Reduce Video File Size

Maestro

When I film a short video sequence with my digital camera (Canon Ixus 75) it is saved in the AVI format and even for 20 seconds only is over 30 MB big. I would like to reduce the file size but don't know what format to use. The video editing software (Camtasia) I have on my PC lets me chose the formats shown in the screenshot below:

post-21260-1231672676_thumb.png

--

Maestro

• 2 weeks later...

I use 'Super' to convert .mov files from my camera to .flv files for upload, but Super will convert just about anything, including .avi files. And it's free.

The good thing about .flv files is that Youtube tends to leave them alone and not do any more processing of them after you've uploaded them. This processing can change the quality quite dramatically, e.g. from stereo to mono. So often an .avi uploaded will be converted to a .flv by Youtube to a lower quality.

However, there have been some changes at Youtube recently, and getting uploads to stay in high quality stereo is becoming easier. They have even re-converted some old uploads to a higher quality which implies that they store the original uploads so that they can re-process them later when their technology evolves.

I use 'Super' to convert .mov files from my camera to .flv files for upload, but Super will convert just about anything, including .avi files. And it's free.

The good thing about .flv files is that Youtube tends to leave them alone and not do any more processing of them after you've uploaded them. This processing can change the quality quite dramatically, e.g. from stereo to mono. So often an .avi uploaded will be converted to a .flv by Youtube to a lower quality.

However, there have been some changes at Youtube recently, and getting uploads to stay in high quality stereo is becoming easier. They have even re-converted some old uploads to a higher quality which implies that they store the original uploads so that they can re-process them later when their technology evolves.

i used to mess about with my files myself before uploading them.. was a technique known as 'hex editing' that would produce near hi def quality once it became online on their site.. YouTube soon realised what 'we' were doing and blocked this trick (cos it uses up a lot of their 'space')

Jetset, i think u know my utube channel so u can see what i'm talking about - still have a couple of "HQ / Hi Def Vids" on there from the 'good old days'

Thankfully, youtube have recently been upping the general quality of anybody's video uploads, and if they are of a certain 'size' they will automatically offer a "watch in high quality" option tab, beneath the vid window..

another way to ensure top quality is to use the H264 codec in the conversion of your files..

Edited by Goshawk

i used to mess about with my files myself before uploading them.. was a technique known as 'hex editing' that would produce near hi def quality once it became online on their site.. YouTube soon realised what 'we' were doing and blocked this trick (cos it uses up a lot of their 'space')

Jetset, i think u know my utube channel so u can see what i'm talking about - still have a couple of "HQ / Hi Def Vids" on there from the 'good old days'

Thankfully, youtube have recently been upping the general quality of anybody's video uploads, and if they are of a certain 'size' they will automatically offer a "watch in high quality" option tab, beneath the vid window..

another way to ensure top quality is to use the H264 codec in the conversion of your files..

:o Yes, I read all about those tricks when I discovered that my usual way of converting files (so that they would stay in high quality stereo) stopped working - about 9 months ago, I think. I have also used the H264 codec to help with that problem.

Yes, I had a look at your Youtube channel. There's some interesting stuff there. I really need to get myself a decent video camera. I see you have already uploaded details of your Sony DCR HC51 Camcorder. Are you still happy with it? Is there a later product that you would think is better?

I just re-ran your video - 40x optical? Wow! I like that! :D

Perhaps we should start a "How to Upload to Youtube" thread. :D