International Driving Licence?

Just curious.

I've been lucky enough to do a far bit of travelling, and generally hire a car.

My U.K. licence has always been accepted without comment.

I understand an International Driving Permit is needed for Thailand.

I'm just curious, as it will obviously be in English, I can't see the advantage.

Maybe I'm missing something.

Roger

I'm just curious, as it will obviously be in English, I can't see the advantage.

My international driving license comes in various languages, let me see... Malay (cos it's issued in Malaysia), English, Greek, Chinese, Arabian, and 4 others which I believe are European languages.

Thailand requires people from all but a few neighbouring countries to have an IDP.

This is because they don't differentiate between a UK licence, French licence, German licence, Brazilian licence etc.

i.e. By enforcing the requirement for an IDP, they ensure there is an English translation with the vehicle types you're allowed to drive in a standard format. (why IDPs exist).

This means Thai police don't need to know about the different classifications on different country's licences (even if they are in English).

The real question is why more other countries don't require an IDP.

Which countries have you driven in that would be similar to Thailand? - i.e. not ex-commonwealth, and not formerly "administered" by the UK (like Egypt, Iraq, Israel), and not part of the EU. The USA is the only country I've driven in that's not in one of those groups that doesn't require an IDP with a UK licence. (Japan requires an IDP also...)

When in LOS I hire a car and am not normally asked for a driving licence. However, last week I was. I have licences from several countries and also had an International Permit - the car hire clerk said "that's the best one"!

I was stopped in many road blocks over the new year and it was obvious that the police had no idea what they were looking at - they were more interested in passport details. Some asked if I had a licence then did not want to see it!

I guess the situation may have been quite different had I been involved in a serious accident.

When in LOS I hire a car and am not normally asked for a driving licence. However, last week I was. I have licences from several countries and also had an International Permit - the car hire clerk said "that's the best one"!

I was stopped in many road blocks over the new year and it was obvious that the police had no idea what they were looking at - they were more interested in passport details. Some asked if I had a licence then did not want to see it!

I guess the situation may have been quite different had I been involved in a serious accident.

Thanks everybody.

I wasn't trying to stir up a hornets nest. I just couldn't see the benefit, and still can't.

If you were to submit your driving licence to the country to which you were travelling, and receive a copy in the local language, now thats a different thing.

Not to worry

Thanks again

Roger

Constable Plod and his friend cannot read much English, so it does not matter too much what you show at a plice road block.

The insurance company may take a diferent view if you have an accident.

They can refuse to pay out!!

For the sake of a fiver, worth having. The boys in brown are never interested in my UK licence, just the IDP (issued by the AA at the post office!).

I have my current IDP and an old one, give plod the old one (2 years out of date!) they just accept it!!

Yea, check your insurance, i discovered that i was not insured with just my uk license...

Very wise suggestion Pete. The Thai law allows you to drive in this country dependent upon your stay visa. If you are here on a tourist visa you can drive on your existing natural license. If you are here for more than a tourist term i.e three months, then you are required to have a IDP ( which is only valid for three months driving privaleges) beyond this you are require to have a Thai license, as you are considered more 'permánent'. If you are driving your own car, or a hire car on a license that no longer subscribes to the above reg's, you technically void your insurance cover.

Also, as acquiring a IDP is very easy, it is much better to give this to the filth or better still a scanned copy, so that when they decide to rip you off by keeping it on some trumped up violation, you can be on your way without delay or pocket dipped.

:o

Thanks everybody.

I wasn't trying to stir up a hornets nest. I just couldn't see the benefit, and still can't.

If you were to submit your driving licence to the country to which you were travelling, and receive a copy in the local language, now thats a different thing.

Not to worry

Thanks again

Roger

It's very easy :

* you stay here for a short time and rent a car, your national license is sufficient.

* you want to stay longer (visa extension),

buy a car

or rent a private car

you will need either an int. license or a thai license, (for insurance purposes only - the police don't care too much) which is relatively easy (and cheap) to get if you have a nonimmigrant visa (not on tourist visa) : since a couple of years farangs get the same timelimit for their license as thais:

first and second - one year, afterwards always 5 years