Windows 7 Beta Available

Guest Reimar

Guest Reimar

Windows 7 Beta ISO Download and Product Key Available for MSDN and Technet Subsribers

Although the public beta for Windows 7 beta will only available on January 9, 2009, the MSDN and Technet subscribers can now start downloading the DVD ISO media together with a genuine working product key to activate the Windows 7 installed.

The details of the DVD ISO image available for download form MSDN and Technet are:

Windows 7 Beta (x64) - DVD (English)

File Name: en_windows_7_beta_dvd_x64_x15-29074.iso

Date Posted (UTC): 12/30/2008 4:26:48 PM

SHA1: E09FDBC1CB3A92CF6CC872040FDAF65553AB62A5

ISO/CRC: 8E2FAD39

Windows 7 Beta (x86) - DVD (English)

File Name: en_windows_7_beta_dvd_x86_x15-29073.iso

Date Posted (UTC): 12/22/2008 2:41:15 PM

SHA1: 6071184282B2156FF61CDC5260545C078CCA31EE

ISO/CRC: AABA5A48

The SHA-1 hash values for the ISO from MSDN/TechNet is exactly the same with the leaked build 7000 or 32-bit Windows 7 Beta and 64-bit Windows 7 Beta.

Also available is the language packs for Windows 7 Beta:

Windows 7 Beta Language Pack (x64) - DVD (English)

File Name: en_windows_7_beta_language_pack_dvd_x64_x15-29110.iso

Date Posted (UTC): 12/22/2008 2:41:17 PM

SHA1: 75788ACD5BA5095631287DC874C48287601F4047

ISO/CRC: 52E672BD

Windows 7 Beta Language Pack (x86) - DVD (English)

File Name: en_windows_7_beta_language_pack_dvd_x86_x15-29103.iso

Date Posted (UTC): 12/22/2008 2:41:13 PM

SHA1: 761A54487B2696E5B8596B7633B3F7533ACE5E0B

ISO/CRC: 7E8005D4

Windows 7 Beta is available in MSDN and Technet via MSDN Subscriber Download page or TechNet Subscriber Download page. Downloaders must have an active subscription account to login to access the download and generate the beta keys.

Edited by Reimar
removed the links

As Windows 7 is now available for public download, the MS servers are overloaded, look HERE

The Windows 7 Website could be found HERE

The following was the E-Mail get from Microsoft:

Include this full e-mail (particularly the headers).

Message sent to you follows:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

By 12PM PST (USA), Jan 9th, 2009, Windows 7 OFFICIAL Public beta will

begin!

That means after 2.5 Million Downloads, no more Beta keys, but rather a

download for 30 days unless rearmed.

Where to get Windows 7 Beta?

Go here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/evalcenter/dd353205.aspx

or

www.windows7.com

REGISTER before time runs out!!

Cheers.

Yeah right!! That was worth staying up till 3am for

Thanks for your interest in the Windows 7 Beta. The volume has been phenomenal -- we're in the process of adding more servers to handle the demand. We're sorry for the delay and we'll re-post the Beta as soon as we can ensure a quality download experience.

P'd off, user...

Microsoft was born sorry! Lets see, they have announced a limited 2.5mil copies for dl, then they don't expect there will be over that amount looking for it? Under prepared as usual, not cricket is it?

Edited by ozsamurai

First impressions are ok viewing TV now using win 7. With firefox 3

Had problems installing ZONE ALARM SUITE. will not install.

Set all Application BEFORE installing to Windows XP Compatibility Mode and it should works just fine!

Right click on the Setup/Install File, choose Properties ->Compatibility and check for Windows XP Mode. Older Software go back to Windows 2000 or so.

I run Windows Draw and Image Pals both from 1990 on Win 7 in Windows 2000 Mode.

Cheers.

What about the RAM requirements of 1 Gb?

Will Win7 work with "just" 512 Mb (i see no use in upgrading to 1 Gb). XP worked well with just 128 Mb!

I can't imagine why anyone would want to run Windows 7 on a computer with less than 1GB of memory. That seems absurd.

RAM costs nothing these days and I am not sure if the installation will be possible if only 512 Ram are detected.

4th day of running Win7.

First time ever that I installed something M$ that did not go through the first SP and now I did a Beta 1 ...some moderator talked me into it and who am I to refuse? :o

Happy. The fastest OS I have ever seen. I used to blame FF 3.0's slow performance on the internet connection. Since I run Win7 pages load extremely fast. Another example is excel...the program as such opens at about the same speed as under vista. but open a second file - zoom....there it is!

Overall impression: much better organized, less cluttered with stuff you don't want to understand. I love the "sticky" programs that replace the Quicklaunch bar, it is something to get used to at first, but then it makes so much more sense. The side bar is gone, you plug the gadgets straight onto the desktop.

Two things I was not yet able to get running: virtual DVD drives and dial-up with my mobile phone. Must admit that I haven't had the time to fiddle around in detail with this yet.

Crashes: Yes, they happen. Had already twice a complete standstill of outlook . Open the task manager, shoot Outlook into the data nirvana and a couple of seconds (less than 10 I reckon) Outlook was open again with all the mails I had open and no data lost. Those freeze-ups happened when I closed a mail with attachment and this (annoying) you-have-changed-the-attachment-do-you-want-to-save-it routine comes up and then it's frozen.

something else I'd like to add....writing this and the previous post, I am sitting on the patio, the laptop running on battery. The battery life seems to be much longer than before. Must observe this a bit longer....good that there's another beer in the chiller....

I also noticed (and this might explain the above observation) that Win7 stresses the processors much less. Also the memory usage is way down compared to vista.

here's an annoyance I just discovered: I usually use two screens on my laptop, but now only the laptop screen. Usually, I have the browser on the second screen.

I ue FF 3.0 with the session manager. When I switch to another session (I have some sessions saved to get back to them later without searching all the individual tabs again....I think this is the purpose of....never mind...) so when I switch to another session, FF remembers that this was on the other screen that is not here at the moment. and whooshh....the FF window is not visible.

Under Vista you still could click "full screen" and the window was back on your screen. This option is missing in Win7. The workaround solution here is closing the window and restarting FF, then it realizes that only one screen is connected et voila!

First impressions are ok viewing TV now using win 7. With firefox 3

Had problems installing ZONE ALARM SUITE. will not install.

Set all Application BEFORE installing to Windows XP Compatibility Mode and it should works just fine!

Right click on the Setup/Install File, choose Properties ->Compatibility and check for Windows XP Mode. Older Software go back to Windows 2000 or so.

I run Windows Draw and Image Pals both from 1990 on Win 7 in Windows 2000 Mode.

Cheers.

No not that dence(stupid)

try'ed again same program incompatable.

Program Compatibility Assistant: frequently asked questions

[This content is preliminary and subject to change.]

What is the Program Compatibility Assistant?

The Program Compatibility Assistant can detect problems with older programs

The Program Compatibility Assistant detects known compatibility issues in older programs. After you have run an older program in this version of Windows, it notifies you if there is a problem and offers to fix it the next time you run the program. If the compatibility issue is serious, the Program Compatibility Assistant might warn you or block the program from running. If that happens, you'll have the option to check online for possible solutions.

What changes does it make?

It depends on the problem, but any changes made are related to how Windows runs the program. No changes are made to the program itself. For example, the Program Compatibility Assistant can resolve conflicts with User Account Control, a security feature in Windows that can help make your computer safer. Or, it can run the program in a mode that simulates earlier versions of Windows. The changes that Program Compatibility Assistant makes are done automatically, so you don't need to make them.

How do I turn it off or turn it back on?

Adjustments to the Program Compatibility Wizard can be made by using Group Policy. For advanced information on how to use Group Policy, go to the Microsoft website for IT professionals.

Can I run it manually?

No. The Program Compatibility Assistant runs automatically when it detects an older program that has a compatibility problem. However, you can use the Program Compatibility troubleshooter, a separate but related feature of Windows, on a program or on a setup file if it won't work or install correctly. For more information, see Make older programs run in this version of Windows‍‍.

Found a temp workaround retained win xp on disk while installing. dived in there and and tryed to install from stored set-up files still a no no in the end i downloaded a 15 day trial of ZA and still had to run compatability mode for xp. Works now well for 15 day's

OK, a week later and is anyone using this? Did you set it up for a dual boot or a clean install and take your chances? And is the download still available or have they reached their limit?

OK, a week later and is anyone using this? Did you set it up for a dual boot or a clean install and take your chances? And is the download still available or have they reached their limit?

1. Run on my laptop in Dual mode with Vista Ultimate;

2. Run on one Desktop in Dual mode with Server 2008 Enterprise;

3. Run on one Desktop in Standalone mode.

(1. is used on the same HDD with 2 Partitions, while 2. on two different HDD's)

All three without problems!

Running even 19 years old programs, which can't work in Vista! In Compatibility Mode Windows 2000 and XP!

The first installation in Dual Mode with Vista on my Laptop I had crashed, was need 2 days for to do so, just for to test if I'm able to recover the system after an Crash! Because I didn't want to run a system in maybe daily use which can'n be recovered. The recovery wasn't any problem using the DVD of Windows 7!

Done the same a second time and used the DVD of Vista for to recover and even that was working well!

Many of the function working in Win 7 more easy than in Vista and even XP for some. The speed is faster than both Vista and XP, special on my Laptop which is an 2 1/2 year old Acer 5598 with just 2 x 1.66 GHz CPU!

IMHO Windows 7 is a quite huge improvement compare to Vista and even XP.

Cheers.

A series of Questions from a Paranoid User....

What happens to the Beta after 30 Days?

Can it be uninstalled cleanly?

Can Vista Ultimate and Win 7 be running at the same time in Dual Mode.. Or is it One at a time only?

Will Win 7 pick up all my Programs and preferences and DLLs or must I reinstalll everything in Dual Mode?

Will I be forced to purchase Win 7 or can I return to a Clean Vista after Beta is over?

I think those are the main points.

CS

A series of Questions from a Paranoid User....

What happens to the Beta after 30 Days?

You can still obtain a CD-Key from MS if you sign up or use an existing LIve or TechNet account.

Can it be uninstalled cleanly?

As every Windows, Win 7 works same!

Can Vista Ultimate and Win 7 be running at the same time in Dual Mode.. Or is it One at a time only?

If you use VM Ware or Virtual PC pp. no problem, or one at the same time from different drives or partitions.

Will Win 7 pick up all my Programs and preferences and DLLs or must I reinstalll everything in Dual Mode?

As every Windows, Win 7 works same!

Will I be forced to purchase Win 7 or can I return to a Clean Vista after Beta is over?

After using it you may wouldn't change back!

I think those are the main points.

CS

Cheers.

Im running with dual boot, and i've only played with Win7 a little... i keep going back to vista, but then i have nearly 40gb of unfinished torrent downloads to get through first.

First impressions of Win7 (beta) - i like it, its slick, its fast, its everything vista should have been.

Miss my quick launch bar though

Have to agree here, 100%

So far, very much impressed...

Anyone know the minimum specs for Win7? Might be tempted to install it on an old sony vaio

Have to agree here, 100%

So far, very much impressed...

Anyone know the minimum specs for Win7? Might be tempted to install it on an old sony vaio

I had installed on an CE900 with 512 MB and works even better than XP!

Why not just give the Sony a try? I also had install on an old Sony with 1 GB/GHz Vista and that was works fine as well!

Cheers.

Been playing for a week or so Core Duo 1.66 3GB RAM. Its humming along as was Vista Ultimate on the notebook, but...

THE GOOD

1) I like the preview windows and quick switching for preview on the go multiple pages at once without having to open them all and close them all

2) Its quite fast but still not as fast as Linux based programs, Ubuntu 8.10 is way faster

3) Sticky Notes is a great little tool that I would miss

THE BAD

1) I have had a few problems with Outlook 2007, it just wont remember passwords and throws a bug screen up constantly to enter passwords, even checking the remember function doesnt work.

2) Japanese Language support is proving a headache, I need to type as well as read, this is a problem I thought they may have fixed now, doesnt recognize a 106 keyboard etc...

3) Again MS makes it just that little more difficult to use anything outside IE, myself I run Chrome, Firefox and IE to proof webpages, and the compatibility is as you would expect a little off esp in firefox

4) Win7 on boot does not yet support Skype, it will run, but flags an error mesage, I thought that might have been a given since it is so large

5) The bundled media center is way too heavy and I find it awkward to operate, it along with a few of the other add ons will hit the circular file soon I feel, as there are better 3rd party stuff out there.

Might be tempted to install it on an old sony vaio

I have an MSI Wind Netbook and had installed Vista Ultimate on it. Decided to re-partition it and install Windows 7 on the 2nd partition for dual booting. Installation went smoothly and reasonably quickly, about the same as Vista in installation speed. All drivers except the Lan/WiFi drivers from the CD worked but just downloaded the Vista drivers and works perfectly with all devices recognized by Windows 7. Performance seems fine considering it is a 1.6GHz single core Atom processor but I do have 2GB memory on it.

I first tested Windows 7 using VMWare Workstation 6.0 to be sure there were no surprises before I went to the next level.

Been playing for a week or so Core Duo 1.66 3GB RAM. Its humming along as was Vista Ultimate on the notebook, but...

THE GOOD

1) I like the preview windows and quick switching for preview on the go multiple pages at once without having to open them all and close them all

2) Its quite fast but still not as fast as Linux based programs, Ubuntu 8.10 is way faster

3) Sticky Notes is a great little tool that I would miss

THE BAD

1) I have had a few problems with Outlook 2007, it just wont remember passwords and throws a bug screen up constantly to enter passwords, even checking the remember function doesnt work.

Works fine on mine without problems.

2) Japanese Language support is proving a headache, I need to type as well as read, this is a problem I thought they may have fixed now, doesnt recognize a 106 keyboard etc...

That is a Keyboard Problem well known if use an normal Laptop or Desktop Keyboard.

3) Again MS makes it just that little more difficult to use anything outside IE, myself I run Chrome, Firefox and IE to proof webpages, and the compatibility is as you would expect a little off esp in firefox

Chrome is the one which didn't remember the password after rebooting! Other are ok.

4) Win7 on boot does not yet support Skype, it will run, but flags an error mesage, I thought that might have been a given since it is so large

I use the portable version of skype and have place it in Startup, works fine, don't like the installed version, need to much resources.

5) The bundled media center is way too heavy and I find it awkward to operate, it along with a few of the other add ons will hit the circular file soon I feel, as there are better 3rd party stuff out there.

Left one and here I can't tell anything because I don't use it, no time!

Cheers.

Hi all, @Twain

U don’t need to install Windows7 on a separate partition!

New in Win7, u can install it on a Virtual-Harddisk (not VirtualPC).

Harddisk on a Harddisk is the best solution for dualboot Systems.

Absolut similar as normal installations.

Here a good installation Description:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=3324

If ur basis OS is not Windows 7, create a Folder name Virtual on drive c:

Start with Windows7 DVD, by Install Now, Shift-F10, diskpart (new version) and

enter: create vdisk file=c:\virtual\win7.vhd type=fixed maximum=16000.

Here u can continue with select and attach see description.

Multiple Installation are possible e.g. x86, x64 and Server 2008 R2.

Easy to install, easy to Erase.

If u are not familiarly with BCDedit u can download VistaBootPro to handle the Bootsector.

drake

Edited by drake

THE BAD

Works fine on mine without problems.

apparently the same problem on the wife's laptop. For one of her accounts she has to re-enter the password once in a while.

Other than that the wife is also happy with win7, her Acer 4315 was the cheapest the market had on offer and it runs office applications, msn, FF 3.0 simultaneously without any flaws worth mentioning.

Just as an sidenote, I'm really wonder where all the negative comments been this time by this OS?! :o Remember the "storm" as Vista came out?! :D

Cheers.

Just as an sidenote, I'm really wonder where all the negative comments been this time by this OS?! :o Remember the "storm" as Vista came out?! :D

Cheers.

I wonder why you wonder?!

Vista was crap, so people complained. Win 7 is a lot better, so we don't complain.

Cheers.

Well Windows 7 isnt "out" it's just a beta and only a small percentage of people are using it :D

And Windows 7 is not without its Flaws, after a weekend of testing it, i've found a handful of bugs