

Only Games they don't show are the FA Cup Games, as we've worked out this past weekend..

I didn't think of looking for it on the Fashion Channel. I looked on Truesport 1 where they advertised it (and TS 2,3,4&5)

I didn't think of looking for it on the Fashion Channel. I looked on Truesport 1 where they advertised it (and TS 2,3,4&5)

Sorry Mate, i didn't mean to sound arsey in my previous Post... :o

Anyway, little tip, if you can't find a Game on, they do sometimes switch the Channels but you will find it 100% & that Chic Channel seems to be a favourite of theirs that they switch Games too, amongst others.. :D

Sorry Mate, i didn't mean to sound arsey in my previous Post... :o

Anyway, little tip, if you can't find a Game on, they do sometimes switch the Channels but you will find it 100% & that Chic Channel seems to be a favourite of theirs that they switch Games too, amongst others.. :D

yep, nothing I hate more than having True switch to Chic channel mid wan* and they throw up pictures of 6'5" giant males chasing a little brown ball around - inconsiderate sons of soi dogs!!

Let's have some English or Australian Rugby League games on True!

They used to show Australian RL matches, don't need to be live!

True Vision! Please share out the differant sports so that all your subscribers can enjoy their favourites!

:o:D

• 3 weeks later...

That isn't quite true?

They have started to shunt one of the premiership games onto Channel 20 something? I can't find this channel and if its terrestrial then True needs to change their name to False as it boasts full premiership coverage.

Commiserations about the NFL I am a fan too and how can anyone call this a minority sport even in Thailand, there must be enough expats to fully justify transmitting the games??????

I suppose beach volleyball is at the cutting edge along with Australian aerobics, WWE (how can anyone call the choreographed prancing of a set of neanderthals wrestling?), bull riding ( I hate watching people play with their food), fishing (hardly riveting?) and every other dreary minority sport that displaces the FA Cup and the NFL.

Plus no BBC Knowledge so no Top Gear!!!!!!!!!!

True, I would guess that the majority of viewers are expats or sports bars? So cut the bull and listen to your viewers. Get the FA Cup and NFL on our screens plus cricket Rugby and Aussie Rules.

Oh and please make an English language version of your magazine, if I have to pay for it then it would be fair to say that I should be able to read it?

• 7 months later...

Old thread but related....Finding a live sportscast as advertised always seems to be a challenge with Truevisions. I just stayed up till 0315 to see the 49ers play the Seahawks live on Truevision (ASN Channel 40), something I never thought I would be able to do here in Thailand, so that's good, but it's something I pay good money for. I got my warning SMS at 0250. A nice little feature easily set up using Truevisions website. So far it was looking good, but I still had my doubts... Sure enough 0315 comes around, the previous game is over, but no 9ers game. Hmmmm. I wait and wait thinking maybe kickoff is 0330 or 0345. Then I find out it's half way through the 2nd quarter and 10-0 9ers already!!! As I go to truevisions.com in hunt of a 24 hour help/complaint line, the game clicks on at 0350!!! <deleted> Truevisions!!

I seem to recall this being reported on ThaiVisa before, and someone had found a number to call after hours if this happened. Anyone have that? I don't see a 24 hour number on their website, nor id there one my bill. I sent an email complaining an asking for a 24 hour number, so we will see.