Help Needed For Yamaha R1

rayban1510

Hey Guys.. I just bought an Yamaha R1 from "99.. The engine is in bad condition, and needs some fixing.. I live in Rawai on phuket, so my question is: does anybody know where to go down here to get this fixed? Dont want to leave in the hands of thai scooter shop on the first corner..... Also i need some different cosmetic parts, any idea where i can buy these?? Thanks Dennis.....

Hey Dennis,

2 shops in Phuket do very good work: Teera Motorcycle and Motorcycle World.

Now, I know I bashed Teera about their shady practice regarding sale of importerd bikes but mechanic they have is just 1st class! He specializes in sport and racing bikes. It is another story how much Alex, the owner gonna charge you for it.

The other shop is Motorcycle World, here is info about them:

http://www.superbike-forums.com/index.php?...entry2057

Let me know how it goes or if you need any additional help.

PS

I think another Phuket based member, LivingLOS could give additional advice, he knows few mechanics.

Edited by CroBiker

I though MCW sent thier repair work off to Bangkok ?? Thats what it says on the website.

I have a really great vibe and positive experiences with 'scotty' in Chalong.. But hes more chopper type engines than sportsbikes and its kind of informal, meaning take any time estimates and double them, plus he often busy for extended peeriods.. Hes a farang, hes fair, he wont lie, and insists on not cutting corners (you get real gasket sets new, good oils, etc etc) but the downside is as a farang he can struggle to find parts as much as the rest of us. Basically I like the guy and hes my first and only port of call.

Drop me a PM for his mobile if you want to go talk to him..

Ohh and do NOT use bike arts on the tesco lotus to phuket town rd.. Total horror story, even to the point of stealing bits off bikes (always has an empty tank on return too).. They can just about manage to change a tyre or a battery but hopeless at engine work.

Have you considered trying yamaha ?? They do sell the FZ's and R's dont they ??

Ohh and do NOT use bike arts on the tesco lotus to phuket town rd.. Total horror story, even to the point of stealing bits off bikes (always has an empty tank on return too).. They can just about manage to change a tyre or a battery but hopeless at engine work.

As far as im informed, the yamaha shops only sells the small bikes, and it would be very expensive there.. But i could be wrong.. About your friend i chalong, doesnt sound like hes the right mechanic to tear my engine apart... Also i would like it to be done quickly... I think i will try those 2 i phuket town, and see what they can do.. But thank you very much for your help :o

Disclaimer: I'm not even mechanically minded and inclined. But over the years, i made a fool out of myself by spending thousands on silly engine repair. Depending on what's wrong with your engine, sell it and get a new used one.

You can get Wiseco pistons and change countless parts, but you still have an old bike.

Or buy a newer one in good condition and let someone else do the repairs.

Just pointing out alternatives. Some bikes I spent big bucks on were hopeless cases and remained nearly worthless after expensive repairs.

Use your bucks wisely

Good luck!

Chris

As far as im informed, the yamaha shops only sells the small bikes, and it would be very expensive there.. But i could be wrong.. About your friend i chalong, doesnt sound like hes the right mechanic to tear my engine apart... Also i would like it to be done quickly... I think i will try those 2 i phuket town, and see what they can do.. But thank you very much for your help :o

Yamaha (main dealer on the bypass) sells the FZ6 and R6 brand new.. I think they sell the R1 new too..

If your concerned about costs you shouldnt be buying a big bike in Thailand.. Costs aint like back home..

I would try the TP recommendation next.. Tho be alert to whats said about them.

If you are based on Phuket, you might not want to bring the bike to Bangkok, but just in case: I recently had my 2004 R1 at the Yamaha Rider's Club on Ratchada (behind Esplanade) and the guys there are perfectly equipped and did an excellent job!

If you are based on Phuket, you might not want to bring the bike to Bangkok, but just in case: I recently had my 2004 R1 at the Yamaha Rider's Club on Ratchada (behind Esplanade) and the guys there are perfectly equipped and did an excellent job!

hey gizmo, i have the same bike. what did you have done at riders club? anything extensive or just basic stuff? never been but have heard good things, i usually take my around to red baron but have to specify which mechanic i'll allow to work on my bike :o

got any recent pics of your R1?

hey gizmo, i have the same bike. what did you have done at riders club? anything extensive or just basic stuff? never been but have heard good things, i usually take my around to red baron but have to specify which mechanic i'll allow to work on my bike :o

Hi Anthony,

Actually, I just went there to get my hazard warning lights fixed and suspension adjusted, but immediately they found a couple of other things wrong: repositioned a cable, fixed some lose bolts, exchanged brake fluid, adjusted front brake, and also recommeded (and finally changed to) some new tyres. Never had the feeling they wanted to convince me to sell anything though, but convinced me of their excellent skills! (Garage is also impressively neat and tidy.) Afterwards I felt I had a new bike and was very happy to have invested these 15,000 Baht + before doing the BKK-Pai-Loop!

Planning now to bring the bike there for some more basic maintenance, as i have neither the experience nor the tools to do it myself.

About Red Baron, I have also heard a couple of good things, but personally I remain a bit sceptical after one of their sales persons told me "no accident" when I was interested in one bike - and there were some very obvious scratches...

Pic is here:

post-63056-1231518571_thumb.jpg

Saw one of yours somewhere with a race exhaust. (was it Akrapovic?) Do you "feel" any difference? Or just hear it? (Or is it for the cool looks only? :D ) Pretty expensive, isn't it? > 50,000 Baht, I guess...

One more thing: do you have a good seat bag? Pretty wide tail, the sexy girl...

Safe ride!

G.

Hi Anthony,

Actually, I just went there to get my hazard warning lights fixed and suspension adjusted, but immediately they found a couple of other things wrong: repositioned a cable, fixed some lose bolts, exchanged brake fluid, adjusted front brake, and also recommeded (and finally changed to) some new tyres. Never had the feeling they wanted to convince me to sell anything though, but convinced me of their excellent skills! (Garage is also impressively neat and tidy.) Afterwards I felt I had a new bike and was very happy to have invested these 15,000 Baht + before doing the BKK-Pai-Loop!

Planning now to bring the bike there for some more basic maintenance, as i have neither the experience nor the tools to do it myself.

About Red Baron, I have also heard a couple of good things, but personally I remain a bit sceptical after one of their sales persons told me "no accident" when I was interested in one bike - and there were some very obvious scratches...

Pic is here:

post-63056-1231518571_thumb.jpg

Saw one of yours somewhere with a race exhaust. (was it Akrapovic?) Do you "feel" any difference? Or just hear it? (Or is it for the cool looks only? :D ) Pretty expensive, isn't it? > 50,000 Baht, I guess...

One more thing: do you have a good seat bag? Pretty wide tail, the sexy girl...

Safe ride!

G.

hey gizmo,

ya i have the akra exhaust. for the most part sound and looks but there is some performance enhancement as well. shed a lot of weight is the main thing and gain a few horse. it is expensive, i forget exactly how much but 50k is in the range. i've made a few changes to the bike; galfer wavey discs front and back, brembo master cylinder, double bouble screen, gilles rear sets, lightech clutch lever and a bunch of smaller bits. i'm now looking at some carbon bits as well....."hi my name is anthony and i have an addiction" :D

i just ordered a dowco fastrax tail bag. did some reading on the R1 forum and it came highly recommended. not cheap though, about $100. after my last ride to chiang mai i promised myself i would never do a long ride with a backpack on. here's the link Dowco Tail Bag

looking forward to getting it. apparently the strap system is quite good, full weather proof, backpack straps and expands quite large. even has interchangeable color inserts to accomodate the more vain (me)

before the udon thani ride i'll check out riders club a fluids change.

nice bike dude!

Edited by AnthonyR1

Anthony,

Yeah, truly your addiction seems to be pretty much worse than mine :D

Anyway, would be nice if you could let me know once you get the tail bag to let me have a look at it.

I am currently using this "FLM Spoiler Bag" which is quite ok, BUT with the wide R1 tail I am afraid that the standard straps scratch the holy paint :o so that I always add some tape for protection, and furthermore the standard straps are not ideal to fix at the passenger's pegs.

FLM Spoiler Bag

post-63056-1231552749_thumb.jpg

I was also wondering if this Fast Pack might be useful:

Fast Pack

Let's go for a ride some time,

G.