Uk Visitor Visa

My girlfriend is applying for a UK visitor visa.

What we'd like to know -

1. can her mother be the sponsor? If she can, what documents, and how much money do you think she'd need to show?

2. Accommodation - as I've just recently come back to the UK, I'm living at my parents house, I will state this in the invitation letter, but is this going to be a problem? another words - is it something that could cause the visa to be refused.

If there's anything else you need to know that can help you give a better answer, let me know.

Thanks, Boo =)

You will need a letter of invitation from your parents, proof of residence (utility bills) and pictures of the house will also help.

I have never heard of a Thai national being the sponsor and I don't see how this could be possible.

As you would be staying with your parents would it be possible that they could be her sponsors?

Are you working? Is she? You'll need a good reason that she will return to Thailand, work/uni etc.

You will need a letter of invitation from your parents, proof of residence (utility bills) and pictures of the house will also help.

I have never heard of a Thai national being the sponsor and I don't see how this could be possible.

As you would be staying with your parents would it be possible that they could be her sponsors?

Are you working? Is she? You'll need a good reason that she will return to Thailand, work/uni etc.

Thanks for replying.

Ah I see, yeh I could get the letter of invitation from my parents with proof of what you've mentioned, thanks.

I've just been living in Thailand for 2 years, and I closed my UK bank accounts while over there. I'm now working in the UK and plan to go back with her to Thailand this year (if she comes here)

She is in her 3rd year studying English major at Thammasat uni, this would be her main reason for returning to Thailand, plus she has her house over there, whether that's all a good enough reason for a return.

I don't understand why a Thai national (her mother) couldn't sponsor her. I thought the visa office just wanted to see that they have the money to cover the cost of their stay in the UK ? put it this way, what if she wasn't going to stay with me, but stay at a hotel - who would be her sponsor to show she can cover the cost of her stay?

I guess if it's the only way, then I'll ask my parents.

Some confusion over the word 'sponsor,' I think.

For a visa application a sponsor is the person who is supporting the applicant's application. That is offerring the applicant assistance, financial or otherwise, and providing support while in the UK. Visitors don't need to have a sponsor, but if they do have one then this person obviously needs to be a UK resident.

If your girlfriends mother is offerring to pay for her trip then she is not actually her daughter's sponsor. She is just offerring to finance the trip. This is fine, but she will need to provide evidence that she can afford to do so.

Some confusion over the word 'sponsor,' I think.

For a visa application a sponsor is the person who is supporting the applicant's application. That is offerring the applicant assistance, financial or otherwise, and providing support while in the UK. Visitors don't need to have a sponsor, but if they do have one then this person obviously needs to be a UK resident.

If your girlfriends mother is offerring to pay for her trip then she is not actually her daughter's sponsor. She is just offerring to finance the trip. This is fine, but she will need to provide evidence that she can afford to do so.

You're right, I was getting confused over the word 'sponsor' - thank you so much for making it clear :o