Golden Boy Fish Sauce?

dknight

Hey up.. does anyone know where to get Golden Boy fish sauce online?

I'm in Bangtao and I can't find any anywhere. I'm looking for a few good base Thai ingredients - fish sauce, soy sauce, oyster sauce, etc... and everything I've had so far is laden with MSG. I'm trying to avoid that and eat healthy here.

Any suggestions for ordering online?

Thanks! david

I'm in Bangtao and I can't find any anywhere. I'm looking for a few good base Thai ingredients - fish sauce, soy sauce, oyster sauce, etc... and everything I've had so far is laden with MSG. I'm trying to avoid that and eat healthy here.

Thanks! david

If your talking about healthy eating, I would avoid Thai food, period.

Thai food is probably one of the unhealthiest you can get.

Too much is stir fried, boiled in oil, or simply left for the flies to sh^t on before you buy it.

Fish sauce.........do you know how it's made??? :o:D

Edited by dominator

Thanks! david

Too much is stir fried, boiled in oil, or simply left for the flies to sh^t on before you buy it.

The OP did not ask for your moaning and groaning but where he can buy Golden boy fishsause.

We had fish sauce on the table until Mom went to a factory in 1963. I had to wait years (or get others to bring in luggage) before it started showing up in the grocery stores after we came back to the States. Sorry but haven't seen that brand in the metroplex.

Try http://www.templeofthai.com/food/sauces/fi...-5110220135.php

Here is a little story about how fish sauce is made in one factory. http://www.thaifoodandtravel.com/features/fishsauce1.html

There is a factory in south Vietnam that makes some of the best fish sauce around.You can take a tour of it really interesting.Can not remember the name at the moment.

Edited by blue eyes

Just picked up a bottle at our local market for $2.99 US.The wife likes "squid"brand and I like "three crab"brand.But after tasting Golden Boy I now like it best.The squid is salty the three crab is sweet and the golden boy falls somewhere in the middle.

• 2 weeks later...
I can't understand this idea that Thai food is bad for you. When in Thailand I eat nothing but Thai food, I lose several pounds and my system (if you know what I mean!) works perfectly. Thai food is good for you!!!

maybe that's what he's referring to..... :o

• 1 month later...

How is it made ?

Fish sauce is for S.E. Asian cooking what salt is for the Western. The genuine fish sauce is the water, or juice, in the flesh of fish that is extracted in the process of prolonged salting and fermentation. The unique characteristic of fish sauce is Clear, transparent, golden brown color (amber), fishy smell salty flavour. It is commonly used as seasoning and replacement of salt for cooking and dipping seafood and oriental food. Fish sauce contains 27-28 grams of salt, 0.6-2 grams of nitrogen and 0.2-0.7 of ammonia nitrogen

It is therefore a major source of mineral salt and but also essential amino acid more than 13 types, especially Lysine. Another component of fish sauce is vitamin B12, which is essential for healthy diet. There is around 1-5 micrograms of vitamin B12 in 100cc

This protein is a complete one containing all the essential amino acids that the body requires for growth and regeneration. It also contains a rich supply of B vitamins, especially B 12 and pantothenic acid, riboflavin and niacin. Other beneficial nutrients include calcium, phosphorous, iodine and iron.

Fish sauce is called differently in each Asian countries e.g. fish sauce, literally 'fish water', is known in Khmer as toeuk trey', in Thai "Nam Pla", the Filipino calls it as "Patis", Chinese calls it as "Yeesui" , Vietnamese as "Nuoc Nam", "shottsuru" in Japan, "ngan-pya-ye" in Burma, "tuk trey" in Cambodia, "nam pa" in Laos.

Also around the classical Mediteranean countries fish sauce was known. in Classical Roman cooking, where in Latin it is known as garum or liquamen, and also existed in many varieties such as oxygarum (mixed with vinegar) and meligarum (mixed with honey). It was one of the trade specialties in Hispania Baetica. The present English Worcestershire sauce is believed to be a “decendant’ of this.

When fish sauce arrived on Southeast Asian tables remains a mystery, but its invention was inevitable. In a region blessed with abundant fish but, even today, lacking refrigeration, people naturally figured out how to preserve this valued protein source. Used like salt in western cooking and soy sauce in Chinese cooking, good-quality fish sauce imparts a distinct aroma and flavor of its own.

Among marine fish, anchovies (Stolephorus sp.). and related species of small schooling fish from two to five inches in length are commonly used, as they can be found in bountiful supply in the coastal waters of the Gulf of Thailand and the South China Sea. As soon as fishing boats return with their catch, the fish are rinsed and drained, then mixed with sea salt – two to three parts fish to one part salt by weight. NO WATER IS ADDED !

Only the fresh anchovy fish makes the good quality fish sauce that is clear in color and good smell. Fish stored too long at 35C+ will form histamine. Furthermore, microrganisms found during fermentation could form histamine through histidine decarboxylation. However, the definite cause of high histamine in fish sauce has not yet been determined.

Levels above 200 mg/kg are NOT allowed into many countries, inclusive the E.U.

By announcement of Thai public health ministry : three types are categorized based on the production process

1. Pure fish sauce : Fish sauce derived from the fermented fish or fish residue.

2. Fish sauce made from other types of animals : The fish sauce made from marinating other types of animals rather than anchovy fish.

3. Diluted fish sauce : Fish sauce that added with non-hazardous additive or flavoring agent.

Quality Requirements: of pure fish sauce (Follows the Thai Industrial Standard Institute)

1. Must have fishy odor and taste of pure fish sauce.

2. Must be clear, no particles added except particles that are formed by the natural fermentation process. (not more than 0.1 gram per 1 liter)

3. Salt content (Sodium Chloride) not less than 200 grams per liter.

4. Total Nitrogen content not less than 9 grams per liter.

5. Amino acid Nitrogen contents between 40%-60% of total Nitrogen.

6. Glutamic acid content per total Nitrogen between 0.4-0.8.

7. No artificial coloring added except caramel color.

8. No artificial sweetener added except sugar.

Grades:

Grades of fish sauces are similar to that of olive oils: extra virgin olive oil is more flavorful and costlier than virgin olive oil. Pure fish sauce is categorized into three classes determined by the total nitrogen content (protein) in fish sauce

The first quality is called "A" grade ,The second "B" grade The third "C" grade

Specification of Fish Sauce (no sugar)

Parameters Grade A Grade B Grade C

Total Nitorgen (g/l) > 20 14-16 9-13

Protein (%) >12.5 >9.38 >7.5

Sodium Chloride (%w/v) 26-27.9 26-27.9 26-28

pH 5.1-5.7 5.1-5.7 5-6

Color (% Transmittance at 550 nm.) 58-68 58-68 55-70

Relative Density at 25°C >1.20 >1.20 >1.20

Total Plate Count (cfu/ml) <1x104 <1x104 <1x104

Coliform negative negative negative

The filtered first grade fish sauce, in Thai: nam plaa thae, direct from the fermented fish + salt, so the water is the body water of the fish itself, is filled into other clean containers and allowed to air out in the sun for a couple of weeks to dissipate the strong fish odours. It is then ready for bottling. The finished product is 100-percent, top-grade, genuine fish sauce.

Interestingly, at no point is the fish sauce pasteurized or subjected to preservatives; the stuff is so salty that bacteria or other nasties can't survive in it.

Second , in Thai called: nam plaa prasom, and third grade fish sauces are made by adding salt water to cover the fish remains, letting sit for 2-3 months each time, then filtering before bottling. These fish sauces contains less protein.

In Vietnam, the first extraction of liquid from the fermented fish is called nuoc mam “nhi” or “thuong hang”, a phrase that appears on the label. Some cooks reserve this premium product for raw uses, such as vinaigrettes, dipping sauces or final off-the-heat seasoning. The Vietnamese island Phu Quoc and Phan Thiet are renowned for its fish sauce.

Because natural fish sauce requires time to make and very fresh, good quality fish, substantial investment is necessary for large-scale production. This has resulted in the proliferation of a number of less-than-pure products as flavour is substantially reduced with each fermentation, top-grade fish sauce is frequently added to the lower grades to improve their flavour.

Some are made by the process of hydrolysis in which some kind of enzyme or acid is added to hasten fermentation, while others are made by diluting natural or hydrolyzed fish sauce with salt water flavoured and coloured with sugar, caramel, monosodium glutamate (m.s.g.), by-products from the production of m.s.g., saccharin, and other natural or artificial flavourings and colouring.

Not always this is 100% honestly declared in the ingredients.

For marinades or cooked dishes, the less expensive blends are used.

Fish sauce doesn't need to be refrigerated, but it should be kept away from light and discarded if it shows signs of oxidation replace it if it darkens. Mostly a shelf life of 2 – 3 years is printed on the product.

Fish sauce made outside S.E. Asia is NOT covered by the national food laws of these countries and NOT a protected name. result is, many creative mixtures out of water, extracts, invert sugar and aromas can legally be produced there and sold as “fish sauce”.

Some also contain hydrolyzed wheat protein (a flavor enhancer similar to monosodium glutamate) or preservatives such as sodium benzoate. If a sauce contains hydrolyzed wheat protein chances are it was made in an accelerated fashion, not by the slow fermentation process that produces flavor naturally. In S.E. Asia it is NOT allowed to be called: “Fish sauce”

Where to use:

In fact you can use fish sauce in many places, where salt in liquid form can be added.

It can be used in a vinaigrette, in a tomato sauce for pasta, or on broccoli rabe or other cooked leafy greens.

Several top cooks adds it to bouillabaisse , to an heirloom-tomato relish for fried calamari, in a splash to fried rice and to a marinade for grilled five-spice chicken. Many chefs mention fish sauce's affinity for beef and use it to season a steak before or after cooking, as dipping sauce for whole roast fish by marinating sliced chiles overnight in fish sauce, replicating a simple condiment found all overSE Asia.

Fish sauce id made by filling a vat with small fish and water and letting it ferment for several months, it thn drained and bottled, filled again with water and the next lot is second grade.

you left out the part about the maggots crawling about before the fermentation process

Thanks! david

you are exactly right, the degree of salt and poly unsaturated fats, added to poor food preservation practices are killer ingredients.I see that Malaysia has banned Thai oranges due to toxic residue from pesticide spraying practices. Thai food is one the unhealthiest on the planet, as you say

To answer the OP. Cancel the order and stay alive longer

excellent observation; i always feel much healthier when i eat thai food on a regular basis. it seems like alot of commentors just like to deride all things Thai, makes you wonder why they are here.

As to Golden Boy fish sauce, you can get it at Muang Mai Market over by the US embassy.

And as to how its made, thats just the same observation thats often made about such things as sausages, burgers, Worcester sauce(could tell you a great story about what went into the great taste of Worcester sauce, pre european health regulation days).

I can't understand this idea that Thai food is bad for you. When in Thailand I eat nothing but Thai food, I lose several pounds and my system (if you know what I mean!) works perfectly. Thai food is good for you!!!