I'm always smiling

I'm always properly dressed when I go there

I have always my paperwork in order

I have always proove about having enough income

I'm always waiting patiently

and still I have always problems when renewing my year visa

Join the club!

Yes, I know.

I live here nbow for 3 years and every time there is something else. In the beginning I said: OK, this is Thailand but now I'm getting mad sometimes. I don't do any bussiness here, I am retired already so the only thing I do here is bringing my money into the country and spending it, but sometimes I feel like some criminal when I come home from immigration.

I know it is no use to complain here and everyone will say, just like you, join the club but sometimes I have to relieve my feelings.....

Problems like:

- why do you have one bankaccount with 1.6 mill baht together woth your husband and not two separate ones with 800.000 each?

- after 3 years suddenly want to have a document translated from English to Thai which says my husband and I are really married?

- taking my papers, telling me to come back at two o'clock and when I do so telling me to come back in two days again???

- every time asking 5.000 baht for a visa that costs 1.900 (maybe that is the reason they behave like that: I refuse to do so)

- etc.

Edited by farang 55

if on a retirement visa,seasoned money in account 3 months prior to extension there's little they can do to refuse your extension,one would think,but often its just an unfortunate thing that sometimes they just do not like our face,or they're having a bad day themselves....................but yes join the club,happens to us all from time to time...............and yes go ahead and let off steam.............good for the soul!

- every time asking 5.000 baht for a visa that costs 1.900 (maybe that is the reason they behave like that: I refuse to do so)

Are they still getting away with that?

Good for you for not playing along. But now you know the reason for your problems. :o

For everyone reading this. All extensions cost 1,900 Baht

Good for you for not playing along. But now you know the reason for your problems. :o

yes they are still doing that.

they know their history then and know what you lot did to england..............plundered,pillaged etc,you've got them scared

About plundering and pillaging. I thought that was legal still in England (not Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland.)

viking_smiley_81.gif

they know their history then and know what you lot did to england..............plundered,pillaged etc,you've got them scared

About plundering and pillaging. I thought that was legal still in England (not Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland.)

viking_smiley_81.gif

yes gordon brown must have norweigan blood in him

i can confirm they still do it, one of my customer even pay 5500 bath for his yearly extension and of course every proof of adress is 500 bath no matter if you bring picture or if they do picture for you.

i'm glad i never have to deal with immigration, i do border run and i have a work permit as proof of adress.

Well, not every farang. I haven't paid anything over and above the 1900 baht for an extension (and before that the 500 baht that an extension cost) in many many years. I have to add that I have always received courteous, helpful and quick service.

Anyone remember the older guy who had the office right in Nathon, down that little side soi? Now him, we had to pay a bribe to.

Well, not every farang. I haven't paid anything over and above the 1900 baht for an extension (and before that the 500 baht that an extension cost) in many many years. I have to add that I have always received courteous, helpful and quick service.

They probably know that you have been here a long time. Plus have a local Hubby. :o

The wife and I both had one year extensions in Hua Hin yesterday. With the exception of having to take a number and wait for next available immagration officer it all went very smooth. Took about 2 hours, a bit longer this time because they entered all the info into the computer this time.

They have always been very friendly and made it an easy task. Must say though that my wife makes sure all the papers are filled out and we have all the info that they may want to insure things run smoothly.

We each have our own visa so both must qualify. We do so by each having our own proof of income letters from the embassy. The cost of the extension is 1900baht each and we let the officer keep the 100baht change from each of us.

Dress well and look like you can afford to live here and smile and be friendly and it can be easy.

They probably know that you have been here a long time. Plus have a local Hubby. :o

I've been going to that particular Immigration office longer than any of the people currently working there :D

Allthough this is most lightly the case, i have to say rules should be set and the same for everybody. Not changing from case to case. Samui immigration seem to run their own little buisness in a way sometimes.

Then again: T.i.t!

Well Matthias, when I read the reaction from Beentheredonethat I think you better say: This is Samui instead of This is Thailand

Probably true. Btw, how is it nowadays, haven´t used immigration for a few years myself, are you allowed to go to another immigration or are you forced to use this one if you live here?

If samui is that extreme, would it be possible to go another one? Whats the closest, and is it any better?

Just curious.

I agree with SBK, never had a problem.

1900 baht for extension.

I have a feeling that those who pay 5000 baht are getting a multi entry, re-enrty permit as well.

My extention was 1900 baht, this does not include a re-enrty permit. You can opt for a single or multi entry permit, should you so wish. I am not sure, but I think the single entry permit is 1000 baht and the multi entry is 2900 baht. This would mean that an extension + multi entry would be 4800 baht, so maybe they forget to give you the 200 baht change.

My assumption anyway. :o

Edited by mistresserika

I agree with SBK, never had a problem.

1900 baht for extension.

I have a feeling that those who pay 5000 baht are getting a multi entry, re-enrty permit as well.

My extention was 1900 baht, this does not include a re-enrty permit. You can opt for a single or multi entry permit, should you so wish. I am not sure, but I think the single entry permit is 1000 baht and the multi entry is 2900 baht. This would mean that an extension + multi entry woul be 4800 baht, so maybe they forget to give you the 200 baht change.

My assumption anyway. :o

interesting, when i'll see my customer i'll ask him what he's receiving for 5000 bath.

Those that are getting charged 5,000 Baht are only getting the standard extension that costs 1,900 Baht. With no receipt given. Did it myself twice when I lived in Samui.

The first time I was none the wiser until I joined TV and asked the correct fee. The second time I new I was moving soon so just decided to let it go as I would not be applying there again. They must be the richest people on Samui.

BTW The Multi Entry Re Entry Permit is 3,800 Baht.

I was there last Thirsday. Went especially on Thirsday because last time they kept me waiting untill the last one was gone and I was told Monday and Friday are very busy. The man from immigration handed me over my passports and bankbooks and said: that is 5.000 baht each. I answered with a smile and said: the form says it is 1.900 each. Than he said: OK, 5.000 for two because we had t make many copies. That was not true because I provided all the copies they need. I just put 4.000 on te desk and left saying sawadee kah. Outside I checked my stamps and it was only the extension, no re-entry or whatever. It is indeed a big scam and they try to do, not every time, but too often. And I think as long as there are people who actually pay this 5.000 or 5.500 because they are affraid of what might happen if they don't, they will keep on trying.

I was there last Thirsday. Went especially on Thirsday because last time they kept me waiting untill the last one was gone and I was told Monday and Friday are very busy. The man from immigration handed me over my passports and bankbooks and said: that is 5.000 baht each. I answered with a smile and said: the form says it is 1.900 each. Than he said: OK, 5.000 for two because we had t make many copies. That was not true because I provided all the copies they need. I just put 4.000 on te desk and left saying sawadee kah. Outside I checked my stamps and it was only the extension, no re-entry or whatever. It is indeed a big scam and they try to do, not every time, but too often. And I think as long as there are people who actually pay this 5.000 or 5.500 because they are affraid of what might happen if they don't, they will keep on trying.

You are so correct,they always try to overcharge.They wanted Bht 8,700 for extension & multiple entry. When I pointed out to the sullen face girl that this is not correct, she adjusted to the correct amount.There used to be another officer there,used to sit inside,smart one he was, always had you ,the way he talked & did things, you would think he was doing you a big favour & always asked for the extra.

The dramas I have there every year,renewing mine & my wifes at different times.I do everything by the book, but they still try to invent a problem.

The best way to deal with Immigration (in any country) is as follows:

1. Have ALL the paperwork in order. Do not assume anything. Have more information than you know is required, just in case. Bring every scrap of paper that might have even the remotest relevance.

2. Do your homework and bring evidence of what it is you DO need. If a fee should be 1,900 baht, for example, have something as official as you can find (in English and Thai) that shows this. Memorize every rule regarding what it is you need to accomplish and back this up with hard-copies from official websites or official documents.

3. Never get angry, but if necessary, be persistent (without being belligerent/obnoxious).

4. If all else fails, and you know you are being cheated. Insist on a receipt. You may be refused, but...(see No. 5).

5. If needed, wait them out. Most bureaucrats know that 95 percent of all people will "give up" and go away pretty fast. Use Buddha-like patience; if you have to stand at a counter (blocking the way) for 5 hours, do it. Act like the person in charge is just in the loo and will be back in a flash; show no impatience. Often times you will be given what you want because they simply want you to go away (and you standing there, talking to other customers, may be queering their pitch, so even more reason to have you go on your way).

6. Accept that sometimes you will fail and they will take advantage of you and the situation. It ain't right, but sometimes life isn't fair. Pony-up and forget about it.

Edited by Mark Wolfe