How To Deal With Immigration?

Each year I get my multi-entry retirement visa renewed in Samui and each year they ask for a 5,000B bribe and each year I refuse! However, it is getting tiring plus they always lock me in a small room for an hour and throw subtle threats at me. The last time I simply asked the officer for an invoice for the bribe. He handed me my visa with a frown. Does anyone have any other ideas?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Each year I get my multi-entry retirement visa renewed in Samui and each year they ask for a 5,000B bribe and each year I refuse! However, it is getting tiring plus they always lock me in a small room for an hour and throw subtle threats at me. The last time I simply asked the officer for an invoice for the bribe. He handed me my visa with a frown. Does anyone have any other ideas?

report them to Bangkok

I have to admit that when I lived on Samui I used to pay the 5000, but I always thought it was worth it because of the extra service it gave me.

Whenever I walked into the office whether for the annual renewal or simply the 90 day report they used to deal with me soon as possible, even used to fill my forms out for me, if I hadnt done so, and I never had a problem with anything.

When I read on here about the problems people have, as per the present poster, then although I admit its morally wrong for them to charge the extra money, I considered it a worthwhile investment for the years peace of mind.

Having said that, now I use Korat immigration and I have found them superb, and they never ask for anything extra. I do think though, as it has been said many times before, that it helps if you go to immigration looking smart with a nice smile etc and the correct paperwork of course.

HL :o

I have to admit that when I lived on Samui I used to pay the 5000, but I always thought it was worth it because of the extra service it gave me.

Whenever I walked into the office whether for the annual renewal or simply the 90 day report they used to deal with me soon as possible, even used to fill my forms out for me, if I hadnt done so, and I never had a problem with anything.

When I read on here about the problems people have, as per the present poster, then although I admit its morally wrong for them to charge the extra money, I considered it a worthwhile investment for the years peace of mind.

Having said that, now I use Korat immigration and I have found them superb, and they never ask for anything extra. I do think though, as it has been said many times before, that it helps if you go to immigration looking smart with a nice smile etc and the correct paperwork of course.

Well, 3000 extra to get the forms filled out is way to much. Try the "photo-guy" right next to immigration next time. He always filled my forms for 100 baht. Infact i still go to him with forms of driverlicence, cartax, register vehicle forms and so on. He do it all for 100 baht and are nice to explain it in understandable english. Very helpful and nice.

The only thing i could agree on the extra 3000 is if immigration is filled with people and they let you pass the line. If you are on a holiday it might be worth that money to save the time. If you are an expat it is not worth it.

Mattias you really dont get the point do you......people spend weeks ahead worrying when they have to go to immigration....like I said before I was always 100 % confident that I had no problems at all. Its not about the forms being filled in....its the years peace of mind. Its not right that the officials can keep people waiting for days on end or insisting on extra paperwork etc etc but it does happen all the time if you dont play ball with them.

This topic seems alien to me.

For instance, the last time I went to report I handed them my passport and driver's license and asked one of the girls to please help me fill in my address in Thai on the form and she did and 10 minutes later she handed me back everything and off I went to have lunch. No fee, of course.

The place was pretty busy; I think it was a Friday, but it couldn't have been smoother if I had been D. Beckham himself.

I wonder if the people behind the counter are not sizing up their prey, looking for the weak and gullible.

Well Mark Wolfe if you saw me I dont think you would believe the insinuation you just made about me.

I do not give an inch to anyone unless it suits me.

You were lucky, good for you, and they only charge for an annual visa renewal not a 90 day report.

Out of interest why did you have to write your address in thai.

My 12 month business visa is due to require in 6 weeks.

Having this visa means that i only have to make a trip to Nathon Immigration every 3 months.

Am i correct in saying that i should only be charged 1,900 baht for this visa??

Thanks.

Having this visa means that i only have to make a trip to Nathon Immigration every 3 months.

Thanks.

If you have a 12-months multiple non-B then you have to go to the border and get a new entrance stamp every three months.

If you are on extension of stay, then you must report to immigrations every three months.

Take a look at your entrance stamp, what date does it say?

For comparison with other stamps look here: Stamp gallery

report them to Bangkok

Exactly my thoughts. I don't know why people complain here without doing anything about it. What would you do in your own country if you got screwed?

I've been "asked" for a 100 baht tip once in 6 years after a pretty girly filled in my multiple re-entry permit form, and the guy sitting next to her handed me the 200 baht change and suggested I give her one. I don't think he realised what he was saying but it made me laugh and I let her have it. The 100 baht, I mean.

Thanks.

if you have to report to Immigration in Nathon every 90 days you do not have a Visa. You have an extension of stay. Yes the official charge for any extension of stay is 1,900 Baht.

They must be the richest people on Samui.

Well, dont forget we also have a very corrupt police and the taxiscammers, timeshare-scammers, and monopoly airport-owners on Samui.

:o

After all the Immi is not so bad here except the fact that the office is just too small and that Khun Nob and one lady are running the daily business alone. Always funny to see the one older officer in the backroom reading newspapers or watching TV.... TIT

I had to go to immigration today for a housing report (which was free because I know the secret signal to give). The thing that occurred to me was that the place is far too small for the number of people that are passing through the doors.

(...and everyone was asked for 1,900 baht for extensions)

• 1 month later...

I also go through the same routine each year on my retirement visa -- lock me in a room for one hour, threaten me with deportation, and then ask for a bribe. I always have my bank books in order and politely hand them the 1900B. They give me my visa with a frown. I have reported this to the Bangkok Immigration Office (no reply).

Any suggestions?

I have written and emailed the Bangkok Immigration office - no response. This is why I posted it in the forum. Any other briliant suggestions? In the US I would report them and they would be up on charges -- no such recourse here.

have you tried ringing to the HEAD of Immergration

I also go through the same routine each year on my retirement visa -- lock me in a room for one hour, threaten me with deportation, and then ask for a bribe. I always have my bank books in order and politely hand them the 1900B. They give me my visa with a frown. I have reported this to the Bangkok Immigration Office (no reply).

Any suggestions?

I have written and emailed the Bangkok Immigration office - no response. This is why I posted it in the forum. Any other briliant suggestions? In the US I would report them and they would be up on charges -- no such recourse here.

have you tried ringing to the HEAD of Immergration

I have added your complaints to be part of a dicussion ,to take place with Immigration in the near future.Do not feel ,you are the only one being treated in such a manner.Many of us have the yearly problem.

Well Mark Wolfe if you saw me I dont think you would believe the insinuation you just made about me.

I do not give an inch to anyone unless it suits me.

You were lucky, good for you, and they only charge for an annual visa renewal not a 90 day report.

Out of interest why did you have to write your address in thai.

Good grief, not another paranoid person on the board. I DIDN'T REFER TO YOU or anyone. I was making a general statement. Most likely I didn't even notice your name.

I had them write my address in Thai since that is the language of the land and they had the time to do it. I could have done it myself in English...

...as I did just the other day for my 90-day report-in, which, as in the other times, was FREE.

As an aside, pay attention when you get the stamp because the girls accidentally had the roller stamp set to one month earlier than the three months. I pointed this out, and suddenly others were checking and finding the mistake.

...as I did just the other day for my 90-day report-in, which, as in the other times, was FREE.

As an aside, pay attention when you get the stamp because the girls accidentally had the roller stamp set to one month earlier than the three months. I pointed this out, and suddenly others were checking and finding the mistake.

That old Chestnut aye ?? :o:D

I have added your complaints to be part of a dicussion ,to take place with Immigration in the near future.Do not feel ,you are the only one being treated in such a manner.Many of us have the yearly problem.

Hi Rooo,

On what authorithy will you have this meeting with Immigration and who will you be talking to, the local guys?

Hi Rooo,

On what authorithy will you have this meeting with Immigration and who will you be talking to, the local guys?

No authority Limbos, I never said I will have the meeting. The moderators were asked by admin ,for their input relating to immigration problems.Samui does feature on there , I just added to the general consensus. Someone in Bangkok will be approaching the relevant head of the department.

The discussion is to cover several aspects of immigration & problems encountered.So if anyone has relevant problems,please post them & I will pass them on.

Just wondering if anyone has gone in recently to renew their non-immigrant 0 marriage visa. Last year the guy told me that I needed to have 40k monthly income and not 400k in my bank account. As far as I understand the rule is either 40k monthly or 400k in bank. Just wondering if Samui immigration is accepting both options this year as mine is coming up for renewal. Any feedback appreciated.

Just wondering if anyone has gone in recently to renew their non-immigrant 0 marriage visa. Last year the guy told me that I needed to have 40k monthly income and not 400k in my bank account. As far as I understand the rule is either 40k monthly or 400k in bank. Just wondering if Samui immigration is accepting both options this year as mine is coming up for renewal. Any feedback appreciated.

Last year the rule was 40,000 Baht monthly income.

This year it can be Income OR 400,000 In a Thai bank for a period of 2 months before you apply.

The rule changed on 25 th November.

Also there is no such thing as a Non Immigrant O Marriage Visa. You are talking about a 12 month extension of your permision to stay.

Last year the rule was 40,000 Baht monthly income.

This year it can be Income OR 400,000 In a Thai bank for a period of 2 months before you apply.

The rule changed on 25 th November.

Also there is no such thing as a Non Immigrant O Marriage Visa. You are talking about a 12 month extension of your permision to stay.

Cheers for that. Good news.

Well, not every farang. I haven't paid anything over and above the 1900 baht for an extension (and before that the 500 baht that an extension cost) in many many years. I have to add that I have always received courteous, helpful and quick service.

Anyone remember the older guy who had the office right in Nathon, down that little side soi? Now him, we had to pay a bribe to.

I second that for the last 19 years!

Yes I remember the office in the "little Soi" (upper middle rd.) they often be met in the nearby "Pier Cafe"... ah well history of Ko Samui...