Australian Teenager Arrested For Smuggling Heroin To Sydney From Bangkok

sriracha john

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somebody asked why there are no sniffer dogs on view at Thailand's borders. I remember reading a report in the Bangkok Post that many of the Thai police dog handlers killed their dogs as they could not be bothered to take care of them as it was lambaak (tedious) and they didn't want to be a police dog handler but rather wanted to be any other kind of police officer that didn't have to take a dog everywhere.

I wonder if the Australian arrested here was of Vietnamese extraction as they are often involved in Australia's heroin trade.

Edited by Briggsy

Somebody asked why there are no sniffer dogs on view at Thailand's borders. I remember reading a report in the Bangkok Post that many of the Thai police dog handlers killed their dogs as they could not be bothered to take care of them as it was lambaak (tedious) and they didn't want to be a police dog handler but rather wanted to be any other kind of police officer that didn't have to take a dog everywhere.

Yeah just imagine you join the force hoping to get a gleaming nice motorbike to ride along the coast highway and all you get is a poodle.

Bummer.

this is what we have been told- and I would like my information to be updated if anyone know's the better

dogs can only be trained to smell one thing, or something very much the same

Not quite true, dogs can, and regularly are, trained to detect more than one type of drug, eg Cannabis & cocaine, they are also trained to sniff out large amounts of cash (I have a friend who is a police dog handler)

now dog's are mainly trained to sniff out bombs

Again, not quite true, dogs can be trained (amongst other animals) to sniff out many things, the dogs trained for explosives are associated to a different branch of police/anti-terrorist departments.

( which is pretty uselss seeing as though some semtex has zero smell, and how someone can actually drink nitro glycirin with no ill effect, then go and jump up and down on a plane and, ....boooom!- it is alot of window dressing, be under no illusion, if a nasty person wants to bring down a plane, they can)

nitroglycerin taken internaly is only 0.2% pure, it is used for several ailments mainly angina, if a person drank explosive quality nitroglycerine, they would probably explode getting out of the front door!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitro_glycerin

one thing I often hear, that is not so nice, is how much the criminals love 9-11, because they say how the governments resources are devoted to them

( eg in UK after cold war their version of CIA had department detailed for organised crime- now due to 9-11 its back to keeping the world safe- as per the way the brit's think it should be kept safe!)

I think you are about right on this point

a dog can only work well for apx 2/3 hours

No. a dog can keep working effectively for 8 hours, I asked this question myself, as I thought the sensitivity would detioriate after a while, but apperently not, the hard bit is keeping the dog interested!

it is so easy to nullify a dog's abilty to sniff out anything,my ex- BF was in army and told me way to do this- there are websites which include this infomation too

just as it is so easy to nullify the use of those fingerprints scanners ( as proven recently)

the professional criminals know all the way's-they boast about

one cocaine smuggler i spoke to told me how he actually went up to a dog in LA airport and petted it when he had alt of coke strapped round him( he was caught because of tip off)

another sad story

Sad because he was caught? or sad because there was a tip off? I am begining to worry about you!

I hope i have answered some of your questions.

FF

I'm not at all interested in trying such a stupid stunt. I just wonder with the thousands of people passing through immigration how they are able to catch the guilty ones. I imagine for every one they catch 100 get through but it's still pretty impressive when they make a catch. Since there had to be something that made them suspicious enough to x ray his shoes. I agree with those who said it was probably the body language, I also wonder how often they are tipped off.

he knew quite well what he was doing, he hid it in his shoe, I hope he enjoyed smoking some whilst he contemplating the big tiger, what a fool, hang him and spare the drug users who would buy from his dealer...<deleted> deserve all they get, <deleted> criminal cnuts. I wish he would have been caught the thai side, the guy got off easy.

The man will face Sydney Central Local Court to face the charges, which carry a maximum penalty of 25 years jail and/or a $550,000 fine.

For a non-lawyer: What does that mean? Is it possible to buy one's way out of jail in Australia?

You see it is things like this incident with what is clearly a poorly made 'copy' tennis shoe (or 'runner' to you people of that persuasion) which makes me wear shoes like this EVERY time I fly internationally.

As other posters have mentioned, possibly the "sacrificial lamb" so the majority of the shipment can get thru. It is a well known fact that almost all of the yaa-baa sold in thailand comes from burma, yet only about a shipment a month is 'intercepted' by the oh-so astute border police north of Chiang Mai.

All joking aside; a pretty stupid stunt for a 19 y/o to pull, but one that will hopefully give him ample opportunity to contemplate the error in his ways.

post-26360-1231859785_thumb.jpg

Another perfect thread for ourmaninbangers. Should keep him/her active for a while. :o

I am here everyone and I promise not to let you all down!

this poor young man, totally unable to think for himself, probably abused as a child deserve our sympathy and compassion

lets now sit in prayer, hug a tree, and make a donation's

naaa instead... lets flog the little cun_t, put him in a workhouse for 20 year's, then shoot him!

better still...torture him to death.And his family too, publicly!

I'm partial to a bit of SM myself we dutch are you, and you should see our neighbours- the germans's!

Can I join the hang'em high club now please?

joking aside( although I am partial to of SM) it certainly show's that there is no shortage of these sorts of people

and thus, may I say, this is why we need to change a few things...

off to devote more of my time to some totally unworthy scumbag!

kisses

bangers, i like reading your posts but OBVIOUSLY this post is by HIM not HER! not that it's any of my business but having 2 people share 1 user name with totally different opinions makes for confusion hehehehe unless you are 1 and bi-polar or something... :-)

it's another story we've all heard before and will hear again. blows my mind that anyone would be retarded enough to try and smuggle heroin across an international border. we all know the penalty if caught, my sympathy is pretty low for this dude. here's a thought: get a job you moron! what compels someone to mule drugs? well the answer is GREED! hope he likes sodomy. plenty of that in his well thought out future

The man will face Sydney Central Local Court to face the charges, which carry a maximum penalty of 25 years jail and/or a $550,000 fine.

For a non-lawyer: What does that mean? Is it possible to buy one's way out of jail in Australia?

The short answer is no,

FF

this is what we have been told- and I would like my information to be updated if anyone know's the better

Not quite true, dogs can, and regularly are, trained to detect more than one type of drug, eg Cannabis & cocaine, they are also trained to sniff out large amounts of cash (I have a friend who is a police dog handler)

Again, not quite true, dogs can be trained (amongst other animals) to sniff out many things, the dogs trained for explosives are associated to a different branch of police/anti-terrorist departments.

( which is pretty uselss seeing as though some semtex has zero smell, and how someone can actually drink nitro glycirin with no ill effect, then go and jump up and down on a plane and, ....boooom!- it is alot of window dressing, be under no illusion, if a nasty person wants to bring down a plane, they can)

nitroglycerin taken internaly is only 0.2% pure, it is used for several ailments mainly angina, if a person drank explosive quality nitroglycerine, they would probably explode getting out of the front door!

one thing I often hear, that is not so nice, is how much the criminals love 9-11, because they say how the governments resources are devoted to them

( eg in UK after cold war their version of CIA had department detailed for organised crime- now due to 9-11 its back to keeping the world safe- as per the way the brit's think it should be kept safe!)

No. a dog can keep working effectively for 8 hours, I asked this question myself, as I thought the sensitivity would detioriate after a while, but apperently not, the hard bit is keeping the dog interested!

it is so easy to nullify a dog's abilty to sniff out anything,my ex- BF was in army and told me way to do this- there are websites which include this infomation too

just as it is so easy to nullify the use of those fingerprints scanners ( as proven recently)

one cocaine smuggler i spoke to told me how he actually went up to a dog in LA airport and petted it when he had alt of coke strapped round him( he was caught because of tip off)

another sad story

Sad because he was caught? or sad because there was a tip off? I am begining to worry about you!

FF

Tks FatherF you said the true and answer for me...my english is not so good for replay like you

I'm not at all interested in trying such a stupid stunt. I just wonder with the thousands of people passing through immigration how they are able to catch the guilty ones. I imagine for every one they catch 100 get through but it's still pretty impressive when they make a catch. Since there had to be something that made them suspicious enough to x ray his shoes. I agree with those who said it was probably the body language, I also wonder how often they are tipped off.

welcome to the real world....but please body language...if you see the people afraid to fly after a fly what do you think? they have 100 kg of heroin?

Medellin teach to all world, send 1 give to the police and 10 arrive safe.

Edited by oceano

Regarding the tip-off theory, we've all heard that if more than one person knows a secret it is not really a secret. Anyone in the know could be a confidential informant working off a criminal charge or snitching for money.

Upon arrival a passenger is first scrutinized with CCTV cameras, some which detect heat coming off of the individual passengers. This is technology goes far beyond the type used a few years ago during the SARS crisis.

We have all heard of profiling smugglers and profiling for other crimes. Before retiring to Thailand I had teams of people schooled in what only could be described as an art working airport arrivals specifically. These teams were there to augment customs and immigration and worked domestic arrivals as well. The number one tool at their disposal was instinct and then the gift of gab. Flying domestically in the US no one has to speak to these people hence all contacts we call consensual encounters. With just a question or two the passenger would be judged a person of interest or not. If further conversation was needed the passenger was usually searched, after giving permission, and taken to jail. International flights are a whole different game and assessment and the gift of gab is important but the rules of search and seizure are very different.

If we stop to think about it, a 19 year old flying in from Bangkok with a slight limp, perhaps a little overheated after flying for hours in an icebox, looking left and right, seemingly a bit nervous at the first check point. Dead man walking. Even if his shoes size was a 6 that is enough heroin for personal use for a year. A presumptive test was conducted on the white powder that was discovered in the shoe which is 100% accurate for the presence of heroin. Further tests as to purity will be done at the leisure of the authorities for the court case.

Australian Customs routinely obtain passenger lists from the airlines and run them through the computers before the flight arrives. Particularly from high risk ports, ie Bangkok!

It's very probable that a 19yo drug smuggler has had previous drug convictions and he could have been singled out for close attention before he even touched down.

another sad story

FF

thanking you for feedback

it is sad for so many reason's..

1- sad that part of young life will be wasted 2- sad that his friend's family will suffer 3- sad in jail he will become a better criminal 4- sad because of the wasted tax payer's money 5- sad that this trade goes on and the current ways of dealing with it are so totally failed, the mafia get richer's, the poor poorer, death assocoiated with drugs abuse,the tax payers moneys all wasted

and no end in sight

what do you mean about worry with me_ ?I did not the understad

thanking you for feedback

it is sad for so many reason's..

1- sad that part of young life will be wasted 2- sad that his friend's family will suffer 3- sad in jail he will become a better criminal 4- sad because of the wasted tax payer's money 5- sad that this trade goes on and the current ways of dealing with it are so totally failed, the mafia get richer's, the poor poorer, death assocoiated with drugs abuse,the tax payers moneys all wasted

and no end in sight

what do you mean about worry with me_ ?I did not the understad

I think the only “sad” thing about this affair is that he knowingly attempted to import an illegal drug into Australia, it is far too late for him to start lamenting his misfortune, he was fully aware that what he was doing was illegal, and now, as a result of his own actions, must face the consequences.

I think it is just your English phrasing Bangers, and maybe I misinterpreted the real meaning of what you are trying to say.

FF

it's another story we've all heard before and will hear again. blows my mind that anyone would be retarded enough to try and smuggle heroin across an international border. we all know the penalty if caught, my sympathy is pretty low for this dude. here's a thought: get a job you moron! what compels someone to mule drugs? well the answer is GREED! hope he likes sodomy. plenty of that in his well thought out future

bi-sexual actually, what is bipolar?

my aussie fiend say he donuts that he will see more than 2 year's behind bar's- of this I have no idea, can anyone advice me?

people smuggle drugs because it is a job, the brits made this a very lucrative one out of it.. gotta love them for that..

"buy our smack or we'll bomb the crap outta ya..."

despite the hype the vast majority of smugglers get away with it, much, much less that 1 in 100 get caught

and it hugely, vastly rewarding ( look at much the camorra alone is estomate to make from this per year)

read " crime in asia" by bernd little for more insight

for someone from a poor background and little prospect's it make sense to them

this is why we need a toal re=evaluation of current policys

most people are motivated by greed- therein lie's part of the answer of we should readdress this

Regarding the tip-off theory, we've all heard that if more than one person knows a secret it is not really a secret. Anyone in the know could be a confidential informant working off a criminal charge or snitching for money.

Upon arrival a passenger is first scrutinized with CCTV cameras, some which detect heat coming off of the individual passengers. This is technology goes far beyond the type used a few years ago during the SARS crisis.

We have all heard of profiling smugglers and profiling for other crimes. Before retiring to Thailand I had teams of people schooled in what only could be described as an art working airport arrivals specifically. These teams were there to augment customs and immigration and worked domestic arrivals as well. The number one tool at their disposal was instinct and then the gift of gab. Flying domestically in the US no one has to speak to these people hence all contacts we call consensual encounters. With just a question or two the passenger would be judged a person of interest or not. If further conversation was needed the passenger was usually searched, after giving permission, and taken to jail. International flights are a whole different game and assessment and the gift of gab is important but the rules of search and seizure are very different.

If we stop to think about it, a 19 year old flying in from Bangkok with a slight limp, perhaps a little overheated after flying for hours in an icebox, looking left and right, seemingly a bit nervous at the first check point. Dead man walking. Even if his shoes size was a 6 that is enough heroin for personal use for a year. A presumptive test was conducted on the white powder that was discovered in the shoe which is 100% accurate for the presence of heroin. Further tests as to purity will be done at the leisure of the authorities for the court case.

did you work with peter jenkin's on your work?

are you from the UK?

I obtained the UK/USA profiling guideline's ( one can also buy the books "drug smuggling- the forbidden book' and simelar to teach how to elude

I would say they would only be of use to the complete fool's

and would have zero affect on any smuggler with half a brain

^5555

so, if i can ask, what do you think should be done to these people? or i guess you think something should be done to the laws right? make all drugs legal?

just curious.

anth

I wonder if the Australian arrested here was of Vietnamese extraction as they are often involved in Australia's heroin trade.

When I picked my partner up from Suvarnabhumi on Boxing Day I saw some uniformed officers with dogs. They appeared to be sniffer dogs patrolling the area before passengers came to the meeting point. So I am sure they exist.

Also in Australia and many other Jurisdictions , dogs are used well out of view of passengers, especially as luggage is loaded onto conveyors from aircraft.

In Australia there are so many layers to customs and immigrations procedures it is daunting. Often much of it is unseen and unheard, this is why it is so effective.

Profiling. A 19 year old teenager returning alone from a country where drugs are easily available would be an indicator for a closer look.

Behavior. People are closely watched all the way through the process from disembarking to leaving the Customs area. Anyone looking nervous, confused or acting in any manner which may be perceived to be unusual would be another indicator.

Passport Control. The officer at passport control makes several decisions at that time, he decided whether you deserve some extra attentions from customs officers at this point. Again behavior is one indicator as is length of travel, countries visited, frequency of travel, etc. From experience I already know at this point whether I am going to have to join the often lengthy queue for a customs inspection or whether I can simply walk out. There have been times where my entry card has been marked and I just know that Im going to join a queue.

Customs Hall. Dogs patrol the customs hall sniffing, customs officers watch for suspicious behavior, observations are made about how much luggage you have, how it looks packed, what you are wearing and so on.

Customs Inspection: If you have nothing to declare but still need to join the customs inspection queue then you are again watched in the queue, cameras are everywhere. Officers on the ground make observations about your demeanor. When reaching inspection your bags may be x-rayed. Your bags may be searched. Your behavior is continually monitored. All sorts of decisions are made at different levels without you even realising it.

The levels of checking and monitoring are deep and numerous. Australian Customs are very good at what they do and despite this I am sure much passes through undetected but it really is Russian Roulette if you want to break the law and try importing something illegal.

I remember getting off the plane from Bangkok and being redirected right out of the gate by Customs Officers who made every passenger form a single file queue and walk 1 foot from the other person as two sniffer dogs went up and down the queue. I watched a couple of the officers and there was as much attention being paid to peoples behavior as there was from the dog having a bit of a sniff.

However as a law abiding citizen I have nothing to fear from Australian Customs , however I am paranoid about my bags and use locks and plastic wrap to minimize the chance that something is put into my bag without my knowledge. I will say though, even being law abiding and taking measures to minimize outside interference with my luggage I often feel very much under scrutiny so any experienced traveller would know that Australia would be the last place on earth you would want to try getting something past customs.

I just love these threads and especially all the sad sacks who get their rocks off when some poor sod gets caught with dope.

What kind of life must you have where you get pleasure in others misfortunes?

You would be much better venting your outrage at the real criminals in this world like many of the corporate criminals who are in a large part responsible for the economic meltdown that we are currently experiencing.

I just love these threads and especially all the sad sacks who get their rocks off when some poor sod gets caught with dope.

You would be much better venting your outrage at the real criminals in this world like many of the corporate criminals who are in a large part responsible for the economic meltdown that we are currently experiencing.

Since when has heroin been classed as dope? :o

I dont take any pleasure in someones misfortune, but this aint misfortune. Its good fortune to normal law abiding citizens.Suggest you wake up and smell the coffee, or else go meet up with ourmaninbangers and comfort each other with equally far fetched tales of bleeding heart liberalism.Its a marriage made in heaven :D

I dont take any pleasure in someones misfortune, but this aint misfortune. Its good fortune to normal law abiding citizens.Suggest you wake up and smell the coffee, or else go meet up with ourmaninbangers and comfort each other with equally far fetched tales of bleeding heart liberalism.Its a marriage made in heaven :D

From the Urban Dictionary for your edification and enlightenment.

3. Dope

Is a "slang" word for Heroin. Since heroin is 'considered' the lowest form of drug addiction.

Yawn yawn, save you righteous indignation for something worthy of it.

A teenager gets caught smuggling drugs at the airport......news story of very low importance or value IMHO

From the Urban Dictionary for your edification and enlightenment.

3. Dope

Is a "slang" word for Heroin. Since heroin is 'considered' the lowest form of drug addiction.

Yawn yawn, save you righteous indignation for something worthy of it.

A teenager gets caught smuggling drugs at the airport......news story of very low importance or value IMHO

Obviously you and I have different moral standards.

Managed to find 'dope' in that Urban Dictionary you mentioned (right next to douche bag and dumbass)

Interesting that it states, quote, "People who do not do drugs call Marajuanna dope. People who do marajuanna call heroin dope"

So I guess we mix in different social circles also :D

no sir, maybe it my bad english, why do you hate me so? what have I done? ddi you try to sllep with me once, are you that man with glasses I slapped at bed supper?

misfortune.. who IT IS YOURS!

how to define?, that normal law abiding citezen will end up paying for a criminal education which costs them much more in the long run run and plays right into the mafia hand's- call that good fortune? yes, the corrupt love this

I simply would like to see policy's that work, fair and just, sensible law's and punishments prescribed

support for the police on the street by politician who know their stuff and do not care if it win's then vote's- that does not happen much both here and many place's

can you tell me which of my tale's are far fetched?

are you calling me a liar?

are you a man who will back his word's? you must have reason to say this

the is the mark, the test of someone who should be heard....very few are people of substance theseday's, they talk, and run...are you one of these's? lets see...

would you like to test me on anything?, do you just make the noise and hide on the forum, my papa taught me this..

never say anything you would not say to someones face's or bet alot of money on( hence I always say this-it makes the sheep run and hide)

I am scared to be accused of boasting, but maybe you would like some proof of the result's of my work and once again, seeing as though you are so sure I am the liar why not place a little bet- all money to charity, lets start at 10,000,000 baht- I do not expect to hear from you again, so please, keep thing civil,,,,

what have you to lose? you freely made a statement and I am sure you are someone who know's of what they talk.... and you wish for people to heed and respect your,now show us that we should listen to you and heed you by backing you word's and let us seewhat you are made off...

you will not, you cannot, you may make some cheeky answer, but do this and you will lose- you know this, so why make these silly little remarks, who in your way of thinking looks silly now? can we not work together, are we not on same side really?

lets stop this, I have spanked you enough, I love to beat you male's at your own game's...

I certainly make the mistakes sometimes and do not know all the answer's ( but I do know who and when to place bets with and to sure of my case before I do....take note of this please)

but I do know this

that there are so many in jail right now who should not be there, and who aren't who should, huge amount's of tax payer's , crime increase, etc, etc

and nothing, NOTHING will can be achieved by making things personal,infighting, going off track...and silly incorrect remarks made by anyone not prepared to back up ( my bf says other than making you look a tosser- I like watching men do that, well, some anyway!)

^5555

so, if i can ask, what do you think should be done to these people? or i guess you think something should be done to the laws right? make all drugs legal?

just curious.

anth

thanks for ask me this- wanna know the true...?I honestly do not know exactly the right way and what will work to full extent

but what I do know ,see, believe - that prisons teach criminal to be better, that huge moneys wasted, but made by corruption men who almost never get caught, and if, get out very soon,

that the police on the streets here by and large are the mafia and the good one's who have to deal with this evil have their hand's tied by political correctness in the west and here by the modus operandi,

good cop's cannot do proper job and innocent people in jail,etc,etc

I could give you the ekhart toole answer.. that would take too long

to be specific, for this young man we must first take very close look at everything..all the fact's...is he addict? was he pushed, forced,,,,bullied, although he is 19, remember he is an austalian, thus we are talking about a mere child

after this he must face some fair consequence's, he must see that he is being treated fairly, humanely, and despite that he still must make atonements

that even the" bleeding heart liberal like me" does not say " poor little thing ,off you go..." no, no, no

nothing is worse that this actually

some tightly controled community work under strict condition, curfew in secure centre

one chance and one only- break it and...it hurts me to say this... but one has a duty to the masses to save them from people who cannot be helped, and yes, I have seen some,

for violent murdere's

time to say goodbye- life, and by that mean life, not his life and out n a few year's, in a secure humane enviroment

forgive me Lord... You throw so many rotten egg's at us...I see no other way

it breaks my heart

r330089_1487260.jpg

The charges carry a maximum penalty of 25 years jail. (Australian Federal Police)

Teen charged with smuggling heroin in shoes

Customs officers in Sydney last night caught a teenager trying to smuggle heroin hidden in his shoes from Thailand. The 19-year-old man was stopped for questioning when he arrived at Sydney Airport on a flight from Bangkok last night.

During an examination of the man's bags, officers say they became suspicious that the man may be concealing something in his shoes. The officers X-rayed the shoes and when they pierced the soles they found a white powder hidden inside.

The Australian Federal Police (AFP) have charged the man with importing a marketable quantity of a border-controlled drug. This charge relates to quantities ranging from two to 750 grams.

The AFP say they will do further testing to confirm the substance is heroin and to find the exact weight and purity.

- ABC News (Australia) / 1 hour ago

I just can not feel sorry for people like that, everyone knows that this is not right and what kind of risks that are involved, so when they get caught they just have to suck it up!