Beer Chang Wins Gold Medal In The 2008 World Beer Championships

Jai Dee

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

beer chang is a nice lager,...but to say it'sa "Thai" beer is not telling the whole truth,....Chang was originally made by the Carlsburg brewery then sold to the Thai owner,....the best beer in the whole wide world is Royal Oak an ancient British beer made by monks centuries ago in Somerset,...per gravity it is just about the strongest beer in the world,....and pure nectar

We have beers up to 12% alcohol.

You can by a Leffe in almost every carefour with 6,5 up to 9% alcohol. Sometimes you can even find a Rodenbach.

For the genuine beer lovers amongst us I give the website of Michael Jackson the most respected beer connoisseur worldwide. Regrettable he is no longer amongst us, but he left for big brewery in the here after

http://www.beerhunter.com/worldview.html

First John Lennon, now Michael Jackson, as beer critics, amazing :o

The distinguished tasting panel described Chang as: "Bright golden color. Honeyed raisin toast aromas with a hint of lychee follow through on a crisp, smooth entry to a dryish medium body with a hint of apple, nut, and a solid roasted grain character. Finishes with a crisp, balanced earthy hop and pizza dough fade. A very nice food beer."

Where do these judges, both beer and wine find all these flavours?

Probably from under unwashed false teeth.

Nutha thing that makes me wonder, the popularity of bland Heineken, not much better than Budweiser.

Mind you Heineken won 2 medals, 1875 & 1889.

A woman's beer........ femininist at least.

NO hangovers ever from CHANG, brilliant brew, long may it be brewed.

[

The export version of Chang is 100% malt. The one in Thailand contains some rice. The export version tastes similar to Chang draft, but it is not exactly the same recipe. The export version is only 5% alcohol (possibly still too strong for Americans and Aussies). :D

Obviously you are ignorant regarding American beers...you probably have only drank the national/international beers brewed in America ie...Budweiser, Miller, Coors. :o

Every large American city has 3-4 local or Micro-brews which are fresh and well made. Two of the larger examples are Sam Adams which is brewed in Boston and Cincinnati, and Yuengling which is brewed near Philadelphia. Sam Adams makes a specialty beer which has a very high alcohol content.

Well my personal thoughts on Chang is it's the most putrid and revolting concoction ever mis-represented as beer! When When I was passing through Thailand for the first time 4 or so years ago I always drank Singha - no real reason other than I'd have a can on the plane on the way over and thought it was decent enough beer.

Then one night I idled up to a bar and decided to order a Chang instead of my normal - I took about 3 mouthfuls push it to one side and ordered a Singha and I've never drunk it since and never will again!

I guess I am spoilt this days with Beer Lao, Dark Beer Lao and Lane Xang beer here being my local tipples but I have to say if I ever have a drink when I visit Thailand and Leo is on the offing that is one I'll drink. Sure it's nowhere near as crisp or refreshing as Beer Lao but in my opinion it's the closest of the Thai beers to Beer Lao.

I will take Dark Beer Lao over ANYTHING offered ANYWHERE - it's the most refreshing and easy drink 6.5% brew you could ever find. The Dark Beer Lao is classified as a Dark Lager opposed to the Pale Lagers it certainly isn't a bitter or ale.

But as has been said these 'awards' are just for who has the biggest marketing budget how else can Tiger beer have so many gold medals and Beer Lao have the solitary 1 Brussels medal they got from last years awards.

Tiger beer for me despite god know how many awards they boast about is a tasteless and bland liquid with no defining qualities other than being a liquid that contains alcohol! I agree with the people saying Angkor beer - that is a nice drink also - not had it for several years however.

For those who visit Laos next time your here if Lane Xang (the Lane is pronounced Laan i.e. million) is on the beer menu (look for red labelled bottles) give it a blast - it's a very nice 5.5% brew by the Lao Brewery. A tad drier than the usual Beer Lao but strangely an even easier smoother drink with 0.5% more alcohol! :o

With a history of rigged elections the US of A does not really surprise me with a outcome like that.

BUT the Gold Medal won in Brussels? Probably the contest was arranged and paid by Thai Bev, otherwise I can not understand why the worst beer in Thailand can win medals abroad, not speaking of being allowed on the market (check the chemicals!!).

It's predictable that any thread on ThaiVisa with the word "beer" or "pizza" in it will bring out the America haters. All that happened here Chang found a website run by unkown people and got a "gold medal" from them, and then Chang put out a press release. While it might be the case that America has committed unforgivable sins against you and that you have have the right to hate every last thing and person who comes from there, your animosity is misdirected in this case.

No way that I hate every last thing from America (including the United States) and person who comes from there. I just stated the fact that it does not surprise me that in a country like the USA there are "electional" outcomes like that.

Please do not write accusations like I hate americans (including my many american friends) and the like, because that is not the fact.

@Hanimal: Interesting. So the ones that have a lot of foam do not contain the chemicals?

As for German beers, I believe almost no German beer uses chemicals or other preservatives except hops. I believe that is why they have a short shelf life and are rather difficult to export. By the time they arrive, you only have another month or so to sell them.

Actually I meant that the foam is "sometimes" a result of additives. I can't pretend to be an expert, just repeating what a brewer explained to me.

beer chang is a nice lager,...but to say it'sa "Thai" beer is not telling the whole truth,....Chang was originally made by the Carlsburg brewery then sold to the Thai owner,....the best beer in the whole wide world is Royal Oak an ancient British beer made by monks centuries ago in Somerset,...per gravity it is just about the strongest beer in the world,....and pure nectar

Sorry - wrong. Chang was created after, or very near to, the split with Carlsberg when ThaiBev purchased Carlsberg's brewery here and had to create something new which was NOT Carlsberg (legal reason being you cannot copy Carlsberg without their permission). However, the same guy that brewed Carlsberg in Thailand created the recipe for Chang, it is true. He is Thai.

QUOTE (yongli @ 2009-01-10 16:31:08) post_snapback.gif

As for German beers, I believe almost no German beer uses chemicals or other preservatives except hops. I believe that is why they have a short shelf life and are rather difficult to export. By the time they arrive, you only have another month or so to sell them.

In germany they have a law "Reinheitsgebot" about beer, that's why german brewed beer can only have natural ingredients and have no chemicals or preservatives. Thats why also in a pub"Stube or Wirschaft" they serve lager beers only by draft; The same go's for Belgium and Holland.

Almost correct. The Reinheitsgebot law was repealed some time ago and it is no longer compulsory for German companies to stick to it. That is why when Federbrau was produced here the owners sought, and received, certification from Germany that it was brewed to the original Reinheitsgebot law. It is the only Thai beer brewed in accordance with the law and there is nothing added except water, yeast, hops and malt.

Thai Beverage was Carlsberg's partner in Thailand, they brewed Carlsberg, of course, and competed with Heineken. They didn't have any cheap beer with mass appeal, that sector was ruled by Singha, so Beer Chang was born.

It won Golden Alba award probalby even before it was manufactured, if you take their ads seriously.

Shortly after there was a fallout between Carlsberg and their Thai partners and Thaibev was left with only Chang. They sucessfully taken the crown from Singha because they forced their own brand down their whiskey supply chain - no Chang, no whiskey. It worked like magic.

The news had it that Chang used rice in it's production, it might have changed by now. Chang probably went a bit up in quality to create space for cheaper segment. Federbrau is their latest attempt at premium market dominated by Heineken.

Carlberg still can't find a suitable partner to restart its business here.

Most of us who live here in Thailand already know what Beer Chang tastes like and have our own opinions. Those opinions will not change because of some award being won in the USA. Who could seriously believe any "World Championship" award from a country where they call their ultimate Baseball championship a "World Series" (no other teams outside America compete and the name was coined by journalists) and where announcers call the winning team in the American Superbowl Football final as "World Champions" (only played by American teams). We all know that the usual run of the mill American beer is just coloured water, so the palates of the judges would not be acquainted with truly great beers from various parts of the world. A vast majority of really great Breweries don't have to enter their beer into these type of competitions as they already have a market and don't have to prove anything. Are the entries in these competitions the true brews that are sold at our local bars??? I don't think so!!!

Thai Beverage was Carlsberg's partner in Thailand, they brewed Carlsberg, of course, and competed with Heineken. They didn't have any cheap beer with mass appeal, that sector was ruled by Singha, so Beer Chang was born.

It won Golden Alba award probalby even before it was manufactured, if you take their ads seriously.

Shortly after there was a fallout between Carlsberg and their Thai partners and Thaibev was left with only Chang. They sucessfully taken the crown from Singha because they forced their own brand down their whiskey supply chain - no Chang, no whiskey. It worked like magic.

The news had it that Chang used rice in it's production, it might have changed by now. Chang probably went a bit up in quality to create space for cheaper segment. Federbrau is their latest attempt at premium market dominated by Heineken.

Carlberg still can't find a suitable partner to restart its business here.

The AIBA award came in 1998. The company produced Chang in 1995. No time traveling here I think. As for the supply chain - I believe they got the idea from Boonrawd who have said for decades "no soda and drinking water - no beer."

I meant that the very first ads for Chang included boasting about Alba win already.

Boonrawd tried to sue Chang for breaking anti-monopoly law bit got nowhere.

And it wasn't just the rule, they also subsidised Chang with profits from whiskey trade and undercut Singha's price.

It's the first time I hear "no soda no beer" argument ever.

Regardless, I don't particularly care about their business ethics. They both make money from alcoholism and suffering families.

I have been a beer lover for over 40 years, and love all kinds of beer, from Guinness, to English real ale, to the best of European lagers.

I first tried Chang in the early 90's, when it first came out, and I liked the flavour. It is a very good, tasty beer, which goes down extremely well when ice cold in a hot climate.

But I rarely drink it as it is just too strong.

Yeah, the beer is strong, but the hangover is even stronger, so strong that has its own word for it "CHANGOVER" :o

Last time I had a changover I was useless for half day feeling like crap in bed, not even my maid's chicken porrige served in bed could make me feel better. Yes, the beer tastes fine, is the aftermat the killer one.

Crap I remember and I get a headache :x

I have been a beer lover for over 40 years, and love all kinds of beer, from Guinness, to English real ale, to the best of European lagers.

I first tried Chang in the early 90's, when it first came out, and I liked the flavour. It is a very good, tasty beer, which goes down extremely well when ice cold in a hot climate.

But I rarely drink it as it is just too strong.

Yeah, the beer is strong, but the hangover is even stronger, so strong that has its own word for it "CHANGOVER" :o

Last time I had a changover I was useless for half day feeling like crap in bed, not even my maid's chicken porrige served in bed could make me feel better. Yes, the beer tastes fine, is the aftermat the killer one.

Crap I remember and I get a headache :x

just wonder how many Bottles of Chang you have to drink before you get drunk and have an hangover.

Sorry - wrong. Chang was created after, or very near to, the split with Carlsberg when ThaiBev purchased Carlsberg's brewery here and had to create something new which was NOT Carlsberg (legal reason being you cannot copy Carlsberg without their permission). However, the same guy that brewed Carlsberg in Thailand created the recipe for Chang, it is true. He is Thai.

that must have been something well what a coincidence!!!,,I read differently. also the Chang people only promoted their own beer and broke an agreement with Carlsberg that Carlsberg did not persue...Chang receipe was sold/given to Thai Bev to get them into that market indeed it waS chosen by the boss of Thai Bev himself but,....Carlsberg recommended it to them!!Simple.....but history has been re-written by advertising!!!

Edited by dee123

...its a bit like the Spice Girls saying they wrote all their own songs,....if you call "mama i love you"....composing ....but an old guy(called Beethoven) in the background playing the piano!!!

Edited by dee123

"Once again the experts have spoken and the gold goes to Chang. We couldn't be more proud of Chang's performance in these tough competitions. It is simply one of the world's finest tasting beers."

How does he say this with a straight face? I mean, I drink Chang, but it is a cheap beer for getting drunk, not something you drink for the taste. *cracks open another Chang*

Anyone know the number one selling beer in the world, including Europe?

scroll down for answer

Budweiser.

Bet you didn't see that coming.

Do you know the biggest brewer in the world

scroll down for answer

Inbev,(Flemish company)

took over Budweiser, so in a few years they will start to learn to drink real beer in the US.

Anyone know the number one selling beer in the world, including Europe?

scroll down for answer

Budweiser.

Bet you didn't see that coming.

Do you know the biggest brewer in the world

scroll down for answer

Inbev,(Flemish company)

took over Budweiser, so in a few years they will start to learn to drink real beer in the US.

the USA has a lot of microbreweries that have very good beer that is sold in most of the supermarkets. Much more expensive than animal beer though.

I stopped drinking Chang sometime ago.

Asides from the legendary hangovers, I often find that when drinking Chang my night is over early because I get absolutely hammered way to early, but then I do tend to drink it as though it is water.

So I generally stick to Singh now, or a few guinness's (when the boss is paying), on which I can drink steadily throughout the night and still be in control.

Regardless, I don't particularly care about their business ethics. They both make money from alcoholism and suffering families.

I am surprised you take human decisions out of the equation. When one car hits another, no one says cars destroy families - it is the poor driving skills of someone that does that (talking about sober drivers here, who account for 60% of fatalities). When someone drinks to excess, surely they take responsibility for that? Otherwise we can say car companies are responsible for vehicular accidents, pharmaceutical companies are responsible for overdoses, rope companies are responsible for suicides. Whatever the tool, the user is responsible, surely? Or are you going to say that Thai people are not capable of making their own decisions?

Singha beer nice and cold without ice! (Grrrr! never seen people put ice in beer before I came to Thailand!), I just want a cold refreshing drink on a hot day to have with my spicey hot rice dish.

The days of drinking/wanting the beer with the highest alcoholic content are gone, as are smoking the strongest dope I could find.

Now I just want something that accompanies the situation.

In a Thai restaurant here in Dorking last night a large Singha bottle was £5.50, I think 50bht was the best I could find in Thailand at a garage outside Lopburi somewhere, big difference!

Talking of difference, whats the difference between larger and beer?

Studland Bay Wrecked brewed by Purbeck breweries is my favourite ale, oh larger/beer/ale, now I'm confusing myself.

Lager beer was developed by German brewers who discovered that aging beer in natural caves after the initial fermentation produced a cleaner beer and made their brews less susceptible to contamination.

Eventually this aging, called lagering, led to the isolation of yeasts that thrived at lower temperatures than the traditional ale yeasts. This bottom fermenting yeast is more aggressive than ale yeast yielding a drier beer with almost no flavor or aroma contributed by the yeast itself. When combined with lagering the result is a simple, clean beer. Lagers are typically served cold.

High yeasts beer is something else.

For the connoisseurs amongst the beer lovers who like to have more information

http://belgianstyle.com/mmguide/brew/yeast.html

I am surprised you take human decisions out of the equation. When one car hits another, no one says cars destroy families..

Unlike cars alcohol is an addictive drug.

It's legal, true, but in principle no different from heroin.

I am surprised you take human decisions out of the equation. When one car hits another, no one says cars destroy families..

Unlike cars alcohol is an addictive drug.

It's legal, true, but in principle no different from heroin.

Time for me to jack-up another pint of archa then.

I don't want to start the whole new topic, but in principle, "social drinkers" and "recreational users" are not different.

The problem is that for every social drinker there's a sick alcoholic, too.

People make their own decisions, true, but if you take the whole society, a certain percentage will ALWAYS turn out to develop unhealthy dependency.

Both Chang and Singha are happy to take money from them and so inflict even greater misery, there's no point in talking about their business ethics.