Economist Subscription

kuma

anyone else a subscriber to the economist by chance?

for 4 weeks now i have not received my copy, they keep saying airport trouble (sure for one week) and other assorted things and i have to keep going to buy issues.

anyone else with the same trouble?

anyone else a subscriber to the economist by chance?

for 4 weeks now i have not received my copy, they keep saying airport trouble (sure for one week) and other assorted things and i have to keep going to buy issues.

anyone else with the same trouble?

Maybe it is on the banned list after some of the articles that were printed a few weeks ago wouldn't have been to the liking of certain people.

Edited by mrtoad

yea one issue was cancelled due to an unfavourable article and none have come since. the distributor is not having a problem thou because you can buy the latest issues all over town but subscribers are not getting them delivered and i do not know why.

yea one issue was cancelled due to an unfavourable article and none have come since. the distributor is not having a problem thou because you can buy the latest issues all over town but subscribers are not getting them delivered and i do not know why.

Hi kuma,

Yes, having same problem as you. Only received one issue for past several weeks--that was the Christmas - year end issue, and it came a week late. Just back from holidays, and I see last week's issue (3 - 9 Jan) did make it to the shelves of stores. Will give their Singapore office a call tomorrow and see what's up. I missed several issues over the course of last year, and I know they'll extend a subscription for missed issues--still, it's a pity such a first class magazine has such a crummy distribution.

Cheers, Misty

Not only crummy distribution.

I am very surprised at the articles a few weeks ago which caused the local banning of an issue, which you can easily find in the Economist on-line version.

[deleted]

I have been a reader of the Economist for three decades and for many many years I used their economic analysis and comment as a solid factor in analysis associated with client work.

No more.

Hi kuma,

Yes, having same problem as you. Only received one issue for past several weeks--that was the Christmas - year end issue, and it came a week late. Just back from holidays, and I see last week's issue (3 - 9 Jan) did make it to the shelves of stores. Will give their Singapore office a call tomorrow and see what's up. I missed several issues over the course of last year, and I know they'll extend a subscription for missed issues--still, it's a pity such a first class magazine has such a crummy distribution.

Cheers, Misty

Okay, have emailed and talked to The Economist's subscription desk in Singapore. From what I understand, for the moment they no longer have a distributor in Thailand and are searching for a new one. Until they get a new distributor, they're now mailing subscriber copies from Singapore to Thailand. I'm sure there's a story behind what led to this situtation.

I received my mailed copy of the 3-9 Jan issue today, 9 Jan. To make restitution, for every week my copy arrives late this like, The Economist has been extending my subscription.

Cheers, Misty

• 3 weeks later...

Read it online earlier, not banned in the UK.

As far as I'm aware, the Singapore distributor has actively taken the decision not to distribute in Thailand because of articles in the current issue that would be deemed offensive to some parties - I think most people understand what this means.

Not only crummy distribution.

I am very surprised at the articles a few weeks ago which caused the local banning of an issue, which you can easily find in the Economist on-line version.

I have been a reader of the Economist for three decades and for many many years I used their economic analysis and comment as a solid factor in analysis associated with client work.

No more.

Hi kuma,

Cheers, Misty

I have the banned issues which I bought outside this country. From the two issues I read I didn't get any feeling that anyone had influenced the author of the articles. I've always found the economist to be wholly unbiased and trustworthy, which is why I read it. I think the banning of the issues is a sad reflection on the lack of freedoms in this country to add to the lack of freedom of debate and discussion.

I have the banned issues which I bought outside this country. From the two issues I read I didn't get any feeling that anyone had influenced the author of the articles. I've always found the economist to be wholly unbiased and trustworthy, which is why I read it. I think the banning of the issues is a sad reflection on the lack of freedoms in this country to add to the lack of freedom of debate and discussion.

I concur with Richb's view. The Economist carries weight and credibility, and the readership in the West is likely to draw very negative conclusions about the ban in Thailand. I dare say that the critical posters know something about financial markets but little about political economy.

I still do read the E on a weekly basis - but i am afraid i cannot say it is unbiased and focused on the original ideal; "to take part in a severe contest between intelligence, which presses forward, and an unworthy, timid ignorance obstructing our progress."

It seems to me that sometime in the mid 90's there was a splash announcement about a new editor - cannot say I know the individuals name. but I have found that since then it has become a much more opinionated journal - in many cases making it very clear it has a bias in terms of what side of a given story it supports.

These days I use it to get a good introduction of what are some of the big issues of the moment, but now I find myself in many cases going to other sources to get a more balanced debate of the issue.

That being said, it still is a useful read for that purpose, and it is not in every article that a strong bias shows thru.

This week the issue will not show up again, and now even when it does it does not arrive for me until wed or thurs, where before i received it on sat. getting a weekly published on a friday the following thursday is ridiculous, whats the use??

I concur with Richb's view. The Economist carries weight and credibility, and the readership in the West is likely to draw very negative conclusions about the ban in Thailand. I dare say that the critical posters know something about financial markets but little about political economy.

Stopped reading The Economist a long time ago because of their articles on Thailand, after being a weekly reader for years.

The article that caused the banning recently referred to the Thai perception of their history as 'the fairy tale version', and implied that the sooner they learn the reality and break their taboos the better for the progress of the people and the country. I completely agree with this and felt that it needed saying and discussing. It wasn't really ironic that the reaction to this from within Thailand was of course to condemn this viewpoint, ban the magazine and stifle any discussion of the subject. Those that have been in Thailand a little too long and maybe gone native may feel the same way.

There is of course a chance that we may be talking about different articles :o . I am referring to the front page article from the first week in December issue, discussing the unmentionable topic. I apologize if I am on the wrong track.

this thread is about whether someone is receiving their copies of Economist subscription.

please keep the discussion on topic. no more of the political talks on this thread please.

off topic posts have been deleted.

I am a subscriber and think it is a superb magazine (or newspaper as it idiosyncratically likes to call itself). I received a letter from them saying the previous edition was not being distributed in Thailand for reasons best known to ourselves, and which a check of their website will confirm.