Bars In Lamai...bauhaus Closed?

the gossip on the bauhaus is that the samui shamrock owner has got a new 12 year lease on iy.

is having it demolished (good idea, removes competition)

and golly gosh guess what,

finally what we have been waiting for in Lamai......................

STARBUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great, a fake cappuccino for how much, 200/300b in sunny and hot Samui is a must!

But Taipei is full of Starbucks and hotter so maybe cappuccino overpriced is popular non only in Seattle.

In USA Starbucks is so expensive people have to decide if eat lunch or a frappuccino ....(they all went for lunch....) :o

There is a new place on the beach called Swing Bar behind McDonalds, has free pool tables and Singha is only 60b, food is supposed to be good but haven't tried it yet.

Looks like it is going to be Lamai's version of The Ark Bar.

that swing bar place is 5hite. pool tables are rubbish, food is minging & it's definitely not in the ark bar league (although I personally think the ark bar is also wank).

I hope those starbucks rumours are a joke - a subway would be good though.

Edited by game4shame

what is this swing bar I hear people talking about...sounds kinda kinky ....where is it?

it's on the beach. if you go down past outback bar via road then round to the left, the swing bar is on the right hand side. you can't miss it - it's the one with the swings!!!

don't get excited - you're not missing much IMO.

Edited by game4shame

Does anyone know why the resort (Rich Resort?) opposite of Swing Bar is still only 1/3 finished? I've been coming to Samui for 3 yrs and nothing has ever changed with this place. It seems a Thai family is living in the ground level, but the 2nd and 3rd levels are just bare concrete. Looks like someone had some grand plans and then lost their funding.

Does anyone know why the resort (Rich Resort?) opposite of Swing Bar is still only 1/3 finished? I've been coming to Samui for 3 yrs and nothing has ever changed with this place. It seems a Thai family is living in the ground level, but the 2nd and 3rd levels are just bare concrete. Looks like someone had some grand plans and then lost their funding.

no money to finish completion, yet they will not sell the land and the building to a new developer... sad really as a really nice spot and would make that soi so much nicer if finished....

no money to finish completion, yet they will not sell the land and the building to a new developer... sad really as a really nice spot and would make that soi so much nicer if finished....

The owners of Swing Bar have taken over Rich Resort as well....the structure when complete will be 73 rooms with a rooftop restaurant and pool. Awesome seaview and mountain views!

Thank god, that place is such an eye sore. It will be interesting to see how it turns out. I love the location though.

yes indeed, by what they have done with the bar I think they will do a good job of the hotel.

I thought that Swing Bar was going to be something along the lines of the Soi 7 Beer House in Bangkok, but was disappointed when it was just another bar.

Speaking of bar closings, Scooter Bar bellied up finally. Don't know if there is some other reincarnation in the works, but both the old one and the newer one are finished. Interesting lesson to be learned there inasmuch as having a bar to chum around with your like-nationality friends only works so long and with so many "friends." Being sanctimonious with new customers and having a couple of surly prostitutes loitering around might not have been the best business model, either.

But then it's not like there isn't any other place to get a cold beer... in fact, I took photos of all the signs (or nearly so) of the girlie bars just in Lamai on and near the beach road...I was surprised to find that I had 125 photos!

That makes it even more ludicrious when someone wants to open a new bar..."Oh, yeah, Number 126. Good luck creating your niche...."