Yellow Corn Protective Jackets

monkeyofdoom

The shop where I bought my new Arai helmet also carries Yellow Corn protective mesh jackets. They are around 13000 baht with armor and detachable inner windbreaker. Anybody care to share their experiences with this brand?

I'm new to the bike brands so any good advice on all round jackets for driving a Ninja 250R would be appreciated. Anything in particular to look out for? Thanks!

I looked at those jackets as well and quite liked them except for the fact that they are all mobile bill boards with the logo plastered over every square inch, shame. They had a another brand without all the crap at half price, unfortunately it was too small, cough cough, for my manly frame.

The shop where I bought my new Arai helmet also carries Yellow Corn protective mesh jackets. They are around 13000 baht with armor and detachable inner windbreaker. Anybody care to share their experiences with this brand?

I'm new to the bike brands so any good advice on all round jackets for driving a Ninja 250R would be appreciated. Anything in particular to look out for? Thanks!

personally, i like the look. i like the patches, etc.... but nothing beats leather dude. put in another 8 or 10,000b and get a leather jacket. if you ever do wipe out nylon will stick to you like glue and it's finished after that. leather is for life. brit bikes (RCA) and fast corner (Rama III) sell the alpine star leather jackets. great value.

how big are you? can buy the yoshi leather jacket i'm selling on thai visa classifieds :-p

Fast Corner, huh?

Yellowcorn seems popular with the hi-so Thai riders.

brit bikes (RCA) and fast corner (Rama III) sell the alpine star leather jackets. great value.
How much were they? A red Alpinestars leather jacket that's sold for about 400$US (14,000฿+) on the internet is selling for 40,000฿ at the Paddock.

If I had to wear leather only I would end up not wearing it.. Phuket is much hotter then up north and down here I would simply melt in a leather setup.

I have a mesh rocket thats a size too big and a tex alpinestars thats perfect but hotter, I end up in the mesh more often then not even tho I prefer the A'Stars.. Next time up north tho its the A'Stars thats coming.

Personally I would go size it locally and purchase online or ebay..

In the event of a crash, the mesh jacket that you are wearing will protect you better than the leather jacket that's sitting in your closet because it is too hot to wear. Does mesh protect as well as leather? Maybe, maybe not. Is mesh better than wearing just a T-shirt? 100% yes. The jacket I wear the majority of the time is the mesh jacket, and not my leathers. I think that having a good set of leathers is a good idea, but the reality of the situation is you just can't deal with it all the time, and if you only have leathers, there is the temptation that you will leave it at home on those hot days. Buy some mesh that you like. And yes, buy it off of ebay or online to save some dough. Good motorcycle equipment in Thailand is expensive.

Fast Corner, huh?

Yellowcorn seems popular with the hi-so Thai riders.

brit bikes (RCA) and fast corner (Rama III) sell the alpine star leather jackets. great value.
How much were they? A red Alpinestars leather jacket that's sold for about 400$US (14,000฿+) on the internet is selling for 40,000฿ at the Paddock.

i picked up an alpine star stunt jacket, full leather with good vents for 23k at brit bikes. great jacket.

buying online spooks me a bit because of the sizing issue. i have 2 nylon jackets as well but after being caught in the rain i just don't wear it anymore. i find the leather not that hot once you get moving. don't get me wrong, stopped at a light wearing leathers sucks but a worth while sacrifice.

then again i suppose what type of riding we're talking about. i guess mesh is fine for blasting around bkk. as submaniac said.....mesh offers better protection than leather if it's hanging in your closet.

I agree w/ the posters above who recommend mesh. Most of the time, it's just too hot for leather in Thailand. I'd never wear it. I do have a First Gear mesh jacket w/ removable liner. It's very well constructed w/ padding at all the strategic places. The air flow keeps it pretty cool when you're moving. I like it a lot.

Most of the time, it's just too hot for leather in Thailand. I'd never wear it.
I think leather would be okay whilst moving but while stopped it'll be a bit rough, especially in Bangkok traffic. I've seen some big bike-riding Thais in leather jackets in the provinces.

What about perforated leather? Does anyone here wear this?

I've ordered one off the internet. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Leather is the deal, you get them vented and perforated so they're livable when the bike is moving. As for mesh jackets the one I use is good when moving but man it sucks as well in red lights. I got an Alpinestar mesh where you can zip it on your mesh pants and it has straps to tighten the CE armor so they and the jacket don't slide if you go tarmac. Most mesh jackets don't have this and it shears off your skin if you dump the bike. Just something to keep in mind. Best there is without any doubt is leather, the mesh is OK for city use and popping to the mall. For anything else go leather if you can.

Cheers Bard

i picked up an alpine star stunt jacket, full leather with good vents for 23k at brit bikes. great jacket.
Is that just 'Stunt' or 'Stunt2? Online, 'Stunt' goes for 200$US :D .

What most do is try it for size here, then order online. Even if hit with customs duties, you still should save a fair bit.

Where is BritBikes exactly? They don't seem to have a website.

Dirt Shop are 'advertising' (not necessarily in stock! :o ) the Stunt2 jacket at 19,900฿. Online around 370$US, about 13,000฿.

What most do is try it for size here, then order online. Even if hit with customs duties, you still should save a fair bit.

Dirt Shop are 'advertising' (not necessarily in stock! :o ) the Stunt2 jacket at 19,900฿. Online around 370$US, about 13,000฿.

stunt2. either way sounds like i got ripped off hehehe but i was desperate at the time, my yoshi is slightly to big and that bothered me at higher speeds.

britbikes is in RCA, if you come in from petchaburi hang a left into RCA and it's about 200m from there on the left side.

I recall reading a road test or track test in which some thick denim or modern hi-tech material protected as well as leather. But I did not believe it. I bought my share of leather jackets and jeans. Drove from Houston to Memphis one day, 40 degrees C in the shade, 45 degrees on the road, and I literally wrung the water out of my leather pants when I got to Memphis. Wear 'em if you got 'em, if you can stand 'em.

It depends what kind of riding you do. Including car trips, 95% of mine now is around town, on my bike. Run to the swimming pool, the pub, 7-11, often in moderate traffic, often where the tarmac is 42 degrees C. Too hot for full leathers. Almost too hot for any jacket or for long pants. Cannot remember falling down when I wore leathers. Just when I had skimpy clothing on..

Dont trust dirt shop for shit (tho can say the same about any biz in Thailand no ??)..

They had 'daytona' tex's advertised, I emailed them and they sent photos.. I asked if they had 2xl and 3xl.. They did, when they wouldnt give me a return policy I said I would fly up.. And would they 100% sure keep one of both sizes in the store for a certain day. Booked tickets, flew, to find out was all lies.. They didnt have any over XL, they denied my emails and didnt know who could possibly have written them, then did typical Thai style and ran out the back of the shop.. fuc_kin <deleted> !!

Long way from Phuket to get messed about.

It depends what kind of riding you do. Including car trips, 95% of mine now is around town, on my bike. Run to the swimming pool, the pub, 7-11, often in moderate traffic, often where the tarmac is 42 degrees C. Too hot for full leathers.

Up there in chilly Chiang Mai ???

Try it in the daytime humidity of the islands !!

Thanks for all the great advice. I get the point about leather being more durable, but I definitely want to be comfortable in the heat, and mesh should be best for that. I figure that if I'm comfortable standing still at red lights too, I'll be more likely to wear it on the shorter trips around town, simply getting more use (and thus protection) out of it. If I do take a spill and the jacket gets messed up, I'll buy a new one and know it's worth it. I imagine even a leather jacket would look pretty scruffy after a slide.

My GF wants me to buy the bright yellow billboard style, but I'd feel like an idiot as soon as I got off my bike :o

Any shop around Chiang Mai apart from Fast Corner that has a good selection of jackets? I have the GT rider link of shops, but it's hard to see which ones are good for jackets...

I don't know about 'copies' of alpinestars...the real alpinestars are expensive because they use very good materials and do alot of testing on their gear. I just wouldn't trust an unknown brand. And I have no idea about "Yellow Corn"...I have tried to google it to no avail. All I pull up is like...actual corn (the vegetable). The brands I know (for both leather and mesh) are Alpinestars, Dainese (the two premium/expensive brands), Icon, Joe Rocket, and Fieldsheer. I have something made from each brand (except Dainese) and can vouch for their quality.

I would also like to add that I think mesh would be suitable for Thailand. If I am doing a 200 foot slide (like the motogp), yeah I would like to be wearing leather. But for BKK, I really am not going that fast and the crash is not going to be a long slide kind of crash (most likely I would hit a curb, car, tree or lamp post before that happened) and I think mesh is suitable for the low speed type of crash that I will most likely have.

I think taichalik market near the border do some decent 'copies' of alpinestar jackets. saw a thread on gt about them. maybe give some one a call.

Allan

Are they even copies.. I heard they were out the back of a chinese factory..

You see that in Indo a lot.. Theres copies (lower grade) and illegitimate sourced stuff.. Loads of Indo nike sport shoe makers etc and 'lost' containers..

Agreed, I would question the quality of any copies. Tachilek, for example, is in Myanmar, not Thailand. I got ripped off on a few CD;s there once, and have no idea how to check for threads per square mm, quality of material, etc. Even the Nolan helmets I buy in Chiang Mai must be copies.

I don't know about 'copies' of alpinestars...the real alpinestars are expensive because they use very good materials and do alot of testing on their gear. I just wouldn't trust an unknown brand. And I have no idea about "Yellow Corn"...I have tried to google it to no avail. All I pull up is like...actual corn (the vegetable). The brands I know (for both leather and mesh) are Alpinestars, Dainese (the two premium/expensive brands), Icon, Joe Rocket, and Fieldsheer. I have something made from each brand (except Dainese) and can vouch for their quality.

I would also like to add that I think mesh would be suitable for Thailand. If I am doing a 200 foot slide (like the motogp), yeah I would like to be wearing leather. But for BKK, I really am not going that fast and the crash is not going to be a long slide kind of crash (most likely I would hit a curb, car, tree or lamp post before that happened) and I think mesh is suitable for the low speed type of crash that I will most likely have.

Yellowcorn is a Japanese brand.

Yellowcorn

When i lived in southern spain it was very hot in the summer, and most of the time i was ok with a lighter weight perforated leather 2 pc suit, bought at second hand shop in uk. if i was crawling in heavy traffic in towns i just opened up the zips. Now i use a dianese gortex etc armoured jacket, but dont know it is any cooler than my old leathers..

how big are you? can buy the yoshi leather jacket i'm selling on thai visa classifieds :-p

I'm 180cm tall and pretty skinny, seems like L is usually my size. Link?

A favorite with YOUNG HI-SO Thai's.

Nuff Said

So dismiss a brand because young rich Thais buy it? I'd have to stop shopping in Thailand :o

But seriously, there are both the billboard style jackets and the dark plain ones... I guess the 'corny' ones are more noticeable and make the wearer look goofy.

I looked at those jackets as well and quite liked them except for the fact that they are all mobile bill boards with the logo plastered over every square inch, shame. They had a another brand without all the crap at half price, unfortunately it was too small, cough cough, for my manly frame.

My thoughts exactly, you are a walking, talking advert with one of those things on.

There is a great 2nd hand biker gear places off the moat road heading North East on your left.

Very decent biker leathers in there.

If you want more info just PM me for detailed instructions