Is The Haze Late This Year?

sceadugenga

It was getting a bit hazy and smokey before we had the couple of days of rain about a week ago which will have cleared the Air. mostly Clear skys afterwards and what looks like high pressures (not checked the weather forcast) and not so much fog or low cloud in the mornings will be helping also.

There's a 'mountain' of corn waste which has been burning or smoldering for a week opposite my place and the smoke seems to be going straight up and away. Were being lucky with the Weather.

I'm quite optimistic this year (something I don't generally have a lot of ;-) )

Most of the Burning has already been done. Second crops are being planted already and I doubt there will be so much 'slash & burn' clearing of the forests this year as there's a huge amount of new rubber gone in at the edge of the forests , something I doubt takes fire well.

We'll breath easier this year

Agreed, our lot planted soya bean as the second crop which involves spreading the rice straw over the ground and burning it before planting... I assume to put potash back into the soil.

Hardly noticed it this year and it starts 20 meters from out bedroom window.

"Haziness" has been intermittent so far. Very recently, the skies have been (relatively) marvelously clear of pollution.

Please refer to previous threads on air pollution, "Is it raining?" and so on for very, very extended discussion on this topic.

Starting to get a bit the same where I live in CM as well, scea.

By the CM Zoo/CMU area; very noticible to me in the last week, maybe more.

Smell the smoke clearly in the very early morning- prevailing winds seem to blow it over the mountains (from the west to east, NE).

Typical. But it's been a beautiful and clear season thus far.

So we can count our blessings, I suppose :o

• 5 weeks later...

Wiki says: Haze is traditionally an atmospheric phenomenon where dust, smoke and other dry particles obscure the clarity of the sky.

And it was definitely dry, no rain today but agree it was cloudy up until about 3pm.

After experiencing 47.6c in Adelaide 2 weeks ago it was certainly cool and fresh today.

Maybe it was haze afterall. I mistakenly always seem to associate haze with Smoke here.

Not so much smoke today but we have definately had some 'local' smoke the last week or so.

the locals couldn't find any forest to burn so have taken to making Charcoal with whats left of the Lamyai plantations and also have started blitzing the orange plantations . I never thought of that one when I made my over optimistic prediction of cleaner Air this year :D

I'm waiting to see what they replace it with, surely not more Rubber :o

Wiki says: Haze is traditionally an atmospheric phenomenon where dust, smoke and other dry particles obscure the clarity of the sky.

And it was definitely dry, no rain today but agree it was cloudy up until about 3pm.

After experiencing 47.6c in Adelaide 2 weeks ago it was certainly cool and fresh today.

Well, there WAS a little rain on 11th where I live (3kms E of Crai city), very light which immediately evaporated on the ground. Lasted about 5 mins, so next to nothing!