Eye Laser Experience.

merijn

After many years of deciding ( I’m tooooooooo scared :D ) I will have my pre-op eye exam at the TRSC Lasik clinic in Bangkok next month.

When this exam shows that I’m a good candidate for the operations I have to make the final decision.

I read all the topics about the pro and cons and where the best place is to do it and I believe that TRSC in Bangkok ( together with Bumrungrad ) the best place is to do this operation.

But because I’m so bloody scared ( you talking about putting a laser into your eye :o ) I’m looking for people who have ( recent ) experience with eye lasering at TRSC or other similar place.

Please give me some advise because I’m getting more nervous by the day. :D

After many years of deciding ( I’m tooooooooo scared :D ) I will have my pre-op eye exam at the TRSC Lasik clinic in Bangkok next month.

When this exam shows that I’m a good candidate for the operations I have to make the final decision.

I read all the topics about the pro and cons and where the best place is to do it and I believe that TRSC in Bangkok ( together with Bumrungrad ) the best place is to do this operation.

But because I’m so bloody scared ( you talking about putting a laser into your eye :o ) I’m looking for people who have ( recent ) experience with eye lasering at TRSC or other similar place.

Please give me some advise because I’m getting more nervous by the day. :D

I had my LASIK surgery at TRSC 2 years ago. Very professional outfit. Excellent service and excellent results. Couldn't be happier. (I opted for the monovision to limit my dependency on reading glasses)

Chok-dee,

NG

I have had laser treatment to both eyes, four years apart (the treatment not the eyes before anyone says it!) On both cases it was the same problem, torn retina, one was done in UK and one in Bangkok Pattaya Hospital. Whislt the laser treatment was identical the hospitals were from a different world. UK Standard NHS, crap waiting area and pre med area but the actual laser treatment excellent. BPH, excellent facilities, lovely nurses taking care of the pre med, tea , coffee, biscuits, fresh fruit, chilled water, daily papers etc, laser treatment excellent. The only difference was I paid 6500 at BPH but nothing in the UK (unless you count 48 years of NI contributions!) follow up at bph every week for a month, cost 800 baht per visit. Hopefully never have to do it again I can reassure you , stop worrying they will take excellent care of you and whilst my treatment was for a different condition it was still laser to the back of the eye and again although slightly uncomfortable it was nothing major. I am now considering lasik surgery as I am fed up wearing glasses, just have to save up longer due to the poor £ !!!

I had it done at BKK Christian Hospital about 2 years ago. I was told I would still need glasses, but I was getting so blind that I decided to do it anyway. I can see without glasses (although reading is difficult). It's nice to be able to drive, to wake up at night and be able to see the time etc.

The laser part of all this isn't bad. When they cut the cornea, that's a real pain in the arse, but it's quick. The laser is just light and you can't see well so it's kind of like a fuzzy kliedescope (spelling). It's really not bad at all and I am a really big baby!

I guess you want to hear some reassuring things to make you less scared. Well, I had it done at TRSC a couple of years ago and can recommend the place. Perhaps the following will help you a little;

1. Best place in Thailand to have it done, I think so anyway.

2. The laser treatment is over in something like 1 minute per eye.

3. They give you a valium tablet beforehand which takes the edge off your nerves.

4. They put numbing eye drops into your eyes TWICE before the surgery to make sure they are really numb, you can't feel a thing and the numbness allows them to work on your eye without any reflex reaction. This was my main pre-op concern (I was fearful how I could just lie still whilst someone is fiddling with my eye). But it's similar to the dentist in a way, your eye is so numb that you don't know what they are doing cos you can't feel it.

5. The laser automatically stops if you move your eye during the treatment. I started to worry about silly things like what if I sneeze, but the doctor reassured me the machine can stop and start again no problem if you move.

6. EVERYONE is nervous about having lasik, the Doctors are used to this and know how to reassure you.

My wife was driving me to TRSC on the morning of the surgery and I remember almost telling her to turn back due to last minute nerves. But I'm so glad I went through with it, now got 20/20 crystal clear vision.

There's also one other thing which may calm your nerves, the doctors at TRSC determine that quite a lot of people are not suitable for Lasik during the examination, so you may be worrying about nothing because you may not be suitable.