Update. Ford Gearbox.

G54

Took the motor to the Ford Dealer and he has stripped the gearbox down. Took 4 days.

They want 120,000 Baht to sort it out. No, not a typo.

Got the g/f to tell them, 'no!!'

Now I have to go to Ford tomorrow as they want to speak to me. Should be fun.

I have said I want it putting back together. Seems it will take ..... 4 days.

G/f father (he is a truck fitter) says Ford here will not last much longer as they are going bust and that is why they have quoted such a ridiculous ammount. I will see what they have to say tomorrow morning about the problem.

That wasn't the problem in the first place either. He told his daughter, but she 'forgot' to tell me. Besides, a truck fitter is not a 'gearbox tech'.

I had a phone call this evening and it seems things might be in hand now. He is taking charge of things and I am under strict instructions not to do anything from here on in except go to Ford as all ready is arranged.

Gearbox repairs, especially automatic are very costly. Not to mention replacement.

Here is the example: average Malaysian car Proton, 2,000 cc engine size gearbox replacement (brand new one) was 270,000 baht like 10 years ago...

Brand new car itself cost 1 million baht at the time, do the math.

Gearbox repairs, especially automatic are very costly. Not to mention replacement.

Here is the example: average Malaysian car Proton, 2,000 cc engine size gearbox replacement (brand new one) was 270,000 baht like 10 years ago...

Brand new car itself cost 1 million baht at the time, do the math.

You don't go to the Ford dealer to do this kind of job. BTW a automatic gearbox from a 93 honda civic cost also 100'k, regarding the offer od a Honda dealrship in Pattaya. It's not a rip off, they just goute the price for a brand new one. Forget all about this Bull s..... Go to a Used part dealer (Chieng Kong) in Bang Na or Phatum Wan. You will beable to find a used one for about 25'k plus installation in Somchais Garage, maybe another 5'k including gasked kit, new ATM fluid and filter. That's 30'k. But for about 50'k you can swap the whole engine and automatic transmission to a Nissan SR 20. Bigger job, more expenses, but worth tne money and much more power and more fuelefficient. The only problem is, you need a good mechanic and electricien who can do the job.

F. O. R. D. = Found On Rubbish Dump OR Fix Or Repair Daily.

...dont spend a sweet brazoo on it....crash it then buy a new car with the insurance money. :o

Insurance in Thailand never give you cash money. They gonna fix the car, doesn't matter how bad is the crash. Otherwise Somchai would get every year another car. I recommend, do a engine swap with a Nissan SR 20

F. O. R. D. = Found On Rubbish Dump OR Fix Or Repair Daily.

...dont spend a sweet brazoo on it....crash it then buy a new car with the insurance money. :o

Insurance in Thailand never give you cash money. They gonna fix the car, doesn't matter how bad is the crash. Otherwise Somchai would get every year another car. I recommend, do a engine swap with a Nissan SR 20

I'm glad youve got me thinking this out clearly, hate to flip the ride @ 80, tear it in 3 peices before it slides into the bottom of the klong....then the insurance company dig it out....no doubt use 1st grade repairs and in no time u r driving the old beast again, however this time the gearbox is its best working component. :D

F.O.R.D = Fantastic Ordinary Rocking Device.

I like my Ford Ranger it was cheap, its strong, comfortable OH and cheap :o:D Insurance was cheap as well :D

I bought mine on 04 December 2001 and it is still going strong now with 183,00 km on the clock.

I would like an engine and gearbox from the newer model with the common rail engine but I don't know where to find one in BKK.

We live 400 km up country 1/2 way between Bangkok and Chiang Mai and I have just come back to NZ for another 6 months work.

Billd i'm looking at changing the rear diff. that way it will give back 1st gear and reduce the revs making it both faster and more economical, just doing some research now. if any one knows spec details let me know. Thanks Allan.

Also Thann if you take your bike on the back of your truck remember to cover it (also what do you know about tzr250's). it seems that any load on the expess way needs to be covered. bastards got me with a 500baht 'fine'.

Allan