Best Place In Phuket

Franklin

Hey guys,

Just wandering where in your opinion is the best place to stay, close to the shops, market and beach. I dont want to stay on a beach where it is too crowded, yet I've read there are plenty of markets in Phuket. Just wandering wheres the best market and cheapest?

Cheers

Gimme Chalong, ambience is great, VERY FEW tourists.

Lotsa dive people, boat trips.

Markets, best is Rawai, jump on ya scooter.

Tesco Lotus there for the the ones who do not favour local market foods.

Lotsa small Thai owned shops, my choice.

An abundance of good restaurants, and of course the night hawker stalls, fab food.

Many bars with most ameniable gals.

NO BEACH, but Kata and Karon 25Baht bus ride away, or jump on ya scooter.

Best of all, all the Patong rip off merchants, katoeys and tuk tuks are missing.

Gimme Chalong, ambience is great, VERY FEW tourists.

Lotsa dive people, boat trips.

Markets, best is Rawai, jump on ya scooter.

Tesco Lotus there for the the ones who do not favour local market foods.

Lotsa small Thai owned shops, my choice.

An abundance of good restaurants, and of course the night hawker stalls, fab food.

Many bars with most ameniable gals.

NO BEACH, but Kata and Karon 25Baht bus ride away, or jump on ya scooter.

Best of all, all the Patong rip off merchants, katoeys and tuk tuks are missing.

There is the best beach which i believe to be in phuket, Nai Harn.

Gimme Chalong, ambience is great.......

Rip-off merchants - Agreed.

Katoeys - You obviously don't get around much.

Tuk-tuks - True, but, we do have the best violent robbers and burglars on the island.

From what the OP asks, I think he may find Chalong a little too quiet. Kata or Karon may be more to his taste, or perhaps Patong off Nanai. As to places to stay, it depends upon your needs. An abundance of places to be found by googling. If you want specific recommendations, tell us what sort of accom you want, your price range and your length of stay.

The best beaches IMO are Mai Khao, up past the airport:

P1010794.JPG

and Sai Kaew up a little further. Of course, there's bugger all there apart from some small restaurants on the beach at Sai Kaew.

But if you want triple rows of sun loungers, sun screen soaked tourists and accompanied odours and noises, then Nai Harn, Patong, Kata and Karon are for you! :o

Thailand_patong_beach.jpg

The best beaches IMO are Mai Khao, up past the airport:

and Sai Kaew up a little further. Of course, there's bugger all there apart from some small restaurants on the beach at Sai Kaew.

But if you want triple rows of sun loungers, sun screen soaked tourists and accompanied odours and noises, then Nai Harn, Patong, Kata and Karon are for you! :o

although more building up that way, sssssssshhhhhhhhh!

If you aren't big on swimming in sewage runoff, like being close to shopping, a variety of eating and lots of farangs, and an intense sex trade, Patong can work.

I like Karon but people have some legit criticisms, particularly the high density and noise. However, if I take a tip from some of Thai friends; in the past year one moved to Rawai for a job and is happy living there. Surprising too, because he's 23 and I wonder why he moved to the place that I call the undertaker's waiting room, but he says he likes the calm. One of my best friends moved to Kamala where he works. His initial motive was to move in with his g/f but he really likes the place now. Originally from Issan, he says he prefers it to the chronic filth of Patong. He has been bugging me to move there saying I can still run to carrefour if I am that much of a baby, but after awhile I'll get to like it like him. Dunno, he's the one with the cute TGF, not me, so maybe that helps. :o

Gimme Chalong, ambience is great.......

Rip-off merchants - Agreed.

Katoeys - You obviously don't get around much.

Tuk-tuks - True, but, we do have the best violent robbers and burglars on the island.

I get around all I need, I come to Chalong to opt out of the rat race, and still be in a reasonably civilised burgh.

My fave beach is Nai Harn, git on ya scooter....LOL.

I suggested Kata and Karon for possibly more young'uns lifestyle.

Fell off in the carpark last time under trees at Nai Harn..... grrrrr......... I was stationary.

So easy to go places from Chalong, real crossroads, despite the loss of the circle.

The Circle fountain is still there in spirit.

ON's Bar, is my Phuket bar of choice for 5 years now, great lady, looks after me swell.

Not had the badluck to meet foot/nitepads or any bad person........ yet.

...Rawai ...the undertaker's waiting room...
:o
although more building up that way, sssssssshhhhhhhhh!

Yes - major resorts being built. Bl00dy shame. :D I pity the Thais who live up there and now have cement lorries and builders trucks trundling by all day.

Nice post Pete. Sounds to me like they should adapt the drink-driving warning to your circumstances - 'Don't drink and then try to remain stationary on a motorbike'. (Bet you felt sheepish.) :D

It was one of ON's bikes.

Neva had a beer, nuffin'.

Have to get one with trainer wheels next trip.

:o ........... :D ........ :D ........ :D .......

.............shhhhhhhhhh, neva told ON.....................

Edited by Zpete

From what the OP asks, I think he may find Chalong a little too quiet. Kata or Karon may be more to his taste, or perhaps Patong off Nanai. As to places to stay, it depends upon your needs. An abundance of places to be found by googling. If you want specific recommendations, tell us what sort of accom you want, your price range and your length of stay.

Preferably 3 star+, with a budget of 1500 - 2500THB. Length of stay 10 nights, and preferably close to cheap clothing markets, where I wont get ripped off. Also nice food where there is nice food :o

The beach maybe within close walkin distance, but not too important.

Cheers

Edited by Franklin

Nice post Pete. Sounds to me like they should adapt the drink-driving warning to your circumstances - 'Don't drink and then try to remain stationary on a motorbike'. (Bet you felt sheepish.) :D

It was one of ON's bikes.

Neva had a beer, nuffin'.

Have to get one with trainer wheels next trip.

:o ........... :D ........ :D ........ :D .......

.............shhhhhhhhhh, neva told ON.....................

The very first time I went to Phuket, I hired a motorbike. Took it to the beach, went swimming, returned to the bike - no key. Searched for the key for quarter of an hour or so, but no chance. Walked back to the bike shop, told the bloke behind the jump and he said, 'You give me 500 baht, come back three hour'. Turns out that in those days, the only place that could cut a bike key was in Phuket Town, and he only had the one other key. Thinking back, I reckon he probably sent a lad into Phuket Town in a songthaew (for pennies), thus the three hours...

Franklin, please tell us the location you will be staying so that we can help you - if you specify the place, you will probably get some reasonable suggestions from people familiar with local establishments.

E:O

Edited by Ping

Hi Ping,

Not sure where I am going to stay in Phuket, so asking advice from people. Never been to Phuket, so would like advice and recommendations.

But 'preferably 3 star+, with a budget of 1500 - 2500THB. Length of stay 10 nights, and preferably close to cheap clothing markets, where I wont get ripped off. Also nice food where there is nice food :o

The beach maybe within close walkin distance, but not too important.'

Leaning towards Kata or Karon, as Patong has rip-off markets as I've heard.

Any recommendation

Cheers

Hi Ping,

Not sure where I am going to stay in Phuket, so asking advice from people. Never been to Phuket, so would like advice and recommendations.

But 'preferably 3 star+, with a budget of 1500 - 2500THB. Length of stay 10 nights, and preferably close to cheap clothing markets, where I wont get ripped off. Also nice food where there is nice food :D

Any recommendation

Cheers

:o:D:D Now your asking a bit much

Hi Ping,

But 'preferably 3 star+, with a budget of 1500 - 2500THB. Length of stay 10 nights, and preferably close to cheap clothing markets, where I wont get ripped off. Also nice food where there is nice food :D

Any recommendation

Cheers

:o:D:D Now your asking a bit much

Well, thats my ideal location.

But anything close to that would be good :D

Edited by Franklin

Cheap shopping markets, dunno, Rawai not bad.

I buy shorts in Big C, easy to get made into REAL shorts by street sewing guy just along from my digs in Suk soi 25, cheap as.

Buy Ts where ever I go new.

Buy shirts in Queen Victoria market when I visit Melbourne, Bisley, 2 breast pockets, my office, unpickable.

Undadungers, socks and shoes in The Warehouse in NZ,

All the clothes I need.

Edit to add, NO RIPOFFS.

Edited by Zpete

so toss up between Chalong, Rawai, Kata or Karon.

Most likely go to Rawai, as it is close to the markets.

Cheers

The markets in Rawai are for locals, not tourists! They are not good for clothes!

Edited by F1fanatic

Best Place In Phuket

is below:-

large.jpg

The road going to Mainland Thailand.

You want the Beach, then pay the price.

Visit Thailand country-side, Kanachanburi for instead, two rivers, one beach (fresh water)and lots to do :o and not a rip-off-ski place like Beaches in Thailand

original.jpg

Yours truly,

Kan Win :D

Best Place In Phuket

is below:-

large.jpg

The road going to Mainland Thailand.

You want the Beach, then pay the price.

Visit Thailand country-side, Kanachanburi for instead, two rivers, one beach (fresh water)and lots to do :o and not a rip-off-ski place like Beaches in Thailand

original.jpg

Yours truly,

Kan Win :D

Thanks.

Wheres that? No idea where that is? lol

Rawai markets for locals not for tourist? So I should head to Patong? Patong is good markets I heard.

One thing you'll get on this site, 10 people will give 10 different recommendations. However, there is usually merit in every post. What you need to do is sift through them, and align the comments with your own needs. Chalong is fine, central for most things, but transport (motorcycle) is essential. Beach wise, Kata will fit the bill for most people, but best to go further afield sometimes. I recently had a great afternoon at Bang Tao (north west, past Kamala), with pristine sand, not crowded, and some good restaurants. Had not been there for about 2 years, but had a great day. The alternative is to use somewhere like Rawai, and get a longtail boat to a nearby island like Koh Bon, costs about 1000 baht for the whole day (the boat and driver will wait for you), secluded and quiet beaches, nothing else there but a restaurant (food good), but ideally you need to have company to enjoy both the views and the ambience. Many more places to go, but you need to get your feet on the ground, and really decide what kind of holiday you want. Forget the 'bar' scene location, as the amenities typically offered by Patong can be found late at night in any of the Phuket locations, albeit in a lesser density, if that's what you're looking for.

One thing you'll get on this site, 10 people will give 10 different recommendations. However, there is usually merit in every post. What you need to do is sift through them, and align the comments with your own needs. Chalong is fine, central for most things, but transport (motorcycle) is essential. Beach wise, Kata will fit the bill for most people, but best to go further afield sometimes. I recently had a great afternoon at Bang Tao (north west, past Kamala), with pristine sand, not crowded, and some good restaurants. Had not been there for about 2 years, but had a great day. The alternative is to use somewhere like Rawai, and get a longtail boat to a nearby island like Koh Bon, costs about 1000 baht for the whole day (the boat and driver will wait for you), secluded and quiet beaches, nothing else there but a restaurant (food good), but ideally you need to have company to enjoy both the views and the ambience. Many more places to go, but you need to get your feet on the ground, and really decide what kind of holiday you want. Forget the 'bar' scene location, as the amenities typically offered by Patong can be found late at night in any of the Phuket locations, albeit in a lesser density, if that's what you're looking for.

Thanks.

For Chalong how much will transport cost to travel around the Phuket.

Not sure if I will rent a motorcycle, but if I have to I will, just not too familiar with the roads in Phuket.

Cheers

Not sure about motorcycle prices, but have seen many renting shops in the Chalong area. The advantage of Chalong is the ease of getting to other parts of the island, particularly if you're close to the Chalong Circle (5 road roundabout, heading to Rawai, Kata/Karon, Phuket Town, Chalong Pier, and the bypass road which takes you to major shopping centres such as Central Festival, Big C, Tesco Lotus etc. All of these in 10 minutes or so. The area around Chalong circle is also good for a variety of shops and restaurants.

Many fine, quieter beaches in the north of the island, but these are disadvantaged by their relative remoteness and lack of amenities. Still worth a visit though, as you can reach anywhere in Phuket in an hour, and for the best part, there are good sign posts offering directions.

Unless you're coming on a flight/hotel package, my recommendation would be to book only 2 nights accommodation initially, then use that time to decide which location you prefer, and negotiate a good rate for accommodation, you should be able to get a good deal that way, as virtually all hotels and resorts are suffering from lack of bookings at the moment.

Not sure about motorcycle prices, but have seen many renting shops in the Chalong area. The advantage of Chalong is the ease of getting to other parts of the island, particularly if you're close to the Chalong Circle (5 road roundabout, heading to Rawai, Kata/Karon, Phuket Town, Chalong Pier, and the bypass road which takes you to major shopping centres such as Central Festival, Big C, Tesco Lotus etc. All of these in 10 minutes or so. The area around Chalong circle is also good for a variety of shops and restaurants.

Many fine, quieter beaches in the north of the island, but these are disadvantaged by their relative remoteness and lack of amenities. Still worth a visit though, as you can reach anywhere in Phuket in an hour, and for the best part, there are good sign posts offering directions.

Unless you're coming on a flight/hotel package, my recommendation would be to book only 2 nights accommodation initially, then use that time to decide which location you prefer, and negotiate a good rate for accommodation, you should be able to get a good deal that way, as virtually all hotels and resorts are suffering from lack of bookings at the moment.

Thanks alot for the advice.

I heard that even though the hotels and resorts are suffering from a lack of bookings, they arent willing to put the prices down.

• 1 year later...

HI.. i'm a new comer.. i read all the post.. but still can't decide where to go..

i do heard that there is robbers and person loitering around and disturb you..

i'm afraid as i'm going with my girlfriend there for the 1st time..

please give some advise for the info below

what i wanted:-

I'm from Malaysia

3couples (6person)

beach side stay

safety from what i mention above

budget for stay will be around 3000for 2person per night

planing to stay for 3nights, if under budget longer stay will be great

Time of stay around mid-end JUN2010

what is in my mind now:-

Kata beach

Kata palace phuket (info from site, from 1300bath, 300meters form beach,2stars)

Andaman Cannacia resort and spa (2600bath, 4stars

Kata beach centre hotel (1850bath, 3stars, 500 from beach)

Kata gardens apartment (interested, because we can stay in a house in 3rooms if avaliable, but not much info from its site, 5stars, no price rates!)

any suggestion?

HI.. i'm a new comer.. i read all the post.. but still can't decide where to go..

i do heard that there is robbers and person loitering around and disturb you..

i'm afraid as i'm going with my girlfriend there for the 1st time..

please give some advise for the info below

what i wanted:-

I'm from Malaysia

3couples (6person)

beach side stay

safety from what i mention above

budget for stay will be around 3000for 2person per night

planing to stay for 3nights, if under budget longer stay will be great

Time of stay around mid-end JUN2010

what is in my mind now:-

Kata beach

Kata palace phuket (info from site, from 1300bath, 300meters form beach,2stars)

Andaman Cannacia resort and spa (2600bath, 4stars

Kata beach centre hotel (1850bath, 3stars, 500 from beach)

Kata gardens apartment (interested, because we can stay in a house in 3rooms if avaliable, but not much info from its site, 5stars, no price rates!)

any suggestion?

whoops having a bit of a wbbley moment. my post was screwed up due to operater failure.

I wanted to say that with that budget in the low season you can rent a private pool 3 bed villa near laguna no problem. Who ever said the northern beaches lack ameinities has obviously not been to Bangtao or Surin latley.

googlr laguna phuket to get an idea of the area. I think it will suit the kind of holiday your seeking. good luck and have a great time