How To Start A Charty In Thailand

eddiemonster

Does anyone have any experience of starting a charity in Thailand?

Is it even possible for a farang?

Any idea what laws and regulations there are?

I am continuing my googling and research elsewhere, but if anybody would like to share their knowledge, advice, tips or information it would be greatly appreciated.

I recall after the Tsunami that there were hundreds of applications from Farangs to open chairty companies. I think most of the applications were blocked by Thai labour and employment office officials. Basically the labour office saw it for what it was. A bunch of Farangs wanting a long extended holiday.

Have met a huge number of NGOs in Cambodia. They found the process very easy.

The previous suggestion on this thread (opening a chairty via a wat) seems like a good way forward.

Edited by Geekfreaklover

Just remember to get a work permit.
"Work" means to engage in work by exerting energy or using knowledge whether or not in consideration of wages or other benefits.

Source: Ministry of labour

Yes, opening the charity company (or having employment) comes before being issued a work permit though.

There must be some TV members who work for or run NGOs in Thailand?

Edited by Geekfreaklover

Do it through a Wat and have the Monks as the official sponsors and everything will be much easier and cheaper. :o

excellent thought. i have come across to examples of "Foundations" in Thailand run by Farang, one indeed run by an Italian Buddhist monk, this may be the way to go

"Work" means to engage in work by exerting energy or using knowledge whether or not in consideration of wages or other benefits.

Yes, opening the charity company (or having employment) comes before being issued a work permit though.

My understanding is that to get a WP for a charity would require the same criteria as for a waged job. Can anyone confirm this?

My understanding is that to get a WP for a charity would require the same criteria as for a waged job. Can anyone confirm this?

Yes. You have to look at the creation of the company first. Once you have started a charity company (which I'm not sure you can actually do as a foreigner) maybe you need a Thai partner, a Buddhist monestry, as suggested for example to start the company. Only once the company is formed do you have to worry about the work permit.

Best to speak to a Thai lawyer.

Thanks for the replies, I am already speaking to a Thai lawyer about requirements for a charity/company set up.

The suggestions of involving the local Wat seem good and I will look into this.

I remember visiting a wildlife sanctuary near Hua Hin which was in partnership with their neighbouring temple. I will contact them to seek out their experience.

Anyone have any experience of working with the local Wat on any projects or know of anything similar that might be able to pass on their experiences?

All the best

EM

You have to remember that Thailand is awash with charities and collection of money for everything,so dont expect to collect much in Pattaya as we have had enough of charities.Getting to think some of these are scams for farangs,as they seem to scam everything else.